Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Unlimited Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are 3rd party apps the only way to see what supercharging stats are?
If so, are there apps that can see past stored data?

Also, does anyone know the levels at which they limit free supercharging? I have used about 14,000kwh my first year with about 48,000 miles per year, I try to do 50% supercharger and 50% home charging. The benefit for me is worth it due to the amount I drive, but I definitely am curious when they limit this.

It is unlikely Tesla would stop you from using free superchanging. Some argue that free ought to exclude local charging, but that would be difficult to enforce.

The most likely limitation is if you charge rate slows over time to protect the battery. But slower charging creates congestion at peak times and is therefore also unlikely.

• Informative
Reactions: HCS2.0
It is unlikely Tesla would stop you from using free superchanging. Some argue that free ought to exclude local charging, but that would be difficult to enforce.

The most likely limitation is if you charge rate slows over time to protect the battery. But slower charging creates congestion at peak times and is therefore also unlikely.
I can see the argument but I cant stress how many times its saved me when I forgot to plug in and had to go on a trip

seems I've read more current posts/threads, that supercharging on current battery packs (P90 V3 and anything 2018 and up) doesnt significantly degrade battery packs. And what degradation that does occur, wont really show up until many hundreds of thousands of miles later.

Is that accurate?

• Helpful
seems I've read more current posts/threads, that supercharging on current battery packs (P90 V3 and anything 2018 and up) doesnt significantly degrade battery packs. And what degradation that does occur, wont really show up until many hundreds of thousands of miles later.

Is that accurate?
Based on what I've read (to include Elon's Tweets about a year ago after long-term data was dissected) that's the conclusion I arrived at. I still avoid it when possible and still charge to 80% max (unless on road trips) as was originally suggested many years ago to prolong battery life but I don't lose sleep over doing it due in large part to the newer data that suggests it's less punitive than they originally extrapolated based on early data.

Based on what I've read (to include Elon's Tweets about a year ago after long-term data was dissected) that's the conclusion I arrived at. I still avoid it when possible and still charge to 80% max (unless on road trips) as was originally suggested many years ago to prolong battery life but I don't lose sleep over doing it due in large part to the newer data that suggests it's less punitive than they originally extrapolated based on early data.

Yes, good points. I've SC'ed maybe, 6 times total over the past 12 months. Not many road trips and even though the closest SC is not only just 4 miles away, but literally halfway between home and work on my route, I never used it when just local. (And I have FUSC). Didnt feel like waking earlier or getting home later just to sit and SC. And since KWH here in Va is not that expensive, not a huge financial benefit to me to SC locally.

At home, I have started to lower the amps somewhat during overnight charging, not so much for battery protection, but to reduce some of the heat/stress on the mobile charger that I use (I have no need for the $500 wall connector and it's faster charging speed) during charging.

I have a 2014 P85D and I'd love to upgrade to a newer like P100DL or something similar for the sole reason of not having chargegate/batterygate issues anymore.

However, I take a 400 mile trip 2 times a month and do a lot of distance driving on weekends, so the FREE supercharging for life and free infotainment whatever it is are very important to me, (mostly the free SC though).

I have free electricity at home (live in Army housing) but i can only charge off 120v outlet because i use the 240v dryer plug for my F@H computers. and the highway is 45 min drive so I Have to use the SC that is in Barstow simply to be able to make it home even after a basic trip to home depot or something and having that there for free is quite very important.

If the power wasnt free, (as it wasn't for the first year i lived here) it is $0.12/kw regardless of time of day.

It’s cool brother. We won’t tell the government you’re mining Bitcoin with free electricity instead of drying your clothes. Your secret is safe here. ;)

Folding at Home, I'm helping support the process and find cures for diseases.

And my dryer uses 120v, I got one of those fancy LG washer dryer combos. I put in dry dirty clothes and remove dry clean clothes from one machine. I don't have the "oh crap I forgot to put them in the dryer" problem anymore.

Folding at Home, I'm helping support the process and find cures for diseases.

And my dryer uses 120v, I got one of those fancy LG washer dryer combos. I put in dry dirty clothes and remove dry clean clothes from one machine. I don't have the "oh crap I forgot to put them in the dryer" problem anymore.
While your LG combo machine sounds interesting, I dry clothes the old fashioned way by hanging them on clothes lines! My lines run across my oversized utility room, so I don't have to worry about weather. More energy efficient than a clothes dryer; haven't used one of those in three decades.

I do have to remember to take the clothes out of the washing machine and hang them, so not as convenient as your combo machine.