Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fremont delivery experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Background:
Ordered Model 3 with Performance upgrade package white/black (ext/int) w/ no FSD on 2/4
Received initial welcome text on 2/5
Received delivery timing update text of 3-6 weeks for delivery on 2/24
Received in transit and ready to be scheduled for delivery text on 3/2
Received final delivery confirmation text on 3/5
Picked up on 3/6

Delivery day:
I got to the Fremont delivery center about 15 minutes before my appointment. I saw a car matching my specifications sitting outside and after looking at the VIN I confirmed it was mine. Before walking in to check in I did a pretty thorough walk through of the exterior of the car. All the panel gaps were just fine but I noticed a significant paint blemish on the right rear door (as if the paint drying was not done well in one spot or as the full coat of paint missed a spot). The next issue was the underside of the front fascia was scraped up and chipped (as if someone had loaded on a transporter carelessly or encountered a steep driveway carelessly). Finally there was a big grease stain on the passenger side visor.

After looking over exterior of the car I went inside to check in for my appointment. They had me sign some DMV related papers and I emailed my loan document and we were ready to walk outside to the car. When we were outside with the advisor I pointed out the 3 issues. The advisor’s first reaction was “it’s cosmetic, so it’s not really part of the warranty”. I didn’t overreact but did point out to the advisor that I literally hadn’t even turned on the car or driven it so it would be unreasonable to take it without at least a promise for Tesla to take care of these issues. Although in retrospect it would have been foolish, I offered to take a due bill with the issues and scheduling an appointment at a later date with the service center. The advisor went inside to check what could be done about the issues and then came back to tell me they would rather take care of the issues then and there since the service center tends to be booked far out. Apparently they had the front fascia in stock so they could swap it out and the paint issue could be buffed out while the stain on the visor could be taken care of by their detail team. They quoted me 2 hours and although it would mean horrendous traffic getting home I chose to wait.

After 1 hour they told me it was done since they had several techs working on it to finish it quickly and get me on my way. Now the car was perfect. The front fascia was new and unscratched and the stain and paint flaw were taken care of. I was very happy with the service from the Fremont team since I’ve read the horror stories here but I realize the horror stories are always the outliers and most people have an uneventful delivery experience.

Background:
Ordered Model 3 with Performance upgrade package white/black (ext/int) w/ no FSD on 2/4
Received initial welcome text on 2/5
Received delivery timing update text of 3-6 weeks for delivery on 2/24
Received in transit and ready to be scheduled for delivery text on 3/2
Received final delivery confirmation text on 3/5
Picked up on 3/6

Delivery day:
I got to the Fremont delivery center about 15 minutes before my appointment. I saw a car matching my specifications sitting outside and after looking at the VIN I confirmed it was mine. Before walking in to check in I did a pretty thorough walk through of the exterior of the car. All the panel gaps were just fine but I noticed a significant paint blemish on the right rear door (as if the paint drying was not done well in one spot or as the full coat of paint missed a spot). The next issue was the underside of the front fascia was scraped up and chipped (as if someone had loaded on a transporter carelessly or encountered a steep driveway carelessly). Finally there was a big grease stain on the passenger side visor.

After looking over exterior of the car I went inside to check in for my appointment. They had me sign some DMV related papers and I emailed my loan document and we were ready to walk outside to the car. When we were outside with the advisor I pointed out the 3 issues. The advisor’s first reaction was “it’s cosmetic, so it’s not really part of the warranty”. I didn’t overreact but did point out to the advisor that I literally hadn’t even turned on the car or driven it so it would be unreasonable to take it without at least a promise for Tesla to take care of these issues. Although in retrospect it would have been foolish, I offered to take a due bill with the issues and scheduling an appointment at a later date with the service center. The advisor went inside to check what could be done about the issues and then came back to tell me they would rather take care of the issues then and there since the service center tends to be booked far out. Apparently they had the front fascia in stock so they could swap it out and the paint issue could be buffed out while the stain on the visor could be taken care of by their detail team. They quoted me 2 hours and although it would mean horrendous traffic getting home I chose to wait.

After 1 hour they told me it was done since they had several techs working on it to finish it quickly and get me on my way. Now the car was perfect. The front fascia was new and unscratched and the stain and paint flaw were taken care of. I was very happy with the service from the Fremont team since I’ve read the horror stories here but I realize the horror stories are always the outliers and most people have an uneventful delivery experience.
It is absurd for them to say it isn't covered because it is cosmetic.

Good to hear about the positive story. Half way through reading it, I began to think of negative outcomes that you may have to go through (or any of us who run into that same situation), but it was good to hear they took care of everything on the spot rather than wasting your time later on to come back and drop it off at the service center.

I do like how you brought up the fact "did point out to the adviser that I literally hadn’t even turned on the car or driven it so it would be unreasonable to take it without at least a promise for Tesla to take care of these issues. Although in retrospect it would have been foolish" and they immediately took care of it for you on the spot.

Reactions: 1100MCM
I’m glad things all worked out for you. But I’m confused about one thing. Given that you noticed all of those issues prior to your check in, why did you sign any DMV paperwork prior to addressing your concerns?
I got carried away with the excitement of taking my new car home. I didn’t think those issues would’ve warranted me not taking delivery of the car. I think in the excitement of the moment I made the assumptions those would be minor items to deal with at a later time. Like I posted “Although in retrospect it would have been foolish, I offered to take a due bill with the issues and scheduling an appointment at a later date with the service center.”

Looking back, I’m glad I’m glad we (Tesla and I) mutually agreed that it was best to get the issues taken then and there.