Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fremont Closing Affecting Loan Payment?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi friends,

I am scheduled for delivery March 24 and closing on terms with my credit union this afternoon. The reason we are closing almost a week before delivery is because my Credit Union sends actual checks via FedEx -- they don't wire anything. Tesla gave us/our CU the Fremont address as to where to send the check. I'm worried my Service Center won't allow delivery if Fremont hasn't cleared the check if nobody is in Fremont to receive the check (due to factory closing). Does anyone know if Service Centers allow delivery if you show up with a copy of the check and the FedEx tracking number, or something similar to that arrangement? It would suck if I wasn't able to pick up delivery in Maryland because the check sat unopened in Fremont, CA.

Thanks for the help.

Can the credit union give you the check to bring to delivery? I brought mine directly to the center when I took delivery (in Virginia)

That isn't listed as an option on our Purchase Agreement - MVPA. The only options listed are through the website, wire transfer, and Mail-In Check. Our CU also mentioned that she doesn't believe Tesla allows that anymore, in an attempt to get the checks out of the Service Centers. How long ago did you just bring the check with you to VA SC?

Fremont manufacturing is down but iirc business operations will be allowed to keep working or can work remotely so that part should still be churning, albeit possibly slower than normal.

But yes I assume your delivery would be delayed if they cant process paperwork

That isn't listed as an option on our Purchase Agreement - MVPA. The only options listed are through the website, wire transfer, and Mail-In Check. Our CU also mentioned that she doesn't believe Tesla allows that anymore, in an attempt to get the checks out of the Service Centers. How long ago did you just bring the check with you to VA SC?

I took delivery in November of 2019. My MVPA had the same wording but it was no issue.

We brought a check last weekend from the credit union for my X, bringing a check tomorrow for the wifey's Y so they are still doing it, at least in Atlanta delivery centers.

(We didn't expect the Y until mid to late summer, didn't purposefully buy two at the same time)

I am scheduled for delivery March 24 and closing on terms with my credit union this afternoon. The reason we are closing almost a week before delivery is because my Credit Union sends actual checks via FedEx -- they don't wire anything.

1. That's peculiar - most CU's can wire funds without any complications.
2. What are you going to do if you close now, and delivery is postponed, for any reason? Or you reject the car upon delivery? Are you comfortable inuring interest on a car you don't actually have?

Tesla gave us/our CU the Fremont address as to where to send the check. I'm worried my Service Center won't allow delivery if Fremont hasn't cleared the check if nobody is in Fremont to receive the check (due to factory closing).

That would be my assumption as well.
If they check hasn't cleared, the SC should not give you a car for which you, technically, haven't paid.

I would consider bringing the certified check with you to the SC instead.
Or finding another CU that knows how to wire funds properly.

Good luck either way!

I can 100% guarantee that Tesla will have someone there to accept incoming checks :)

Believe they have changed delivery process due to Corona Virus. Someone will process your paperwork, and direct you to your car. Nobody will be inside the car with you to point out all the features. You will drive away from picking up your car with minimum interaction with employees.

Believe Tesla will provide video instructions to show you how to plug in and operate your car. Will keep staffing to an absolute minimum.

Even stores are not supplying employees to ride along during test drives. Potential customer will be sent out alone to experience the EV goodness. Then return your car to the demo location. Easy to do with current navigation system.

Some have taken to using gloved hands to plug into Superchargers when on road trips as well.

This is the new reality. I believe this will allow Tesla to continue to deliver cars, even when traditional legacy dealerships will be forced to close.

For many owners, the ability to charge at home will become one of the compelling reasons to drive an EV.