TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

French road trip - type 3 cable necessary?

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by Rajanm1, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Rajanm1

Rajanm1 Member

Has anyone whose done a roadtrip to the south of France had any issues with trying to find type 2 chargers to charge en route?
    Don't fancy having to buy one of the type 3 cables if I can avoid it Type 3 recharging cables - evChargeking

• Like x 1
  2. Generator

Generator Member

I was wondering the same thing. Would be good to know the answer to this one...

• Like x 1
  3. rotor2k

rotor2k Member

I would love to know why these cables are so expensive!

• Funny x 1
  4. Vipercat

Vipercat Member

@Rajanm1, I’ve traveled to France, and even Spain, several times over the last 12 months and was able to get around by only using the Superchargers that are available throughout this country. In addition to that I also have a subscription from NewMotion that provides numerous Type 2 charge stations. My last resort were regular power outlets (1 phase, 230V) at supermarkets and at my destinations. Conclusion: no need for Type 3 cables. Never seen a Type 3 outlet, Not even at the supermarkets.....

Enjoy your trip!

• Like x 3
  5. drewpost

drewpost Member

I was having a look around Pleubian, where we're going next summer, and it seems that most of the public charging units there have both type-3 AND type 2 plugs. (as to why they even both having type 3, I don't know). I've been using the Chargemap App.

6. arg

arg Supporting Member

Politics. Type2 was designed by a German company (Mennekes) while the Type3 was designed by a French-led consortium (Legrand/Schneider/Scame), therefore naturally the French public sector put their weight behind Type 3.

Even when the victory of Type2 had become clear, they continued to back Type3 including a totally bogus safety argument - Type3 has shuttered socket contacts, but this is completely pointless as the contacts are not live until the chargepoint has positively identified that the cable is connected to the car. Mennekes had to design an optional shutter add-on to the Type2 (which I have never seen in use anywhere).

• Informative x 1