Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fremont Lot -- why aren't they using FSD to line-up cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been watching flyover videos of the Fremont lot for quite awhile. It has struck me as odd that people are still driving cars out of the factory and into the staging lot to board the semi's. They don't seem to be using FSD for this. Ditto Austin. Seems like an obvious thing to do, but Tesla doesn't seem to be doing it for some reason...

You can see people , actual people, in the staging lot starting around 3:00 in this July 25 video:

and Austin starting around 9:58 in this July 28 video:

I see people in yellow vests, and a white pickup van for the yellow vest people, but in these flyovers I don't actually see a yellow vest person driving a car (the videos aren't long enough to monitor the lot). So I'm inferring...

Any thoughts on why Tesla doesn't seem to be using the FSD that is in every single car to stage the cars in the lot (i.e. drive from the factory to the lot). They could enable FSD for 10 minutes to accomplish the short drive from the factory exit to the staging lot and line them up for their respective semi's.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

...why...
Collisions.

People were so excited to use smart summons until their cars got into collisions at a very slow speed.

If FSD is good at collision avoidance, this is a very good case: Machines work best when the environments are static, the scenarios are static.

The parking lot is static, and the numbers on the asphalt and the order of the parking spaces are static...

It's possible to write a program routine to allow the car to drive independently from the assembly line to the parking lot.

Jumping on the same "FSD isn't good enough"

But also... this is the last chance having a set of eyes on the car before it leaves the factory. It's much easier to catch a weird noise or dragging feeling or something before it's loaded on a truck and shipped many states away. Human labor is also cheap. It probably would be THAT hard to have a computer program written to a line up and load type of procedure, but until the cost of humans doing it is something they look at and track, no one is going to want to spend the time and effort on getting FSD to do it.

Collisions.

People were so excited to use smart summons until their cars got into collisions at a very slow speed.

If FSD is good at collision avoidance, this is a very good case: Machines work best when the environments are static, the scenarios are static.

The parking lot is static, and the numbers on the asphalt and the order of the parking spaces are static...

It's possible to write a program routine to allow the car to drive independently from the assembly line to the parking lot.

I agree with your assertions. However, it is sad if Tesla can't do it (as opposed to decided not to do it). Perhaps they could just try it once? In the very least it would be a great demo/proof-of-concept for the FSD team.

It would have been super cool at the recent Texas investor meeting: Elon standing in front of the big screen with an overhead areal drone showing hundreds of Teslas pouring out and lining up in the staging lot for the Semis. Then the drone flies down, pans, and zooms-in to show that the Teslas are all empty. Audience applauds. The stock goes up by 50%. 🥳

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

Reactions: cenwesi