Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Freeway chicken with AP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving on 580 last night in the middle lane on TACC doing around 65. A very new BMW cuts in front of me from the right, very close. People have cut me off before and I've cut people off before. Usually it's people zipping from lane to lane doing 5 to 10 mph faster. But this was like 2 or 3mph faster and really close from the side.

So my theory was that he getting his yayas playing chicken with AP cars. It happened kinda quickly and I didn't respond by jerking right or slowing down or whatever AP would have thought appropriate since I wasn't on AP.

I also think this will become a thing.

I definitely wasn't going too slow. I was on TACC with 7 car lengths tracking the car in front of me. The BMW was in the left lane going faster than my lane was. He cut next to me and then passed and then cut into my lane comfortably ahead. He then changed into the right lane.

Honestly, I'm on TACC doing traffic speed. Maybe he made a mistake or maybe he was playing with an AP car. But I've never had anyone do that maneuver before.

He was passing me on the left. He s]swerved fairly close to me when we were about even and recovered. He then passed me on the left and merged into my lane normally. He then changed to the right lane. It was the swerving that unnerved me. Everything else was normal. Speeds were about 65.

Occasionally people change lanes with someone in their blindspot. The blindspot driver gets annoyed but can usually handle the situation. It happens. But this guy was passing me and he had to have seen me. That particular situation has never happened to me.

human_stupidity.jpg

So my theory was that he getting his yayas playing chicken with AP cars. It happened kinda quickly and I didn't respond by jerking right or slowing down or whatever AP would have thought appropriate since I wasn't on AP.

I also think this will become a thing.

Obviously none of us was there except for you, but IMHO you're overthinking this incident, and it's just bad driving on the other guy's/gal's part. In any case I am glad that neither you nor your car were harmed by someone else's bad driving and/or stupidity.

Bruce.

Reactions: EVChris