TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Free trial with Auto Pilot enabled for 1 month

Discussion in 'Model S' started by RocketGoBoom, Oct 21, 2016.

1. RocketGoBoom

RocketGoBoom Member

I have had a Model S since 2013. So I have watched with jealousy for a few years all of the newer features.

I recently placed an order to take advantage of the $7,500 this year.
    Confirmed my option Oct 15th with AP 1.0. Now I am in that limbo thinking I have have AP 2.0 hardware, but not positive.
    December deliver on website.

So I was chatting with another Tesla owner I met in a parking lot a few weeks ago.
    He has the AP1 hardware, but he never activated it.
    He told me that Tesla contacted him after delivery and offered to activate it for a free 1 month trial period.
    The guy said it was fun, but he wasn't sure it was worth it. Tesla offered to activate it permanently for $2,000.

So clearly a 1 month free trial is something Tesla approaches people with after delivery.
    Also clearly Tesla will negotiate over the price of activation after delivery.
    There was no penalty or higher price for activating it after delivery. He told me $2,000 was the offer made by Tesla, which is actually cheaper than the $2,500 or $3,000 that was recently quoted on the website.

Any comments?
    Perhaps there is no downside to waiting on the full auto pilot or enhanced auto pilot.
    I suspect that $1,000 higher price on the website is very negotiable.

2. Ohji

Ohji Member

I think it will be hard to guess what Tesla will do after delivery. Electrek just reported that Tesla is using the Drive PX2 computing platform in the S and X and when released a few months ago, the price was $15,000 per board. I am sure Tesla could have a modified, less expensive version but the hardware this go round is going to be costly. They may therefore be less willing to offer discounts on the price given how expensive the parts are. I would say getting the Enhanced or self-driving functionality at a discount won't happen anytime soon. I would expect discounting only Tesla ends up with a low adoption rate of the new Autopilot tech, which I feel is somewhat unlikely...

3. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Is that hardware going to be standard on the M3?

4. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

Yes. (Or whatever is current at the time, it could be the Drive PX3 by then.)

• Informative x 1