Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fremont will be shut down!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
Let’s hope if cars are being manufacture red and built during these times will not suffer from quality issues. As a member waiting for my Y VIN assignment, I hope the Tesla employees are staying safe and Tesla continues to manufacturer quality vehicles during these troubled times and continue too afterwards. Last thing as owners we want is for Tesla to rush and/or churn out non quality vehicles.

What makes you think Tesla will obey the shelter-in-place order?
He could certainly challenge the order in court but good luck with that in the state of California. Hopefully his legal counsel is making that clear to him.

On top of that can you imagine all the negative PR (profits over people) that would result.

But most of all it's time for Elon to fully understand why our governments are making the unprecedented moves they are. Let's not make the same mistakes that were made in Italy. Was talking to one of my friends that lives there this morning and was explaining the hospitals are so overwhelmed that someone who had a heart attack last night died because he was unable to get healthcare. Doctors are being forced to make gut wrenching decisions about who lives and who dies. Some people here being more worried about getting their car assembled is really disgusting. Time to wake up.

Last edited:
Reactions: mgraff
While I want Tesla to do the right thing and take every precaution as possible, i.e. giving extra paid time off to anyone who thinks their sick, etc..., I also think if other companies can remain open I don't see why Tesla shouldn't either. They have a business to run as well but they need to take extra precautions and put employees first.

Reactions: Electric Steve
While I want Tesla to do the right thing and take every precaution as possible, i.e. giving extra paid time off to anyone who thinks their sick, etc..., I also think if other companies can remain open I don't see why Tesla shouldn't either. They have a business to run as well but they need to take extra precautions and put employees first.

Seems like they were already taking extra precautions...same as what they were doing in China.

How can you possibly compare the need to keep a car assembly plant with thousands of workers open versus a supermarket or hospital at this time? What could possibly be the need to keep it open? Besides the fact that the video shows they were not taking the needed precautions. Get the feeling some still do not get the life threatening implications of the situation.

Honda just announced they are closing all their North American plants.

Probably worked out well that they still haven't REALLY stopped underselling the Model Y, a couple of reviews and a few people got them in their hands, but the REAL rollout will have to come in mid-April now. This will give them time to think things out while the shutdown occurs so when they come back they can go full-bore.

But the virus was getting out of control, and people were not believing it was an issue, still barhopping instead of isolating. So telling everyone to stay home was really the only choice. If that numbskull teen just wonders around the world thinking himself invulnerable, he is going to be leaving C-19 on every surface he touches and that crap survives DAYS on a surface. If they can get people to stay home we'll be back to tracking the vectors that are causing the spread. They'll be able to track it and protect us. Assuming that there is FDA approved testing available after the lockdown ends.

Hopefully Elon will realize Cali is not a state to be manufacturing cars in after this.

Does anyone else make cars in California?

It probably seemed like a genius move at the time.

I have no problem waiting for my MY. I don't want anyone putting themselves in harms way to make a car for me.

They are not doing it for you. Many businesses simply cannot continue to exist for a protracted shutdown. I don't think Tesla is in that position, but it depends on how long the shutdown lasts.

But the virus was getting out of control, and people were not believing it was an issue, still barhopping instead of isolating. So telling everyone to stay home was really the only choice.

Depends upon what you consider “out of control”. What we label as normal flu kills 12,000 to 65,000 Americans per year while, to-date, CV has killed 85 Americans this year. The data clearly shows flu is more “out of control”. In addition, the CDC currently believes CV to have only a slightly higher mortality rate than the flu but admits it may have a much lower mortality rate since we don’t know how many unreported cases exist. We won’t have a good handle on this until the CV test kits are readily available.

All of this info is available here: Coronavirus Disease 2019 vs. the Flu.

I believe we are in this state of panic because this disease is new and poorly understood. And let’s not overlook the media’s part in all this. We’re getting breathless updates, alerts, and notices every hour. If this happened every time someone died from the flu they’d have no time to report on anything else.

Last edited:
Depends upon what you consider “out of control”. What we label as normal flu kills 12,000 to 65,000 Americans per year while, to-date, while CV has killed 85 Americans this year. The data clearly shows flu is more “out of control”. In addition, the CDC currently believes CV to have only a slightly higher mortality rate than the flu but admits it may have a much lower mortality rate since we don’t know how many unreported cases exist. We won’t have a good handle on this until the CV test kits are readily available.

All of this info is available here: Coronavirus Disease 2019 vs. the Flu.

I believe we are in this state of panic because this disease is new and poorly understood. And let’s not overlook the media’s part in all this. We’re getting breathless updates, alerts, and notices every hour. If this happened every time someone died from the flu they’d have no time to report on anything else.

The shelter in-place and restaurant closures are premature, in my opinion. We are now left with no measures to take if/when the disease really starts to take hold, and a prolonged shutdown would be an "unmitigated disaster". It could even result in riots which would be the antithesis of the shutdown. It already has started riots, but on a small scale.

The state governments, not at the direction of the CDC, but for their own political gains, did this.