Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fremont Model Y casting machine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I’m trying to be patiently waiting my Model Y order over the next 4 weeks here, if I get to be in the first batch of new Model Y’s made thru this new one piece casting machine Elon’s been talking about...will make the wait more bearable.
However I know likely order may still miss the startup...still can hope. Be curious to know when they start production out of the new casting machine.

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-14_12-19-3.jpeg
    upload_2020-8-14_12-19-3.jpeg
    629.1 KB · Views: 152
Reactions: ftmaybe
Sounds cool, but if the car gets rear ended I'd think it would be a total loss every time. Be interesting to see what the insurance industry thinks about it
Got my VIN (account page update) after midnight 37XXX so I’m wondering the same thing. Headed to go see if it’s at the SC lot now. Source code was useless. No text like most of you got last week or call from rep. I wonder if you can see it in the fender liners of the rear tires?

Does someone have specific information on the consumer benefit to the single piece casting over connecting left and right side castings?

My impression, mostly from the Munro videos showing the existing parts, is that it's primarily a manufacturing improvement.

Reactions: decrypt
Im supposed to pickup our Y today it has a build date of May 31 0083** thinking of passing on this one. Seems to be a very early build would also like those new tail lights. What do you guys think?
you have nothing to lose by going and checking it out. If they took the time to remedy whatever the problem was, you may get a better car than waiting. If it's not perfect, you can always reject delivery

Does someone have specific information on the consumer benefit to the single piece casting over connecting left and right side castings?

My impression, mostly from the Munro videos showing the existing parts, is that it's primarily a manufacturing improvement.
It also reduces costs in both production of the part itself vs multiple piece and in reducing manufacturing costs plus lowering warranty costs, reducing weight as well as other benefits that might be disclosed sometime soon.

They might have kept a pretty good stockpile of the 2-piece casting on hand in case there were problems getting the new one-piece casting machine up and running/calibrated. It would be great to know the date or VIN when they actually started incorporating the one-piece casting in MY's.

Reactions: technoz