Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Freezing temps + snow packed wheel well = stopped Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This might be a crazy idea, but along these same lines...what about spraying something like Pam cooking spray or some sort of a teflon spray inside the wheel well before you head into the snow?

I second the quick light spritz of Pam but DONT get a bunch of it on either the tire tread OR the brakes. Around here, they measure the amount of salt they apply to the roads in Tons Per Lane-Mile !! So our "fenderbergs" seldom get really solid, you can usually just kick them off. They're gross, and make a nasty mess on the garage floor.

I was driving home today and the Check Tire Pressure warning came on. Thought it was strange because today is the first day in 6 it's finally climbed above 0F. But it turned out that my left rear wheel well was snow packed and a chunk had partially broke off but some had become lodged. He tire was shaving it down but it was increasing the pressure on the tire and set off the check tire pressure alarm. Anyone notice getting the check tire pressure warning preceeding noting the wheel wells filling up?

This phenomenon does not seem appreciably worse to me with a Tesla than with other vehicles I have driven. Except maybe the truck, because the wells were just so much bigger it would usually break off periodically I suppose. It too bad this will apparently be a deal breaker for everyone that Neroden would otherwise recommend to get a Tesla.

Absolutely not in a position to speak with authority on this subject since we live in a nearly snow-free city, but IIRC the average ICE vehicle is dumping about 70 or 80% of the energy in each liter, gallon or tank of fuel off as wasted heat in the radiator(s), exhaust system, oil, etc.--only a small fraction of the chemical energy goes to move the car. Much of that waste heat can inadvertently minimize the amount of frozen snow and ice the builds up in the wheel wells, both front and rear, depending upon conditions.

Thus, since Teslas produce so little wasted heat, this issue may be more prevalent with BEVs.

I was driving home today and the Check Tire Pressure warning came on. Thought it was strange because today is the first day in 6 it's finally climbed above 0F. But it turned out that my left rear wheel well was snow packed and a chunk had partially broke off but some had become lodged. He tire was shaving it down but it was increasing the pressure on the tire and set off the check tire pressure alarm. Anyone notice getting the check tire pressure warning preceeding noting the wheel wells filling up?

This happened to me after this week's storm across the northeast. On the X, it had gone to 36 psi in the rear tires and 37 psi in the front tires (normal 42 across).

The evening before, I had experienced vibration > 40 mph and was planning to remove the ice/snow in the morning after getting to work (much cleaner parking lot), but went at in my condos parking lot. It was much worse than I had expected -- very little space for the tires to move -- should have taken a picture.

Used a mini-shovel like this carefully: Amazon.com: SOG Entrenching Tool F08-N - Folding Shovel, High Carbon Steel Handle, Nylon Carry Case, Powder Coat Finish: Home Improvement which made the job easy enough. Also very useful to have something like this generally in the car toolkit.

Agree with TSLA PIlot as to a probable cause since I have not experienced in other vehicles living (and driving) in the same area.