Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Unlimited Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone been able to get Tesla to add free unlimited supercharging to a used car purchase?

Hi Andrew

That doesn't very encouraging.

If you bought used directly from Tesla (website or Tesla sources) then your receipt would indicate that so I wouldn't worry. Just give Tesla a call and they will straighten it out.

However, if you bought used from non-Tesla source such as private owner sales, non-Tesla dealers, then it might be in the grey area on whether you can get that or not. It's kind of complicated.

Good luck!

Hi Andrew

That doesn't very encouraging.

If you bought used directly from Tesla (website or Tesla sources) then your receipt would indicate that so I wouldn't worry. Just give Tesla a call and they will straighten it out.

However, if you bought used from non-Tesla source such as private owner sales, non-Tesla dealers, then it might be in the grey area on whether you can get that or not. It's kind of complicated.

Good luck!
I'm curious if they would add it to a vehicle without free unlimited supercharging

I'm curious if they would add it to a vehicle without free unlimited supercharging

The only scenario that I know of was the early Model S 60kWh who would pay $2,000 for the free unlimited supercharging (well the "free" here costs $2,000). Actually, those early 60kWh cars didn't come with Supercharging at all. They had to use AC (alternating current) charging such as 120V AC or 240V AC but they cannot use DC fast charge such as Tesla Supercharger or Electrify America... Thus, for $2,000 more, they could gain the function of DC fast charge and Supercharger at that time was free so the got free Supercharging for life after the $2,000.

After that, I haven't heard that Tesla would take your money in exchange for free unlimited supercharging anymore.

Negative, here as well. I've tried, begged, pleaded. And because of that in combination of the awful used car sales experience buying direct from Tesla, I've regretted not purchasing from a private party or Carvana. I feel like I would've gotten more bang for my buck if I had done the leg work to find what cars had what features.

@mackgoo is right. You can buy used vehicles direct from Tesla that have free supercharging listed already as a feature. I thought Op meant to add it as a feature to a listed used vehicle that *didn't* have it.

Correct!

If you buy directly from Tesla, new or used, your receipt would indicate whether it has a description "free unlimited supercharging" or the absence of that on the receipt.

motor-vehicle-purchase-agreement.png

Last edited:
I found the perfect 2019 Model X 100D with FSD and it has <1,000 miles on the odometer. But the only thing is it doesn't have free unlimited supercharging.

Because we road trip a lot, we travel about 30,000 miles and supercharging costs would accumulate overtime.

...I thought Op meant to add it as a feature to a listed used vehicle that *didn't* have it.

They could but would they is another question.

There is no technical reasons that they cannot. It's software enabling so even a hacker can flip one single digit from 0 to 1 and you would have Free Supercharging.

Tesla gets returned cars in a constant stream from lease expirations, from trade-ins, from returns... then they can reconfigure any way they can. They can turn off Free Supercharging for cars that already had it or they can turn on Free Supercharging for cars that didn't have it depending on their promotional goals at different times.

However, if you have one without Free Supercharging and you want Tesla to grant you that, good luck on the persuasion!

I found the perfect 2019 Model X 100D with FSD and it has <1,000 miles on the odometer. But the only thing is it doesn't have free unlimited supercharging.

Because we road trip a lot, we travel about 30,000 miles and supercharging costs would accumulate overtime.
From my experience you’ll have better luck getting a used one with all the features especially unlimited supercharging if you buy on the private market or any other dealer than Tesla. Tesla intentionally removes it from their used vehicles that are priced at a good deal.

I have found the opposite to be true. Tesla often adds it to cars when it wants to slim down inventory, just like they added it and the end of 2Q to move more cars. There are literally dozens of their CPO cars that have it right now. And while dealing with Tesla can be a pain, at least you get a new car warranty when you buy from them.

Reactions: Bigriver
I bought a CPO MX a couple days ago. I was watching the price go up and down for a week, then all of a sudden they added free unlimited Supercharging to it (with the caveat that it does not transfer to subsequent owners after me). I pulled the trigger when the price dropped an additional $600 a couple hours later.

• Informative
Reactions: Hebert