TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Free Unlimited Supercharging wasn't immediately taken away - 2017 MS75

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Snipealot, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Snipealot

Snipealot Member

Greetings! I purchased a preowned 2017 MS75 with about 800 miles on the odo back in March 2018, when I registered I had free supercharging, I just logged into my Tesla account and noticed my free supercharging has been replaced with the free 400 KWH per year only.....what gives?

2. kev1n

kev1n Member

when did the previous owner take delivery?

3. Yaro

Yaro Member

Is your car a branded title?

4. Snipealot

Snipealot Member

20180301_194948.jpg

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. Snipealot

Snipealot Member

Pictures uploaded before and after, I had free supercharging for months. No title brands, previous owner took delivery in December 2017 I believe.

6. Yaro

Yaro Member

That's weird. Call Tesla tomorrow and find out.

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Quoting form post #1...
    Quoting from post #4...
    It sounds like the underlined was applied in a delayed fashion rather than immediately, but -- other than timeline -- the actual and described behavior seem to match.

Am I missing something?

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 1
  8. Snipealot

Snipealot Member

Possibly? But once ownership transferred to me it should have never falsely stated that I had free unlimited supercharging, I would have rather gotten the free 400 KWH credits from the beginning lol.... Oh well... I have sent a message through my Tesla account, will see what they say and report back.

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Agreed. I would call that a software/site bug.

10. Asterix187

Asterix187 Member

Did you buy it from Tesla? If not there would be no way for them to know it’s changed hands until the papers went through.

• Like x 1
  11. houstonian

houstonian ಠ_ಠ

@Snipealot - you may want to re-upload your screenshots without the VIN / other personal data.

12. Snipealot

Snipealot Member

Bought it from a Ford dealer, original owner got in over their head and traded it in for a Toyota Camry I was told. Funny part is I had to provide proof of ownership before they put it on my Tesla account and once they did I had free unlimited supercharging and had it for a few months.

13. Snipealot

Snipealot Member

Thanks for the tip, I was too lazy to edit the VIN out of the pictures and didn’t think much of it and if someone wants to use my referral code then awesome!

• Like x 2
  14. MarkKW

MarkKW Member

The big question is... do you love the car still?

• Like x 1
  15. Tam

Tam Active Member

If I remember correctly, some S/X would have free Supercharging despite of generations of ownership while others for only 1 current ownership and will not be transferred to another. Which is which is disclosed in My Account Page.

1) My 2012 Models would transfer its free Supercharging no matter how many generations of ownership.

2) My 2017 Model X clearly says that the free Supercharging is only good for current original ownership and will not transfer to the next.

Because you bought it used, it might be the 2nd case but it might have taken some time for Tesla bureaucracy to apply that correctly after ownership transfer.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  16. houstonian

houstonian ಠ_ಠ

Follow up here - how does Tesla track ownership changes? If they only do so by following the "request to change ownership" business process, then one can tip-toe around this by never using this process.

Example - someone buys a S/X with unlimited, 1 generation of ownership charging. They create a specific purpose email address for the mytesla account (e.g. [email protected]). Upon the private sale of the car, the email address login information is transferred, the contact details on the mytesla account are updated (no restriction I'm aware of to changing mailing addresses / phone numbers) to the new owner and a "change ownership" request is never submitted to tesla.

Seems doable?

17. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

It seems the thread title should be changed to “Free unlimited supercharging that I wasn’t entitled to taken away”.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  18. animorph

animorph Member

The first-owner-only free Supercharging started in January 2017. I gave up free Supercharging of any kind to get one of the first X 100D's in early 2017. But then they restored first-owner only free Supercharging retroactively with a referral. December 2017 is definitely after the free Supercharging for life window. There have been a few threads complaining of delayed free Supercharging termination, also due to being a salvage titled car. I guess Tesla hasn't worked out the tracking internally yet.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  19. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Very doable.

20. .jg.

.jg. Member

Things might get tricky when it comes to paying for servicing: even if the payment details are changed, the owner's name would not.