Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free unlimited supercharging transfer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi I am looking to buy a private party 2017 Tesla Model S with Free Unlimited Supercharging. Car was ordered December 2016 and delivered 02/2017. Per Tesla’s guidelines this car should be able to transfer over the free unlimited supercharging to any owner. Has anyone heard about them stripping this away or had any experience with this?

I’m not 100% sure but I think if the sale is between two private individuals and you simply change the name on the Tesla account that the free supercharging is unaffected. It’s when the purchase involves ownership passing through Tesla that they strip software features. I could be completely wrong in this, though. This is just my understanding based upon halfway paying attention to various posts about this.

Last edited:
I’m not 100% sure but I think if the sale if between two private individuals and you simply change the name on the Tesla account that the free supercharging is unaffected. It’s when the purchase involves ownership passing through Tesla that they strip software features. I could be completely wrong in this, though. This is just my understanding based upon halfway paying attention to various posts about this.
Nope, you're right. FUSC (along with free premium data for life) will transfer in this instance 100% & if it doesn't Tesla needs to fix it because they broke it. Since it automatically transfers with VIN there's little danger of something happening. Moving forward, the next owner will also receive it via private party sale along with the next & so on.

Be sure to check. Tesla stopped FUSC for the car's life for orders after 1/1/2017, followed by a bunch of different variations. Our X was ordered (as a 90D) in 12/2016 and would have had FUSC for life. I changed the order to an X 100D, still in December I think, but they were not offering FUSC (or ventilated seats) for the new non-Performance 100D's. Delivery was in March 2017. We went on a road trip in April and paid for Supercharging. Then Tesla decided to restore free Supercharging for everyone, but in our case it was only for as long as we owned this car. They even refunded our previous Supercharging costs. We can't transfer it to the next owner, but it really was free!

A 2/2017 delivery 90D or P100D probably has FUSC for the life of the car if it was really ordered in 2016. You'd have to look at the car's Tesla account page to see for sure. A 2/2017 delivery 100D or a 90D ordered in 2017 should have FUSC, but it might end with the first owner. I think other variations were traditional FUSC for the car's life and FUSC that stayed with the owner with some restrictions and didn't stay with the car. I'm not sure if all variations survived in the end.

Some base-model S's were sold with optional FUSC as a $2000 option. That's the only other pre-2017 S/X that I can think of that might not have FUSC. Transferrable FUSC in a 2017+ car cannot be assumed.

Be sure to check. Tesla stopped FUSC for the car's life for orders after 1/1/2017, followed by a bunch of different variations. Our X was ordered (as a 90D) in 12/2016 and would have had FUSC for life. I changed the order to an X 100D, still in December I think, but they were not offering FUSC (or ventilated seats) for the new non-Performance 100D's. Delivery was in March 2017. We went on a road trip in April and paid for Supercharging. Then Tesla decided to restore free Supercharging for everyone, but in our case it was only for as long as we owned this car. They even refunded our previous Supercharging costs. We can't transfer it to the next owner, but it really was free!

A 2/2017 delivery 90D or P100D probably has FUSC for the life of the car if it was really ordered in 2016. You'd have to look at the car's Tesla account page to see for sure. A 2/2017 delivery 100D or a 90D ordered in 2017 should have FUSC, but it might end with the first owner. I think other variations were traditional FUSC for the car's life and FUSC that stayed with the owner with some restrictions and didn't stay with the car. I'm not sure if all variations survived in the end.

Some base-model S's were sold with optional FUSC as a $2000 option. That's the only other pre-2017 S/X that I can think of that might not have FUSC. Transferrable FUSC in a 2017+ car cannot be assumed.

The car had to be ordered by 1/15/17 and delivered by 4/15/17 to qualify for the original version of FUSC which transferred free-of-charge to subsequent owners without any additional steps. Anything after that date came with nothing but would eventually get the newer version which wasn't FUSC as we knew it in the important difference: it was for that owner only and did NOT transfer to subsequent owners.

Tesla Tweet on 1/1/17: "Because of high demand and to give an opportunity to those customers who could not order over the holidays, we are extending it so customers can place an order for a Model S or X until January 15th, 2017 and take delivery by April 15, 2017 to receive free unlimited Supercharging."

That version transferred with the VIN for free from owner to owner. In summary, if he bought it from the original owner of the car that bought in December of 2016 and took delivery before February of 2017 he got FUSC with that car without a doubt.

Side note: Premium Data for Life is another feature that mirrors FUSC in terms of deadlines, dates & transferability.

Do i have to buy the car from a private seller? So if I buy a 2016 MS or MX from say Carvana or other 3rd party dealerships, will I still get FUSC?

The safest bet is private party from someone who for sure has FUSC that's transferrable and not the later versions that weren't transferrable. If the person was the original owner of the car and it was ordered/delivered within the proper windows then it will transfer so long as it's private party to private party. Any time that chain is broken and the car goes to an auction or dealerships odds are good that FUSC has or will fall off. It's hit or miss and some buy cars from a 3rd party dealer that show it but then fall off later through some sort of random internal audit of Tesla. If the car goes back to Tesla at all... it's gone for sure. Some will have "free supercharging" added as a promotion to move that particular car but this doesn't transfer beyond the current owner so it's not the traditional FUSC.

Summary: see sentence one above.

OP, did you purchase the car and did the FUSC transfer?
I just chatted with Tesla and the rep said even with a private sale, the FUSC would not transfer. I didn’t know whether to believe him but then he said the only way to get FUSC is to “buy a used Tesla from Tesla’s used Tesla website to get it transferred.” WTH?

OP, did you purchase the car and did the FUSC transfer?
I just chatted with Tesla and the rep said even with a private sale, the FUSC would not transfer. I didn’t know whether to believe him but then he said the only way to get FUSC is to “buy a used Tesla from Tesla’s used Tesla website to get it transferred.” WTH?
what the sales rep said I believe is bull s_hit.....I believe private sales and transfer Tesla account to you is the only way to keep FUSC......

what the sales rep said I believe is bull s_hit.....I believe private sales and transfer Tesla account to you is the only way to keep FUSC......

....I just chatted with Tesla and the rep said even with a private sale, the FUSC would not transfer. I didn’t know whether to believe him but then he said the only way to get FUSC is to “buy a used Tesla from Tesla’s used Tesla website to get it transferred.” WTH?

The software that enables features has been in the gray zone lately. That includes FSD, EAP, Premium Data Fee Exemption, and of course Unlimited Supercharging.

It is great that if all those features are transferred then there would be no complaints.

Except, if they are not (maybe because of a Tesla's error), then how does a new current owner of a used car prove that?

If you buy a used car from Tesla directly, it would list whether the car has Unlimited Supercharging or not. Its "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement" would indicate whether you bought Unlimited Supercharging or not.

If by mistake, your current used car Unlimited Supercharging is taken away, how can you prove to the court that your car should have that? The court routinely recognizes a standard legal contract that's called "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement". If the feature is not listed as paid there, you might argue that there's a verbal agreement, a written e-mail... but they are not "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement". Because if those e-mail and salespeople promises are good, they would be reflected and documented on the "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement".

You can still argue that the verbal/e-mail agreement should be legal but that's much harder for your case (Tesla could just fire whoever did those verbal/e-mail agreements citing those are contrary to the legal practice of the company because no single employee has the authority to create a para-"Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement".

In summary, if you want to take a chance then just use your faith to believe that your Unlimited Supercharging will be transferred without the appropriate documentation.

If that were me, I would ask for the past or current "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement" that specifically documents that free feature.

under my car on tesla.com, I used to see this:
upload_2020-11-30_1-58-5.png

Now I see only "free unlimited supercharging" with no details. I was one of those that ordered in late 2016 and took delivery in 2017.

The full screenshot I have includes my Vin and the rest of the car details. I figure when I eventually upgrade to a new Tesla, I'll sell privately as to keep the supercharging, FSD and premium connectivity for the next owner ( and hopefully for me, get a better sales price).

The MVPA does not have the details about transferring the supercharging, that only appeared on the website.

The software that enables features has been in the gray zone lately. That includes FSD, EAP, Premium Data Fee Exemption, and of course Unlimited Supercharging.

It is great that if all those features are transferred then there would be no complaints.

Except, if they are not (maybe because of a Tesla's error), then how does a new current owner of a used car prove that?

If you buy a used car from Tesla directly, it would list whether the car has Unlimited Supercharging or not. Its "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement" would indicate whether you bought Unlimited Supercharging or not.

If by mistake, your current used car Unlimited Supercharging is taken away, how can you prove to the court that your car should have that? The court routinely recognizes a standard legal contract that's called "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement". If the feature is not listed as paid there, you might argue that there's a verbal agreement, a written e-mail... but they are not "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement". Because if those e-mail and salespeople promises are good, they would be reflected and documented on the "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement".

You can still argue that the verbal/e-mail agreement should be legal but that's much harder for your case (Tesla could just fire whoever did those verbal/e-mail agreements citing those are contrary to the legal practice of the company because no single employee has the authority to create a para-"Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement".

In summary, if you want to take a chance then just use your faith to believe that your Unlimited Supercharging will be transferred without the appropriate documentation.

If that were me, I would ask for the past or current "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement" that specifically documents that free feature.
This is exactly my concern. I just chatted with another rep. She said it would transfer. Obviously Tesla is deliberately making it confusing. Yes I understand Tesla should not take away FUSC if I buy from a private seller who’s also the original owner. But if Tesla DOES take it away? Yes I should contact them and fight to get them to put it back. But how? What am I going to tell them? Now I couldn’t find any black and white stating that the FUSC will transfer if the car was delivered before January 2017.

...confusing...

When you buy a new or used car from Tesla, the "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement" would indicate which options have been paid or included such as Free Unlimited Supercharging at $0.00 below:

upload_2020-9-29_15-19-22-png.593555

If you bought it from someone else, and Tesla wants to take away your 20" Sliver Wheels as an example above, you can show the court that those wheels were included and paid for at $0.00.

Same with Free Unlimited Supercharging above.

It's nice if Tesla leaves the Free Unlimited Supercharging alone and not taking it away for the next owner who has no documentation on the Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement but being nice is not a legally enforceable contract.

I just sold my 2016 Model S that was purchased used from Tesla in June of 2019. The car came with free unlimited supercharging and free premium connectivity. I went on Tesla's website and using the chat feature and I asked an agent if both of these were transferible. They ask for the VIN and checked on it. It took a bit and they back and said yes. Fast forward to the car selling private party and transfering the car to the new owners Tesla account and boom it all transfered to him no issues. So if you are looking to buy a Tesla and want to know if you will get the free unlimited supercharging do a web chat with Tesla. All you need is the VIN to confirm it. Make sure you take a screenshot of the chat just so you have it as proof. Every car is different based on when it was bought and where it was bought. I hope this helps someone as I was sweating bullets that the new owner would not get these perks.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Two quick questions:

1) Is there a way, without contacting Tesla, to determine if your MS has transferable FUSC? When I go into my Tesla account, Click on my MS then Details, Full Self-Driving Capability listed. I cannot click on nor find where another post showed a Supercharging screen that explained more.

2) If you should have two Tesla's on an account, how would you transfer the vehicle with FUSC to a new owner? I would want to retain my Tesla account for the existing (wife's) second Tesla and probably for a newer replacement Tesla MS (if they ever ship).

Thanks

This is an old thread, but I wanted to provide an update with the latest information I found since it might help others in the future: Tesla Free Supercharging (Unlimited): How to Check if You Have It!

If you are looking to sell your Tesla, you can go to your Tesla account under Vehicle details and look at the HTML to find the code for Supercharging:

SC00: No Supercharging

SC01: Unlimited Free Supercharging (no restriction)

SC04: Paid Supercharging

SC05: Unlimited Free Supercharging (but not transferable between owners)

SC06: Unlimited Free Supercharging (time-based, or time-bound)

It's unfortunate that you have to look at the HTML in a page to determine what you have. I tried asking Tesla directly, but they couldn't give me a definitive answer.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: BrisbaneB
Hi I am looking to buy a private party 2017 Tesla Model S with Free Unlimited Supercharging. Car was ordered December 2016 and delivered 02/2017. Per Tesla’s guidelines this car should be able to transfer over the free unlimited supercharging to any owner. Has anyone heard about them stripping this away or had any experience with this?
Take this for what it’s worth, cause I was told this by a used car dealer but if the car was traded into Tesla and sold at auction, SuC was removed. I’ve tried to call Tesla and ask but I wasn’t able to get any real info. I’d be wary of anything that has more than one owner and isn’t private party.