Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fremont, CA - 47400 Kato Rd (not completed, V3 test site Mar 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any restaurants, restrooms, shopping nearby this supercharger? Looks like it is just next to some empty office buildings., poor choice of location probably.

It looks to me like in urban SpC locations, people rarely leave their car--they sit in it talking on the phone, with their passenger, reading, etc. In "en route" superchargers, they rarely stay in their car but get out to relieve themselves and get a bite. I speculate that urban users are rarely doing a big charge to 90 or 100% the way en route users do, but charging from near empty to roughly where the taper begins at around 50-60%...enough, perhaps, to get them to their home charger.

That said, I think Tesla needs to make sure there's a rest room and a place to get a cup of coffee or drink of water within a reasonable walk of every supercharger. (400 meters (1/4th mile) is the "reasonable walk" standard that urban planners use). Also a land-line telephone in case something is wrong.

--Snortybartfast

Reactions: EVie'sDad
47400 Kato Road pad in middle of new super charger.png

Currently they have an electric pad pre-concrete.

The incomplete pedestals fit with the theory that they want the latest available technology when they install, for when this is close to opening date of the property. I have no insight or info on property schedules.

The extra security required to make the visitor center and superchargers open at the factory 24/7 has to be an expense they likely would not want to continue. I'll bet that they close the factory superchargers other than operating hours when this new facility opens.

Highly doubt it. They have HPWC for that. They did that in Hawthorne. Added more Superchargers and some HPWC for those that stay longer. I don't think one SC cabinet can serve more than 2 pedestals.

Normal Supercharger cabinets serve 2, but each cabinet has 12 individual chargers so with different cabling they could offer slow DC that will charge fast when possible.

That's what I
Normal Supercharger cabinets serve 2, but each cabinet has 12 individual chargers so with different cabling they could offer slow DC that will charge fast when possible.
think would make the most sense, but it might be difficult to realize. Have all cabinets be able to serve all stalls. This way power can be distributed best.

I've never seen a SpC cabinet that has more than 2 controllers. Even though there are 12 charger modules, there are only 2 car interface boards.

I think the idea is that with a little bit of hardware (cross strapping and perhaps some switches) and a little bit of software, it's conceivable all charger modules could serve all stalls (or at least most serving most).

I think the idea is that with a little bit of hardware (cross strapping and perhaps some switches) and a little bit of software, it's conceivable all charger modules could serve all stalls (or at least most serving most).
Building a 12x12 matrix switch that can handle 500VDC and 400A is not trivial. I doubt that the the cost/benefit is favorable. Signaling an approaching car for which stall to use (and possibly auto-parking in the optimum stall) would be much more cost effective.

i stopped in at the Tesla factory on a long trip North to stretch my legs and see the X in person. While I was waiting in the showroom area one of the Tesla guys offered to show me Summon on an S. That led to a quick joy ride while we waited for one the X's to return for a test drive. Our little ride took us down Kato Rd just South of the factory but not as far as SOLAR CITY. Along the way I saw what appeared to be 25+ supercharger stations being set up in front of a non-description building that I could not readily identify. As we passed by I said "whoa, what's going on there? That looks like a ton of Supercharger stalls!" My Tesla co-pilot just responded "oh, we're always full of surprises...." And changed the subject to coils vs Air suspension. We continued South another half mile and I did a u turn and returned back the same way and tried to get a better look. I couldn't tell if it was Superchargers or just HPWC stalls being set up since no hardware was in place. Once back at the factory I drove around the parking area a bit and came across another area that had about 15 HPWC's set up with almost every stall occupied with a car and a delivery date on the dash. It was kinda' a holding stable for the cars ready to be moved into the delivery area but also getting a full charge (this was not the Superchargers out front of the delivery center).

So, what did I see? Is it a new delivery center being set up to relieve some of the pressure on the factory delivery center, the new CPO lot "buy and fly" I heard about previously, a mega supercharger station for all the Tesla's in this area, a new stand alone service center, a Model 3 delivery area for the "common man/woman" or just what?

It's been known about for some time, 20 SPC down the street from the factory.
Supercharger - Fremont #2

Still in the works though. Track new SPC locations on this thread with links to threads discussing them as they come online.
Supercharger Progress
Thanks for the link. It looks the same as the pic you shared from almost a year ago. So, no progress it appears. The plot thickens...

Reactions: EVie'sDad
So, what did I see? Is it a new delivery center being set up to relieve some of the pressure on the factory delivery center, the new CPO lot "buy and fly" I heard about previously, a mega supercharger station for all the Tesla's in this area, a new stand alone service center, a Model 3 delivery area for the "common man/woman" or just what?
We don't know for sure. I suspect that new "mega" Supercharger will be for the public and the current Superchargers at the factory will be closed to public access, but I could be wrong.

I requested the mods merge this thread with the existing thread at Supercharger - Fremont #2