TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Freeway signs and others

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by Gynob001, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Gynob001

Gynob001 Member

1. Just like Freeway signs for eating places, Hotels, gas etc along freeway exits, it might be great idea to include a sign for electric charging stations.
    2. It would be nice if Rest Areas have charging stations. Government should take initiative to incorporate this.
    3. Recently I charged my Model S with 110V current, it took for ever!
    4. Home builders need to be aware of electric cars and garage outlets. My builder did provide a 240V outlet but didn't have any idea of where the charging door is located on the cars. The cords provided by the car manufacturers often are not long enough to reach the outlets. Besides, the cord stretched along the garage becomes a hazard.
    5. Even when there are charging stations, hardly one or two outlets are provided. Considering several cars are "serviced" in gas pumps, if a charger is occupied, there is no way of telling when the "pump" would be available for the next person.

2. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

EVSE highway signs is one of those incredibly obvious ideas that you never thought about! Having EVSE signs at exits will do a lot to change people's perceptions about EVs. Regularly seeing that charge stations are available will help mitigate the range issue. Tesla should put up SC signs like that (maybe they already have?). I bet that's incredibly effective advertising.

3. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Someone would have to agree on signage Icons for the type of charging/adapters that are available at that stop.

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

We already have some of these in WA state.

5. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

#5 ChadS, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
    A few years ago the Puget Sound Regional Council put out a bid to ready local governments for EVs - the first of its kind. Plug In America won the contract, and put together a model ordinance report that included model ordinances for cities to incorporate that would cover permitting, installation, signage and such related to EVSEs. We worked with state and federal officials and got them both to agree on specific signage. The guidebook is available to any municipality, and indeed it has been adopted across the nation. WA and OR both have signs pointing to EVSE from their freeways.

Why was WA first in the nation - by far - to do this sort of work? In 2008 and 2009 representative Deb Eddy from Kirkland sponsored and passed a bill that not only mandated that all state and municipal entities be EV-ready by 2013, it also included money for the PSRC project to make it easy for them to do so. This was the brainchild of Jeff Finn, who was done volunteer work for the Seattle EV Association for years (he just recently became a Plug In America board member, as well).

We worked with the state departments of Transportation and Commerce on their charging projects as well. They initially wanted L2 EVSE at rest areas; we convinced them that L2 was more useful in cities. We did try to get DC charging at rest areas, but the gas & convenience store lobby blocked that idea, saying that the state should neither give away nor sell fuel as that would compete with private enterprise. (We managed to sidestep that at the Northernmost and Southernmost rest areas on I-5 by using Adopt-A-Charger to pay for the electricity. That said, we don't expect the L2 to be used much for travel; they are more educational installations for all the gas cars that stop there).

6. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

How funny that since I only drive in WA and OR mostly with the Model S, I assumed this was all over the country. Pretty cool and can't wait to thank those responsible in a few weeks in person at Plug-in America day!

7. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Signage for Superchargers isn't really needed -- every car capable of using the Superchargers has the navigation system to find them. But as a general matter, yes, it would be great to have charging locations marked clearly on highways, just as gas stations are on most of the main interstates.

8. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

It would help just advertising EVs. The more signs people see the more they might be open to buying an EV if they think they can travel with it.

9. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

I love the highway signs with the airliner silhouette pointing to a cornfield landing strip with a shack and a fuel tank.
    --

10. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

So do I, because I love those dinky airfields and like to stop and see what's going on. Nothing, as often as not, but I still like 'em. :biggrin:

Back on topic, highway signs pointing the way to EV charging stations would be a good thing all around.

11. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Symbols:
    - Tesla Motors badge+<symbol>: Tesla Superchargers plus <symbol> representing the local amenity (e.g. a fruitcake)
    - Red plug on white background: ChaDeMo.
    - Frankenstein's monster's head: SAE DC fast charger.

12. Steven Loyens

Steven Loyens Member

Did some graphic work on designing a road sign for loading spaces.

Laadbord EV klein2.jpg

Green is the same as used in a lot of parking spaces here in Europe to indicate it is a "reserved" space for EV's.
    The loading symbol around the P is for indicating it's a charging spot for EV's (cars, bike's, scooters, trucks, ...)
    like the same symbol that is used for handicapped reserved parking spaces.
    The 1, 2 and DC symbol's at the bottom are to indicate the different type's of loading connections available.

13. Mark Petersen

Mark Petersen Model S EU P71

We'll the arrow and the round bars do not really signal EV charging
    I like this a little better just wish they only show the plug, and remove the station part
    EVsign2.jpg