Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Unlimited Supercharging wasn't immediately taken away - 2017 MS75

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings! I purchased a preowned 2017 MS75 with about 800 miles on the odo back in March 2018, when I registered I had free supercharging, I just logged into my Tesla account and noticed my free supercharging has been replaced with the free 400 KWH per year only.....what gives?

20180301_194948.jpg

Attachments

• 20180301_194948.jpg
    20180301_194948.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 20180707_033424.jpg
    20180707_033424.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 140
  • Informative
Reactions: croman and MP3Mike
Quoting form post #1...
I purchased a preowned 2017 MS75 with about 800 miles on the odo back in March 2018, when I registered I had free supercharging, I just logged into my Tesla account and noticed my free supercharging has been replaced with the free 400 KWH per year only

Quoting from post #4...
If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will not transfer to the next owner.

It sounds like the underlined was applied in a delayed fashion rather than immediately, but -- other than timeline -- the actual and described behavior seem to match.

Am I missing something?

Possibly? But once ownership transferred to me it should have never falsely stated that I had free unlimited supercharging, I would have rather gotten the free 400 KWH credits from the beginning lol.... Oh well... I have sent a message through my Tesla account, will see what they say and report back.

Did you buy it from Tesla? If not there would be no way for them to know it’s changed hands until the papers went through.

Bought it from a Ford dealer, original owner got in over their head and traded it in for a Toyota Camry I was told. Funny part is I had to provide proof of ownership before they put it on my Tesla account and once they did I had free unlimited supercharging and had it for a few months.

If I remember correctly, some S/X would have free Supercharging despite of generations of ownership while others for only 1 current ownership and will not be transferred to another. Which is which is disclosed in My Account Page.

1) My 2012 Models would transfer its free Supercharging no matter how many generations of ownership.

2) My 2017 Model X clearly says that the free Supercharging is only good for current original ownership and will not transfer to the next.

Because you bought it used, it might be the 2nd case but it might have taken some time for Tesla bureaucracy to apply that correctly after ownership transfer.

Follow up here - how does Tesla track ownership changes? If they only do so by following the "request to change ownership" business process, then one can tip-toe around this by never using this process.

Example - someone buys a S/X with unlimited, 1 generation of ownership charging. They create a specific purpose email address for the mytesla account (e.g. [email protected]). Upon the private sale of the car, the email address login information is transferred, the contact details on the mytesla account are updated (no restriction I'm aware of to changing mailing addresses / phone numbers) to the new owner and a "change ownership" request is never submitted to tesla.

Seems doable?

The first-owner-only free Supercharging started in January 2017. I gave up free Supercharging of any kind to get one of the first X 100D's in early 2017. But then they restored first-owner only free Supercharging retroactively with a referral. December 2017 is definitely after the free Supercharging for life window. There have been a few threads complaining of delayed free Supercharging termination, also due to being a salvage titled car. I guess Tesla hasn't worked out the tracking internally yet.

• Informative
Reactions: JohnnyG and Haxster
Follow up here - how does Tesla track ownership changes? If they only do so by following the "request to change ownership" business process, then one can tip-toe around this by never using this process.

Example - someone buys a S/X with unlimited, 1 generation of ownership charging. They create a specific purpose email address for the mytesla account (e.g. [email protected]). Upon the private sale of the car, the email address login information is transferred, the contact details on the mytesla account are updated (no restriction I'm aware of to changing mailing addresses / phone numbers) to the new owner and a "change ownership" request is never submitted to tesla.

Seems doable?
Very doable.

Seems doable?

Things might get tricky when it comes to paying for servicing: even if the payment details are changed, the owner's name would not.