Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fremont factory tour help needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone!

I'm Gabriele Sabbatino, 43 years old tech enthusiastic man writing from Italy. I 'm actually desperately searching for a good person that could help me in organizing a tour to the factory at the end of August 2016.

Brief history on this request: I'm based in Italy and I have recently bough a PowerWall for my house, unfortunately I do not yet own a Tesla as I'm waiting for the Model 3. I already wrote to the company but I got an official reply that only owners of a Model S, X or Roadster are allowed to visit the factory together with friends and that they must be present to allow the entire group to perform the visit. As you can imagine, passing by the area is not easy to organize for someone that lives some thousands miles away in another continent, and when I realized I was having a rare opportunity to flight to SF for a business trip, I immediately started dreaming about visiting the factory! My dream become a nightmare as soon as I got the official reply from the Factory tours organizers, honestly I was hoping that being at least a client, even if "only" for a PowerWall (in Italy it cost something like 6500$ once installed!), could be considered enough to allow me in, then I discovered that even if Tesla Motors is a great innovative company, there are always areas for the bureaucracy to reign, and I guess I discovered one, what a letdown...

Now I'm writing this post in search for a good person, he/she must be an owner, that would like to bring me together to visit the factory even if he/she don't know me yet. Honestly I'm pleading one good heart to help a dream become real!
I can only offer my eternal gratitude and a dinner in the SF area! :)

I will be in California between August 22nd and 26th 2016, if it will be possible I would like to organize the tour on Monday or Friday as I will travel around the state for the rest of the week.

Thanks for all good hearts that would like to help me!
Ciao
Gabriele

Hello everyone!

I'm Gabriele Sabbatino, 43 years old tech enthusiastic man writing from Italy. I 'm actually desperately searching for a good person that could help me in organizing a tour to the factory at the end of August 2016.

Thanks for all good hearts that would like to help me!
Ciao
Gabriele

As there have been nearly 90 views but no replies yet I guess that this should be probably not the right section of the forum where to look for this kind of help.

Is there anyone that could, at least, help me with the right directions?

Thank you so much again for your understanding.
Gabriele Sabbatino

It might be too early for a response. I think your best bet would be people who would be taking delivery in that timeframe, and the cars for those people are nowhere near being in production, so they have no idea that they would wind up taking delivery then. Some people taking delivery sooner may opt to defer their factory tours, and those people might be your best bet, but I imagine they're still pretty small in number.

I'd be happy to help otherwise, but aside from expecting to take delivery by early August, I will be in Australia when you're in town.

Maybe try posting in the orders and deliveries forums? People who have just ordered are more likely to post in there.

It might be too early for a response. I think your best bet would be people who would be taking delivery in that timeframe, and the cars for those people are nowhere near being in production, so they have no idea that they would wind up taking delivery then. Some people taking delivery sooner may opt to defer their factory tours, and those people might be your best bet, but I imagine they're still pretty small in number.

I'd be happy to help otherwise, but aside from expecting to take delivery by early August, I will be in Australia when you're in town.

Maybe try posting in the orders and deliveries forums? People who have just ordered are more likely to post in there.

Thank you for the answer.
Is this meaning that usually tours are taken while the car is being delivered to the owner? As you said it might be too early but the tour should be booked a bit in advance and every day is passing the less the opportunity to visit the factory ...
I will try posting the request on the other area you suggested! :) crossing fingers
Thanks again for your kind reply.
Ciao
Gabriele

Thank you for the answer.
Is this meaning that usually tours are taken while the car is being delivered to the owner? As you said it might be too early but the tour should be booked a bit in advance and every day is passing the less the opportunity to visit the factory ...

I know that you can arrange a tour for the same day you take delivery. I imagine most new owners do this, although they do tell you that tours during a weekday are better because the factory is actually in operation. I suspect that you'll have better luck talking to the people who wind up scheduling delivery dates while you are in town. Keep an eye on the delivery thread and the spreadsheet and maybe shoot PMs to people who look like they're going to take delivery when you're around.

I know that you can arrange a tour for the same day you take delivery. I imagine most new owners do this, although they do tell you that tours during a weekday are better because the factory is actually in operation. I suspect that you'll have better luck talking to the people who wind up scheduling delivery dates while you are in town. Keep an eye on the delivery thread and the spreadsheet and maybe shoot PMs to people who look like they're going to take delivery when you're around.

Thank you again for the help! It was really appreciated!

Cheers
Gabriele

Can an existing owner simply request another tour? - I have been on the tour when taking delivery etc., but I will happily organize a tour on those dates if possible and host Gabriele. Its always interesting to see the changes over time.

Anybody know who would be best to contact to get a tour organized?

Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Can an existing owner simply request another tour? - I have been on the tour when taking delivery etc., but I will happily organize a tour on those dates if possible and host Gabriele. Its always interesting to see the changes over time.

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your kind message, it will be best to contact [email protected] to organise the tour.

They said only owner could request a tour but didn't say anything about taking another tour after the first one.

Thank you so much for the help
Gabriele

There's no limit to the number of tours an owner can request (I have this in writing from one of the people actually giving the tours, who happens to also be my old Owner Advisor). I actually have my second tour scheduled for Friday the 26th of August but I've already hit my max group size (4) for the tour. All you have to do is contact [email protected] and provide them with the date you'd like the tour, whether you want morning or afternoon, number of people attending (max of 4), and your VIN (just the serial # part of the VIN is fine).

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I put in the request, lets see what they reply

Gabriele, how many people in your group? Where will you be staying in the Bay Area?

HI Richard! Thank you so much for the help! There will be only myself, as I'll be around for a business trip.

I do not know yet where to stay, probably near Fremont at least for the first few days of the week.

Thx
Gabriele

OK, I'll let you know when I get a reply, date etc. and I will send you my contact details via Private Message at that time also.

Depending on where your business is, there might be more interesting places to stay than Fremont!

We can discuss once I have a confirmation

Thank you so much Richard!!!! It would be really a dream become true!

Crossing fingers!
Thank you thank you so much!
Gabriele

So.... After all that build up, how was the tour ??

Everything went very good! Richard organised me an amazing Silicon Valley tour, all the places were Tesla started, the HQ, and finally the factory., in the middle we sightsee most of the top IT players in the world: Oracle, Facebook, Intel, Apple, Google, and so on!
At the factory we had to sign a NDA so we can talk on forum too much on what we saw. The tour was basically the one that each new owner could organise when you buy a new car and get delivery directly at the factor, it runs for an hour on a small electric train. It starts basically at the giant press, where it is impressive how from a single sheet of aluminum after several steps that piece of metal it is turned in car body parts. Everything is well managed, clean and unexpectedly not too noisy... then you'll go through the battery assembly line and the car body build dept. in the meantime you can see the it dept in the middle of the factory... I was in the impression that it was the dept behind the management of all the beautiful robots that are everywhere or perhaps the software dept... the last part of the tour will bring you at the line were hundreds of people are working to assembly the interior of the cars... the last part of the car you see it is a 95% assembled car...
unfortunately that hour run so fast and it is packed of some many wonders that you can't imagine... I wish we could have spent more time there, as it is so fascinating to see how that car is built! If you love this company and have the occasion you shall go there to see it.
By the way the factory is a growing machine itself, as Richard told me that in his past experiences there, it has been reshaped and equipments have been moved from their originally location, probably to better organise the Model X assembly and the new line that will come next year.
I really thank Richard for being so kind in making my dream come true!

Hi! I have the same issue and need same kind of help. Visiting Bay Area for the business conference all the way from Slovakia (central Europe).

I'm arriving next week on Tuesday and would do anything to do a Tesla factory tour. You think it would be possible if you contacted Tesla again and schedule the tour on Feb 15th?

I was so damn excited to see the Tesla factory but after I booked my flights, I got a reply from Tesla saying that this is only available for model s/x owners. Pretty much ruined my day.

Please reply asap :)