Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fremont will be shut down!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
picard-facepalm.jpg
:cool:

• Funny
Reactions: rxlawdude
There has to be a balance between protecting people's lives and protecting the economy. The vast majority of those deaths are going to be people with pre-existing conditions and people with short life expediencies, so the tragedy (you can consider every passing a tragedy, in a different sense) is not so much that they live 1-2 less years than they normally would have, but overwhelming the healthcare system.

Also, however counter intuitive it may sound, we don't have very much information about how these shutdowns affect the spread of the disease. Limiting travel from infected zones (China, Europe) is obvious, but we simply do not know how many lives, if any, will be saved by the more extreme measures.
While it does seem likely that the majority of deaths will be those who are elderly or have pre-existing health conditions — I am worried about my nonagenarian parents and my aunt who turns 99 tomorrow, people you consider disposable — the notion that the young and healthy have nothing to worry about isn't true. There are a surprising (to me) number of younger people developing severe cases of the disease. Some examples:

Two Women Fell Sick From the Coronavirus. One Survived.

The young medical professionals, who worked long hours on the front lines in Wuhan, first came down with fevers. Within weeks, both were in hospital beds, hooked up to IVs or oxygen machines.
Both women were 29 years old. One survived after weeks in intensive care. The other died.

Her Facebook Friends Asked if Anyone Was Actually Sick. She Had an Answer.

Heaven Frilot is normally a private person. But this is not a normal time. So she and her husband are now the face of the coronavirus for their conservative Louisiana community.
Then Mark Frilot — 45 years old, “never, ever sick” — came home with a fever.
He ended up in the ICU, sedated, intubated and no longer breathing on his own. His wife's message to others: "It can happen to anyone."

I suppose some can dismiss these as outlier cases and blithely go on their way assuming that at least they won't get the disease, or that they will have a mild case. However, what happens once all the ICU beds are filled and the doctors and nurses start falling ill?

We are living in "interesting times."

That speaks volumes about you.

Depends on where you come from. I've been a health care worker most of my life, after having five other "careers". Working in ICU, I saw time and again where the patient (old and dying) just wanted to go to sleep, while a herd of relatives stood around the bed saying thing like "Don't give up!" or "Hang in there!" What I saw was the fear of youth that this could happen to them, and they were denying death by keeping Gramma alive another day (at several thousand dollars a day, which affects everyone's insurance).

I'd be interested in where YOU come from that you could decide that all people over eighty want to live a "long life", when most of them will tell you that they have done exactly that, and now only wish to go to sleep.

I'd love to have my Tesla. I've been hotly anticipating it since I ordered it. I've read the manual twice. I've planned out the upgrades and modifications. I've reminisced about how amazing my test drive experience was. I want my Tesla; I'm more than ready for it.

If not for the pandemic, I'd likely have it in a few weeks. If I don't get it for a few months, that would suck, but so be it. This isn't worth dying for. Making cars is not an essential service. It can wait and waiting will save lives.

Keep in mind that I haven't left my house in over a week. My current car is just sitting in the driveway. Would it really matter if I had a Tesla sitting there, instead?

I get it: we all want our new toy. But we're adults, right? We can delay gratification instead throwing a tantrum.

Working in ICU, I saw time and again where the patient (old and dying) just wanted to go to sleep, while a herd of relatives stood around the bed saying thing like "Don't give up!" or "Hang in there!"

And how, exactly, does this have anything to do with people (including the elderly) wanting to keep their healthy elderly friends and family healthy (including themselves)?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: rxlawdude
And how, exactly, does this have anything to do with people (including the elderly) wanting to keep their healthy elderly friends and family healthy (including themselves)?
Sometimes I think people here, under their anonymity, post outlandish things as an attention getting tool.

This guy clearly believes that he can determine the will to live of anyone over a certain age. This is, especially since he claims to be "working in healthcare," more than disturbing.

Reactions: israndy
I'd love to have my Tesla. I've been hotly anticipating it since I ordered it. I've read the manual twice. I've planned out the upgrades and modifications. I've reminisced about how amazing my test drive experience was. I want my Tesla; I'm more than ready for it.

If not for the pandemic, I'd likely have it in a few weeks. If I don't get it for a few months, that would suck, but so be it. This isn't worth dying for. Making cars is not an essential service. It can wait and waiting will save lives.

Keep in mind that I haven't left my house in over a week. My current car is just sitting in the driveway. Would it really matter if I had a Tesla sitting there, instead?

I get it: we all want our new toy. But we're adults, right? We can delay gratification instead throwing a tantrum.

bxr140, ok, I'll bite. What part of what I wrote do you disagree with and why?

At the risk of repeating myself, the fact that it has zero context in and relevance to the conversation.

I'm confused. Electric Steve's message had more relevance to this thread than the elderly end-of-life debate.

Not sure about others, but when the posts open with a reference to one's degrees and decades of experience, I know it's time to move on to another thread.

Last edited:
Just was chatting online with a Tesla support rep who said they are still planning to continue production with no plans to entirely shut down production of new Model Ys. Seems to be different than what I have heard elsewhere.

That is somewhat in line with what they have publicly stated. Reducing staff to 2,000 is not quite "the essentials" but they avoid a PR disaster and conflict w/ governments.

Good news is that Tesla is limited by battery production, so they will be able to make up for their losses somewhat if GF1 continues to produce batteries, they can simply produce more cars in the future.

Reactions: Electric Steve
Govt is rapidly ramping up to supplement legacy hospitals with Mercy/Comfort hospital ships, cruise ships, empty hotels, private surgical day care facilities, MASH mobile medical units, and other options.
Country is now under more of a Military style management, where red tape is being cut that usually delays quick action. Lives are at stake and quick action is beneficial.
Most of the American auto manufacturers have volunteered to produce all the ventilators and respirators necessary if given the go ahead. They have the facilities and talent to transform for the war effort, just as they did in WWII to switch from making consumer goods to tanks, planes and army vehicles.

They will cross train medical personnel to operate the machines and rise to the occasion.

This is one of the reasons that people need to stay home and avoid contamination. If people do the smart thing, the rise in hospitalizations will be slowed. Will give the medical community the time necessary to ramp up services.

If you are currently healthy, and not part of the medical solution, keep away from others that may be carrying the virus.
No auto manufacturer has volunteered to make ventilators, Elon made a statement but that's it. All of the legacy manufacturers are confused, you don't take welding robots and machines to stamp out huge sheets to steel and turn them around to make tiny, precision medical devices. What companies like GM are doing is sending their supply chain personnel to medical manufacturers and showing them how to scale up production and leaning on their supply chains to leverage suppliers. You don't go from making cars to making ventilators over night or even in a matter of weeks. All the WWII examples took months and years to switch over production and reach the peak numbers people like to quote.

Imagine that Tesla is using the current down time at their factory to focus more on ramping up their own battery production. Many engineers have been "all hands on deck" getting the Model Y ready for production. Now that has been accomplished, some of that talent can be diverted back to in house battery production.