Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Unlimited Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it just me, or is this a massive benefit that will keep the value of cars which have this fully transferable benefit high?

I have a 2016 P90D that I bought second hand from a private party. The car includes free unlimited supercharging. I don’t use supercharging hardly at all (only have 1x as a matter of fact) but suspect it will be nice on road trips.

I was just thinking for someone who drives a lot, it could be a huge financial benefit - especially as energy costs continue to rise. Just curious what people’s thoughts are on this.

Another factor to consider is the capping that Tesla does after "too much" Supercharging, whatever that means. While still meeting their obligation of free Supercharging, we know Tesla does this to protect the battery and a significantly reduced rate would likely reduce the value of it to a future owner.

• Informative
Reactions: GeoX750
Is it just me, or is this a massive benefit that will keep the value of cars which have this fully transferable benefit high?

I have a 2016 P90D that I bought second hand from a private party. The car includes free unlimited supercharging. I don’t use supercharging hardly at all (only have 1x as a matter of fact) but suspect it will be nice on road trips.

I was just thinking for someone who drives a lot, it could be a huge financial benefit - especially as energy costs continue to rise. Just curious what people’s thoughts are on this.
I know people (included myself) that wont sell the car because we have free premium internet and lifetime supercharging. Cost of charging the car exceeds gas prices if I charge during the day. My off peak is is at $0.15 but my high is at $0.56 and going up soon. I do have solar and that helps greatly for now. Really enjoyed not having a bill for 7 years now.

Reactions: nomis_nehc
I know people (included myself) that wont sell the car because we have free premium internet and lifetime supercharging. Cost of charging the car exceeds gas prices if I charge during the day. My off peak is is at $0.15 but my high is at $0.56 and going up soon. I do have solar and that helps greatly for now. Really enjoyed not having a bill for 7 years now.
Man, that’s insane. Here in Lehi, UT the city provides the power. I pay $0.0876 per kW. Doesn’t matter the volume, time of day or day off week. We’re very fortunate.

Man, that’s insane. Here in Lehi, UT the city provides the power. I pay $0.0876 per kW. Doesn’t matter the volume, time of day or day off week. We’re very fortunate.
Thats amazing. City departments are non profit. But Edison and PGE are for profit so we get the crap end of the deal. They changed their time of use schedule which is even worst now. Hard to run away from the high peak times. There will be a point where going solar and having battery backups will be the only way to go. I think about 50% of my community has solar now. Well see what the future holds

Reactions: msm859

Wow, those rates are high. I'm in Sacramento, CA and our off-peak is $0.07 and peak is $0.34.

Wow, those rates are high. I'm in Sacramento, CA and our off-peak is $0.07 and peak is $0.34.

I'm on PG&E in Merced (central valley) EV2-A. It's nearly doubled since 2015.
Capture.PNG

Yeah, city provides electricity here and we pay $0.10/kWh in the summer and $0.08/kWh in the winter time with no other variances for ToU or anything like that. The only downside is that it makes solar a non-starter due to how long it will take to recover the investment. But hey, I'll just dry the tears away with all the hundred dollar bills I save on utilities w/o the need for solar. lol

Yeah, city provides electricity here and we pay $0.10/kWh in the summer and $0.08/kWh in the winter time with no other variances for ToU or anything like that. The only downside is that it makes solar a non-starter due to how long it will take to recover the investment. But hey, I'll just dry the tears away with all the hundred dollar bills I save on utilities w/o the need for solar. lol
Solar is never a "non-starter," it's just that some locals are going to have a longer payback period than others intrinsically. I live in Colorado as well, with rates at about 0.11/Kwh. I invested in a solar system six years ago when the payback was about 11 years. Solar prices have dropped so much that a current payback would be more like six years now.

If you are building new, it is a no brainer to install a solar system at the time of build (especially in sunny Colorado). But any system is worth it if you are committed to the residence for the foreseeable future. Even without the commitment, a solar system almost always repays itself at the time of sale. Not to mention the repayment of knowing your electricity is clean and not coming from a coal-fired plant where 50% of Colorado's electricity is produced.

And as for free supercharging...I have it, and I am hesitant to ever get rid of my 2016 S. It's more a psychological impact than financial. However, I still dream of this car carrying me around the country during retirement for "free" (whenever that actually happens).