TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Free unlimited supercharging

Discussion in 'Model X' started by tes-s, Aug 29, 2018.

1. tes-s

tes-s Supporting Member

I am going to buy a MX with a referral code. It comes with free unlimited lifetime supercharging as long as I own the car. I wanted to know if I transferred the car to may daughter, would the supercharging transfer so I asked Tesla.

They said yes, which was nice to hear. But I'm not sure I trust my chat buddy Alec because he also said it would transfer with the car if I sold the car to someone else.

Does anyone know whether the free unlimited supercharging will transfer if the car is sold to an immediate family member? Capture.PNG

2. Seanjay

Seanjay Member

It will. I purchased a pre-owned X that came with unlimited supercharging.

3. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Supporting Member

I believe Alec is wrong. Free supercharging is only for the original owner on new S and X with a referral code.

From Tesla:

"Free unlimited Supercharging will only apply to the original vehicle owner and only for the duration of original vehicle ownership."

• Like x 1
  4. tes-s

tes-s Supporting Member

That is what I understand. But do they make an exception for transferring ownership to a family member? For example, our DMV treats it as a "transfer" as opposed to a "sale" and does not charge sales tax.

5. jareade

jareade Supporting Member

Alec is incorrect, at least with respect to the non-family member transfer (and likely the family member transfer, unless you also put your daughter on the title at the time of purchase). See Referral Program (highlighting mine):

Related vehicle order must be placed between May 19, 2017 and September 16, 2018. Owners who reach each level of referral orders after July 31, 2018 will be eligible for updated vehicle awards above. Related solar energy system order must be placed between September 28, 2017 and September 16, 2018. Referred vehicle orders must be delivered and solar energy system must be installed to qualify for awards. Used vehicles are not eligible. Model 3 orders are not eligible with the exception of Model 3 Performance. All Model 3 Performance orders placed before August 1, 2018 will be given unlimited Supercharging, no referral required. Solar Roof is not eligible for the extended limited warranty. Limit of 5 referrals per owner. Referral code must be applied at the time of order and cannot be added after the order has been placed. Free unlimited Supercharging will only apply to the original vehicle owner and only for the duration of original vehicle ownership. Referral codes may be shared and applied in any country where Model S, Model X, Model 3 Performance and Tesla solar energy systems are available, in accordance with local terms and conditions. Credits are valid for 12 months from the referral vehicle delivery date or solar installation date and can be used toward services, vehicle accessories, or new Tesla products. Credits can not be applied against solar lease or power purchase agreement payments.

• Helpful x 1
  6. SSonnentag

Well, who knows. Apparently Tesla has changed their statements over the months.

“You have free, unlimited Supercharging for your current Tesla vehicle as well as any new Model S or Model X purchased before December 31, 2017. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will transfer to the next owner. In addition, up to five friends you refer will also receive free Supercharging. Read our Supercharging terms.” reads the updated terms on Tesla’s website.

7. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.12.1.1

Doesn't that only show for cars ordered before January 15th, 2017? Cars ordered after that should say that Supercharging does not transfer.

Did you check the wording for both of your 2017 and 2018 cars to see if the text is the same?

• Like x 1
  8. SSonnentag

From our Model X purchased last Friday:

You have free, unlimited Supercharging for your current Tesla vehicle as well as any new Model S or Model X purchased before January 31, 2018. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will not transfer to the next owner. Also, up to five friends you refer will also receive free Supercharging. Read our Supercharging terms.

And my October 2017 Model S says the exact same thing, which disagrees with the previous quote I posted.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. Peteybabes

Peteybabes redneck drivin' a tesla...

what i want to know is: if i sell my car and still have a mytesla account, do i still have a referral code? or do i have to use somebody else's again?

10. Anzir

Anzir Supporting Member

Sell your car?? Bite your tongue.

I think your referral code will be gone because your My Tesla account will no longer be valid if you do not have any current Tesla products.

11. Nerdy_Engineer

Nerdy_Engineer Brett - The Nerdy Engineer

I believe for Supercharging to be transferrable to the next owner, the car had to be ordered before January 15, 2017. The delivery date could be after that and still qualify.

12. SSonnentag

You're probably right, but how does that square with the following statement quoted from Tesla by numerous EV websites? I can't find the statement anywhere on Tesla's current website.

“You have free, unlimited Supercharging for your current Tesla vehicle as well as any new Model S or Model X purchased before December 31, 2017. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will transfer to the next owner.

My S was purchased and delivered before December 31, 2017.

13. SSonnentag

I'm fine with supercharging not transferring as I bought both vehicles with the assumption that it would NOT transfer anyway. It's just the conflicting statements that I'm now finding that have me confused.

14. MorrisonHiker

See this thread or many others that already discuss this: Lifetime supercharging?

Edit: I guess you already read that thread and agreed back then that it doesn't transfer: Lifetime supercharging?

• Funny x 1
  15. jareade

jareade Supporting Member

It's not the most artful language and covers a period of time where Tesla was flip-flopping on free Supercharging and I believe trying to cover a few topics at once (the car you already owned that was purchased pre-January 15, 2017 as well as trying to get you to buy another Tesla before December 31, 2017 - which was another one of those Supercharging is ending deadlines), but I believe it means:

You have free, unlimited Supercharging for your current Tesla vehicle [purchased on or before January 15, 2017] as well as any new Model S or Model X purchased before December 31, 2017. If you choose to sell your current Tesla [purchased on or before January 15, 2017], free Supercharging will transfer to the next owner.

[Implicit in the above statement is that any Tesla purchased after January 15, 2017 will not have transferable Supercharging - and we have seen that play out in this manner.]

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  16. flar

flar Member

This text is taken from the page for an existing S/X owner. It says that their current vehicle has unlimited supercharging. It also says that if that person is to buy a new S/X before 12/2017 then that person will get unlimited supercharging on that additional S/X that they buy. That additional Tesla that that particular person buys must be bought by 12/2017 and that does not create a general rule for any other S/X sales or purchases. In that particular case, the "will transfer" text is for their current Tesla and is likely because they purchased that Tesla before the early 2017 deadline when FUSC became non-transferable. To put it specifically:

Ordered before 1/15/2017 (and supposedly must have taken delivery by 4/15/17), FUSC which transfers with that vehicle. The MyTesla page will include the "will transfer" phrase and it is referring to that vehicle only.

Ordered after mid-May 2017, only get FUSC if they are a previous owner or if they use a referral code. That FUSC does not transfer. The MyTesla page should not contain the "will transfer" phrase, but they did have some mistakes on that during the transition time period (for some people's accounts that fell between the deadline cracks the phrase was appearing and disappearing).

Ordered between those 2 dates, they grandfathered those people in to FUSC because they didn't have the referral program in place yet, but I don't know if they grandfathered them in with transfer or not. You'd have to check their MyTesla page to see if it includes the "will transfer" phrase and then for good measure I'd double check with a Service Center to make sure that the transfer property is enabled on their car.

The "you will get FUSC on any new S/X you purchase before December" text was pretty much a red herring because anyone who had a car could refer themself in any case, but I suppose it covered a few people who had a car, sold it, waited a few months, and then ordered a new S/X - they wouldn't have an active account to refer themselves and Tesla would have likely given it to them anyway, but it is so easy to get a referral that it wouldn't have been much of a stumbling block in any case.

• Like x 1
  17. Maximilien

Maximilien Member

I can answer this as I have both cars that have different statement.

My Model S delivered in 2016 December can supercharge for free and can transfer the FUSC to new owner.
    My Model X delivered in 2017 June can supercharge for free but can NOT transfer the FUSC to new owner.

I am afraid Alec is wrong.

18. MorrisonHiker

If ordered between January 15th, 2017 and May 2017, it does not transfer.

We have three cars:
    12/2016 - 90D FUSC (standard) will transfer when sold.
    1/2017 - 100D - Originally, 100Ds didn't include FUSC when ordered but it was added retroactively. FUSC does not transfer when sold.
    12/2017 - 75D - FUSC (via referral code) will not transfer when sold.

• Like x 1
  19. Maximilien

Maximilien Member

I remember some people chose 90D over 100D right before 1/15/2017. The price was only 3K difference.

This was the time when Tesla tried to get rid of 90 kwh batteries.

If they knew it was going to retro on FUSC, I am pretty sure they would have chosen 100D due to the much bigger battery size. Although on paper it is only 10kwh, I remember the actual battery size difference is like 17 kwh. Fortunately, people in TMC were gentle enough to move on with their 90D and most did not complain about it after they found out. Or maybe I missed that "angry customer" thread.

20. tes-s

tes-s Supporting Member

I still don't know if Tesla will treat a transfer to a family member as a change of ownership or not.

I have learned that Tesla chat is clueless.