Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fremont, CA - 47400 Kato Rd (not completed, V3 test site Mar 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, on Reddit the OP says that the "Secret Base of Operations" is on Kato road, which is this location. Looks like Tesla is doing some Model 3 development in this building. Maybe it's where they keep the Model 3 release candidates.
Exactly we followed M3 pre-production cars there, have images but chk out my twitter @rrosenbl and today's Teslarati for many photos at/about this Fremont-2 location. Could Tesla think by not completing this site they'd better hide new vehicle development? I think Tesla's smarter than that, though if they don't double SC plugs in Fremont this summer I'll retract my statement

600 days? Wow. I don't follow that thread, but that is a loooong time.

Supercharge.info reports several new construction additions in just the past few days. Nothing new in California though, just the expansions you mentioned, though you left out Culver City. Redondo is also about to start their expansion. Don't get me wrong, I think expanding busy locations is a smart move.

yes, it is now about 600 days...although without the cone on supercharge.info it is difficult to be exact.

Here is what the supercharger network looked like back in October 2015 when construction started on the Kato site.
http://sahatyalkabov.com/images/blog/tesla-road-trip-day-5-21.png

Happy 600th day anniversary...since this thread was started and the first sightings of the 20 (as of yet unfinished) superchargers.

upload_2017-6-5_9-1-52.png

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Or maybe this location was never planned to be a public Supercharger. We just don't know.

No I disagree. Why would Tesla construct such a location with the stalls prominently viewed from the highway with 20 supercharger stalls if they weren't going to make it a public station? I suspected they planned it to move traffic away from the factory but didn't consider the early sightings and reporting's of the location. I suspect they wanted to prominently display a large TESLA sign on the building like they have at the factory so that drivers on the freeway could see the building and the car's charging from the highway and become interested in enquiring about the vehicle.

Reactions: bxr140
I agree. If it was planned to be for private use from the start, I would expect them to have them somewhere inside or behind the building, more hidden. Or at least they'd have it close to the delivery doors or whatever, so that the employees can easily move the cars in and out as required - kind of like the factory supercharger is, currently.

The factory supercharger stalls on the other hand are not at the best location for public use. They seem like more designed for delivery. Travelers going deep into the factory complex all the way to the where delivery takes place only adds to the chaos over there.

Reactions: EVie'sDad
Why would Tesla construct such a location with the stalls prominently viewed from the highway with 20 supercharger stalls if they weren't going to make it a public station? I suspected they planned it to move traffic away from the factory but didn't consider the early sightings and reporting's of the location.
Hmm...so Tesla designed the location to be "prominently viewed from the highway" and yet "didn't consider the early sightings".

That seems unlikely. ;)

I am not saying that this location will definitely not be a Supercharger for Tesla owners. I am only saying that at this point we don't know what it will be.

No I disagree. Why would Tesla construct such a location with the stalls prominently viewed from the highway with 20 supercharger stalls if they weren't going to make it a public station?

You answered your own question.

I suspect they wanted to prominently display a large TESLA sign on the building like they have at the factory so that drivers on the freeway could see the building and the car's charging from the highway and become interested in enquiring about the vehicle.

Hmmm, I haven't seen this site yet but based upon what has been said and postulated is it possible this location could be a Model 3 delivery site? Freeway close with visibility, lots of superchargers that may not be public, sounds like a great place to get your new car while they are being charged at an onsite supercharger.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
My theory on this site is that they put in the conduit and SC frames when they were paving the parking lot. After all it makes sense to do it before the asphalt is poured. Tesla then either changed their mind for the building or are still getting to it.

Either way they did the "make ready" for the SC's so they don't need to cut up the parking lot when they do install them.

If you saw this parking lot before they re-paved it you can see why they did it. A lot of those buildings along Kato Rd where under occupied for years. It is great as a long term Fremont resident to see them all full again!

that is a lot of charger. Must be nice to be living in the bay area with all those chargers
The Superchargers at that location are not operational, not open to the Tesla owners at this time, and we do not know if they ever will be.

All the Bay Area Superchargers are very busy because there are so many Teslas here. That is why Tesla is expanding existing locations and plans to add new locations this year.