TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Free trials of autopilot coming soon

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by Subevo, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Subevo

Subevo Member

Watched the shareholders meeting and noticed Elon saying they are going to offer free trials of autopilot to owners who haven't got it.
    hopefully it will come with a sweetener to buy at a discounted rate.

2. Terry_B58

Terry_B58 Member

'Free Trial' as in limited time software activation or a loan car?

3. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

Good idea, Sky have been using that strategy to sell upgrades for years e.g. a month's free subscription to Sky Sports and Movies. Offering a free month trial of AP will probably convert into quite a few extra sales. It's one of those features that you didn't realise you needed until you try it and then get hooked!

As for a discounted rate, that's what you get when you buy it with a new order. Otherwise I reckon a lot more people would buy the car without AP with a view to trying it later and then probably never bother. So I can't see that happening, except maybe if you buy it within say 12 months of the original car purchase. Basically get more of those people on the fence to buy in.

4. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

Doubt it. That would just piss off the people who had paid up front and then not got anything very usable for over a year ...

"limited time software activation" was my understanding.

5. Anyoneinracks

Anyoneinracks New Member

Bit annoying that you have to pay so much for it. Buy a German car at half the price of a Tesla and get it as standard.

6. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

Buy the German car then. If enough people are willing to pay for AP then as far as Tesla is concerned that's the price. I would much prefer to have 10x fewer customers, if they would pay 10x the price.

Will the German car work on the non-dual carriageway, rural, A-road-but-barely near my house, reduce speed for the temporary speed limit they've just put up (and speed up again as it exits the limit), and go round the (very sharp) double bend reducing speed appropriately? Even my two-year-old AP1 can do that.

You'll probably think that Tesla servicing price is outrageous too. So buy a Jag iPace ... dirt cheap servicing ...

Either you like Tesla's minimalist cabin / supercharger network / big screen / whatever ... or not ...

• Like x 2
  7. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

What? Pretty much nothing is standard on a "German" car! For example Porsche adaptive cruise with traffic jam assist (steering up to 37 mph) and LDW is £3,200 on a Panamera and not as capable as AP. A *sugar* ton of gear standard on a Tesla are paid options on most German cars too!