Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Freezing Rain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our power was out until the 24th at 10am. Thankfully my father in law had a 3.7kW generator I could borrow. We've had a couple outages since then so I've been researching different options for backup power. I hate the idea of buying a generator that just sits around 99.9% of the time. I've been looking into micro CHP (combined heat and power) setups. I found a 5kW fuel cell (clearedge 5) but unfortunately it costs approx $75,000. LOL There's a fuel cell company in Australia that makes a unit called the bluegen, its supposedly 60% efficient at generating electricity and puts out 1.5kW. I have no idea how much it costs, I filled out their contact page but didn't hear back from them. I'm currently investigating a natural gas ICE CHP generator from Yanmar.

Mike, any idea if the utilities would let you feed back power into the grid from a CHP generator via a net metering setup or otherwise?

Mike, any idea if the utilities would let you feed back power into the grid from a CHP generator via a net metering setup or otherwise?

The FIT and microFIT programs are geared towards renewable sources of power (wind, solar, hydro, biomass etc.) so not likely there. In terms of net metering, I do know there are some environmental restrictions around running backup generators for anything other than emergency use, and I would have to wonder if running such a generator would be any cheaper than the current electricity rates. I suspect the fuel costs and inefficiencies might make the cost of running a generator actually more per kWh.

It appears the Yanmar CP5WN can generate electricity at a cost of 7.5c/kWh (and give you 34,100 BTU/hour of heat as well) based on current natural gas rates. If you have a use for all that heat outside the winter months (swimming pool, hot tub etc.) it seems like it could be very worthwhile. I'll include a link to their website in case you are curious. YANMAR | Models

I found a power point presentation on union gas website. It appears that the "Spark Spread" in Ontario is one of the highest anywhere in North America. (Spark Spread = Cost of Electricity from the grid + Cost of Fuel for Heat – Cost of Fuel used for CHP)
http://www.uniongas.com/~/media/business/communicationcentre/training/Union_CHP_Webinar_101513_Final.pdf

The FIT and microFIT programs are geared towards renewable sources of power (wind, solar, hydro, biomass etc.) so not likely there. In terms of net metering, I do know there are some environmental restrictions around running backup generators for anything other than emergency use, and I would have to wonder if running such a generator would be any cheaper than the current electricity rates. I suspect the fuel costs and inefficiencies might make the cost of running a generator actually more per kWh.

That's interesting stuff... thanks for the links.

The Union Gas article mentions the OPA's PSUI initiative but I can tell you they've been very hesitant to approve anything to do with natural gas fuel substitution. I think with the two gas plant relocation fiascoes, they are trying to distance themselves from anything to do with gas generation :smile:

I wonder how the economics work for residential applications? In addition to fuel costs, you do have the capital infrastructure costs to consider as well.

Our power was out until the 24th at 10am. Thankfully my father in law had a 3.7kW generator I could borrow. We've had a couple outages since then so I've been researching different options for backup power. I hate the idea of buying a generator that just sits around 99.9% of the time.

You've got 85kWh sitting in your battery pack. How about installing a dynamo in the garage, driving the Model S onto it, and setting cruise control for a few days? :smile:

You've got 85kWh sitting in your battery pack. How about installing a dynamo in the garage, driving the Model S onto it, and setting cruise control for a few days? :smile:

The thought already crossed my mind :)

I heard back from a yanmar dealer, they sent me a case study pdf of a house in western Canada that has one. It says the capital cost was $37,000. A lot more expensive than I was hoping it would cost...