Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fremont 4680 indicators

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the same boat. EDD of April-May. Would sure like the Model 2.0 Can't imagine Tesla selling two Model Y's with differing specs for the same price. Obviously everyone wants the latest battery technology. Frustrating car buying experience to say the least. Feels like we are buying iPhones instead of cars. Tesla is the king of innovation and EV technology but their communication and customer service leave a lot to be desired.

We need a Fremont factory insider...

I'm in the same boat. EDD of April-May. Would sure like the Model 2.0 Can't imagine Tesla selling two Model Y's with differing specs for the same price. Obviously everyone wants the latest battery technology. Frustrating car buying experience to say the least. Feels like we are buying iPhones instead of cars. Tesla is the king of innovation and EV technology but their communication and customer service leave a lot to be desired.

We need a Fremont factory insider...
They will most likely have two separate designs for the MYLR and MYP. MYLR will have 4680 coming from Austin and the MYP will have 2170 coming from Fremont in lesser capacities

Reactions: NoGasNoBrakes
They will most likely have two separate designs for the MYLR and MYP. MYLR will have 4680 coming from Austin and the MYP will have 2170 coming from Fremont in lesser capacities
Then I guess that would require a whole new pricing structure for the model Y. I don't see many Fremont sales in that scenario...(unless of course you have the 4680 model that is outrageously expensive or if the 2170 model is attractively priced.)

Then I guess that would require a whole new pricing structure for the model Y. I don't see many Fremont sales in that scenario...(unless of course you have the 4680 model that is outrageously expensive or if the 2170 model is attractively priced.)
You missed I was saying entirely. Some Model Y buyers want the Model Y Performance regardless of the underlying tech included, others don't want to pay that premium and have no care for the increased performance and will buy the Model Y Long Range. So there's already a stratified pricing structure between the two... Hence the possibility of separate assembly lines split between Fremont and Austin. MYP buyers get what they want, and they may not care about the 2170 cell design or even know. MYLR get a slightly more efficient battery density at the same range, or more range with the same effective cell density and Tesla can push an even larger range between the MYLR and MYP.

The bottom line in what I'm saying is they can extend the current price difference beyond just cost and firmware designation. And they can do that without having different trim options of the Model Y Long Range.

It may even be the opposite of what I originally said. Perhaps they start with the Model Y Performance in smaller numbers to ramp up production in Austin and iron out the kinks, etc. Meanwhile, the currently-waiting MYLR buyers get the previous 2170 design from Fremont since those factory lines have reached production maturity with that assembly design.

I think it it’s the other way around. MYP from Austin with 4680...

But I also think there’s a chance the Fremont MYP has a structural pack with 2170s. At least I hope, I’m picking mines up this weekend lol.

Reactions: Halldawg and brinox
But I also think there’s a chance the Fremont MYP has a structural pack with 2170s
I'd wager that they built the structural pack frame to accommodate the previous 2170 pack design in some way(s). I have a May 2020 build and I'm pretty happy with it regardless. I'd say take your delivery and run with it as long as everything is "within spec".

If you really want the 4680 option down the road, I'm sure someone will happily buy your current Model Y for a pretty penny if this market continues as is o_O

4680 is going to Tesla semi and cybertruck.

Model y doesn’t require the pack to produce. So, until there is no supply constraints, all 4680s go to the semi and then cybertruck. Tesla wants to sell semi trucks. Those orders are worth a lot more than individual model y orders.

Model y will not see 4680 packs for many months, even after Austin ramps up production. The structural pack can be used with 2170 packs.

Model y doesn’t require the pack to produce. So, until there is no supply constraints, all 4680s go to the semi and then cybertruck. Tesla wants to sell semi trucks. Those orders are worth a lot more than individual model y orders.

Model y will not see 4680 packs for many months, even after Austin ramps up production. The structural pack can be used with 2170 packs.

if the structural pack was going to use 2170, they would need to redo the structural pack for 2170 and then redo it again for 4680. your statement is making the assumption that the structural pack is interchangeable. i don't think that is the case.

if the structural pack was going to use 2170, they would need to redo the structural pack for 2170 and then redo it again for 4680. your statement is making the assumption that the structural pack is interchangeable. i don't think that is the case.
Structural packs in Berlin use 2170 cells for model y. It’s already a thing.

Model y is not getting 4680 packs for a long time. For the reasons I already stated.

Tesla said:
CT in 2023
Austin will only make 4680 MY

Just got my VIN last night for MYP white/white. It’s from Fremont. Anyone believe there’s a slim chance it might have 4680? My delivery date is 3/4-8. I’m not inclined to pay extra $24K for perf without 4680 and refresh.
Freemont has to retool for the 4680 structural cells which is something from my knowledge that hasn't been done. I doubt it's a 4680.

Assuming no news is bad news - it'll be interesting to see how many TMC members opt to cancel MY orders when Tesla finally announces Fremont's plan to retool for the 4680. I guess it all depends on how long they take to pull off the bandaid. Tesla has had plenty of time to get ducks in a row prior to shut down.

Fremont hasn't shut down very many times for retooling. I think the longest shut down was about 6 months for the model S.

Last edited: