Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fremont or Wait

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received a vin this morning for my MYLR WH/WH. 11/16/21 order date. Its a Fremont build! I am concerned about quality vs Austin build. Inspection sheet in hand, awaiting the call to take delivery after inspection. Thinking out loud, that if it does not have the matrix lights and/or new door trim I will pass and wait for an Austin build (no matrix lights). If the Fremont build has the lights and door trim and is in great condition then I will accept delivery. Sad that it will be a 2022 model this late in the year. I am just crazy?
What say you?

You do you....personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about all that as long as it's a good quality car. The moment you take delivery of any Tesla, it will soon be old news with the next inline iteration they do...it's constantly evolving, and to worry about not having the latest and greatest will drive you nuts if you let it. Technology moves fast and is in a constant state of change.....

Reactions: KJD
Every recent report of a MYLR out of Fremont has Matrix and new trim. I think it will have those two things for sure.

As per build quality I've read just as many reports of fitment issues with Austin builds on here as I have for Fremont. I'm not seeing a trend of better build out of Austin at this point in time.

2022 v 2023 is sort of annoying...I'm probably going to catch the very tail end of 2022 build with an October delivery which I may consider rejecting but I'm not sure if I will bother or now.

Reactions: JDEWD250
O
I received a vin this morning for my MYLR WH/WH. 11/16/21 order date. Its a Fremont build! I am concerned about quality vs Austin build. Inspection sheet in hand, awaiting the call to take delivery after inspection. Thinking out loud, that if it does not have the matrix lights and/or new door trim I will pass and wait for an Austin build (no matrix lights). If the Fremont build has the lights and door trim and is in great condition then I will accept delivery. Sad that it will be a 2022 model this late in the year. I am just crazy?
What say you?
I picked up my no upgrades (white/black, no FSD)MY on 9/7. New door trim and matrix lights.
Overall build quality is a 95/100. Slight misaligned left rear door, and a lumbar switch that didn’t always work. Mobile service replaces the lumbar switch and I’m waiting on the door.
I’d say go for it. After a long wait it was such a relief to finally get our car.

Last edited:
What say you?
Maybe slightly crazy 🤣. I’m Not sure Austin mylr has better build quality than Fremont. I’ve seen some reports of Austin build issues too 🤷‍♂️. I think only time mylr gets matrix lights is if there is a parts shortage. Cars built around mid 11/2022 will be 2023 model year on paper. But they will be early 2023 builds and we know Tesla keeps adding things. I’d want a car with a June 2023 delivery date. My 2022 was an early build. So no faster AMD center console for me & 12v lituim ion. I like my interior doors trim better than the new trim. No parcel shelf for me but I can add it myself and pay a lil extra. So yeah, I’d want a mid to late year build.

Reactions: JDEWD250
What say you?
Yes you are crazy. Buy the car and enjoy the ride.

I have two Tesla in the garage right now. Both on them are great trouble free cars.

Reactions: howardnj
Today was delivery day! MY build date 8/22. I rejected the MY. The build quality left much to be desired. Rear hatch would not close, took three tries every time. Passenger rear door was misalighned, passenger front seat had a tear or split seam and a nasty rusty orange stain on the bulster and frunk had alot of moisture in it.

It did have matrix lights, updated door trim. No cargo cover or extended rear seat carpet (by the lower rear seat post area).
Now the wait begins. The SA said maybe late November-January.
I waited this long whats a couple more months.
What say you?

Today was delivery day! MY build date 8/22. I rejected the MY. The build quality left much to be desired. Rear hatch would not close, took three tries every time. Passenger rear door was misalighned, passenger front seat had a tear or split seam and a nasty rusty orange stain on the bulster and frunk had alot of moisture in it.

It did have matrix lights, updated door trim. No cargo cover or extended rear seat carpet (by the lower rear seat post area).
What say you?
did you hold the order, or unmatched the car from the order, or went on site and rejected the vehicle?

What say you?
Same question as above poster. How did you reject vehicle and what did you have to say?

Sorry for the late reply. I have been traveling for work the past few weeks. I simply rejected the MY due to seat and hatch issues. I then asked to have the car put on hold until 11/14 the SA said no problem. Then a week or so ago I recieved the automated "...... order will be canceld.....". I then called and texted the SA and they provided another 7 day hold. I released the order this past Monday and have an EDD of 11/7-11/21. Hoping for a 2023!
The SA canceled the first MY at the Tesla store. This included registration etc. I did not hand them the payment.

I received a Vin this morning. PF590. White/white, no FSD or tow package. 2023 from Fremont. I had to review the "no USS", thus the waiver required reading. OD 11/16/21, EDD 11/16-11/25.
Assuming it will have the improved cameras, cargo cover, door trim, etc. Most likely no Matrix head lights or rear seat extention.

Reactions: Slapshot