TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Freeway chicken with AP

Discussion in 'Model S' started by EVChris, Aug 29, 2018.

1. EVChris

EVChris Member

I was driving on 580 last night in the middle lane on TACC doing around 65. A very new BMW cuts in front of me from the right, very close. People have cut me off before and I've cut people off before. Usually it's people zipping from lane to lane doing 5 to 10 mph faster. But this was like 2 or 3mph faster and really close from the side.

So my theory was that he getting his yayas playing chicken with AP cars. It happened kinda quickly and I didn't respond by jerking right or slowing down or whatever AP would have thought appropriate since I wasn't on AP.

I also think this will become a thing.

2. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Member

Sounds like pretty typical BMW behavior honestly.

• Like x 7
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  3. luckyj

luckyj Member

Yes, stupidity has most definitely become a thing.

• Like x 1
  4. roblab

roblab Active Member

Could you pull over to the next lane right? Sounds like they're trying to tell you you're going too slow to be in the fast lane. I've never had anyone try to "prove" something, especially not BMWs. Must be an Oakland thing. I hope.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  5. EVChris

EVChris Member

I definitely wasn't going too slow. I was on TACC with 7 car lengths tracking the car in front of me. The BMW was in the left lane going faster than my lane was. He cut next to me and then passed and then cut into my lane comfortably ahead. He then changed into the right lane.

Honestly, I'm on TACC doing traffic speed. Maybe he made a mistake or maybe he was playing with an AP car. But I've never had anyone do that maneuver before.

6. luckyj

luckyj Member

EVChris I'm really confused trying follow that updated sequence.

Are you saying that the car passed you on the lane to your left, changed into your lane, moved to the lane to your right, dropped behind you, then sped up and cut oh-so-close in front you you?

7. EVChris

EVChris Member

He was passing me on the left. He s]swerved fairly close to me when we were about even and recovered. He then passed me on the left and merged into my lane normally. He then changed to the right lane. It was the swerving that unnerved me. Everything else was normal. Speeds were about 65.

Occasionally people change lanes with someone in their blindspot. The blindspot driver gets annoyed but can usually handle the situation. It happens. But this guy was passing me and he had to have seen me. That particular situation has never happened to me.

8. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

sounds more like an amateur driver than anything. the majority of people don't even know what autopilot is let alone which cars would have it.

• Like x 2
  9. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

AP wouldn't handle the situation any differently than just TACC also.

10. Phrixotrichus

Phrixotrichus Member

Seriously...no one cares if you`re driving a Tesla or a Dacia on the street and any form of TACC for any manufacturer would have braked hard there.

Its not always about Tesla..........

• Like x 1
  11. mburnet6

mburnet6 Member

I had this situation happen a couple times right after I got my Model S. I don't know why people did it, but it did lead to me buying a dash cam to be safe.

• Like x 1
  12. Upscaleman

Upscaleman Member

Go on youtube and watch a million or so hours of Russian dashcam footage. You will learn that people are idiots, no matter what car is next to them.

• Like x 3
  13. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

Me thinks it is not a ‘he’ -:)

14. dedicatedtek

dedicatedtek Member

human_stupidity.jpg

• Funny x 4
  15. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S/X, California Forums

Obviously none of us was there except for you, but IMHO you're overthinking this incident, and it's just bad driving on the other guy's/gal's part. In any case I am glad that neither you nor your car were harmed by someone else's bad driving and/or stupidity.

Bruce.

• Like x 1