Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Freezer chest that fits in the trunk hidden compartment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been doing an exhaustive search on which cooler has a perfect fit on the M3 trunk's hidden compartment. So far the best contender is a freezer bag called "AO Canvas" which still falls short for being 8.5" in height when the compartment is at least 10" tall. Once I'm done I'll share the spreadsheet with everyone.

Though during my search I came across all the electronic coolers, and found a couple that not only keeps cool but have a compressor which can actually keep freezing temperatures. In particular, one actually fits in the hidden compartment. Though the downside is that the chest can only hold 15 liters, it still fall under the category of fitting in the trunk's hidden compartment that I can always have it with me.

It just so happens that there is a lightning deal on the chest for 20% off, so I figured I'd post here before I finished my research.

(note that the deal expires at 3PM, July 17)
Alpicool CL15 Portable Freezer

I'll post a review after playing around with it.

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
I am planning to keep the freezer in the compartment for transport only. Once it is turned on, it makes more sense for the chest to be in the back seat (make the AC work harder but the freezer work less) or to have it in the trunk. I would worry about heat dissipation if I leave it in the hidden compartment while turned on. Though I will definitely do a bit of monitoring to see if that is possible. Maybe add a usb fan or something.

I am planning to keep the freezer in the compartment for transport only. Once it is turned on, it makes more sense for the chest to be in the back seat (make the AC work harder but the freezer work less) or to have it in the trunk. I would worry about heat dissipation if I leave it in the hidden compartment while turned on. Though I will definitely do a bit of monitoring to see if that is possible. Maybe add a usb fan or something.

I was thinking the same thing. The heat exchange can't be good if you're cramming it in a tight spot like that. It'd probably make it work extra hard and kill the longevity.

The rear compartment “well” is not an option. As stated, air circulation and heat dissipation is critical. Why not look at something that has a length as wide as up-against the back seat back and 1-1.5ft width that fits nicely AND has the volume to hold your items(?)

Somebody should convert the Model 3 trunk well into what my wife's Honda Ridgeline has as an under-bed storage compartment:

2017-honda-Ridgeline-in-bed-trunk.jpg

There is a drain hole at the bottom which allows the water to escape. We haven't done this with the wife's truck yet but I like the idea.