Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

French road trip - type 3 cable necessary?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Rajanm1, I’ve traveled to France, and even Spain, several times over the last 12 months and was able to get around by only using the Superchargers that are available throughout this country. In addition to that I also have a subscription from NewMotion that provides numerous Type 2 charge stations. My last resort were regular power outlets (1 phase, 230V) at supermarkets and at my destinations. Conclusion: no need for Type 3 cables. Never seen a Type 3 outlet, Not even at the supermarkets.....

Enjoy your trip!

(as to why they even both having type 3, I don't know

Politics. Type2 was designed by a German company (Mennekes) while the Type3 was designed by a French-led consortium (Legrand/Schneider/Scame), therefore naturally the French public sector put their weight behind Type 3.

Even when the victory of Type2 had become clear, they continued to back Type3 including a totally bogus safety argument - Type3 has shuttered socket contacts, but this is completely pointless as the contacts are not live until the chargepoint has positively identified that the cable is connected to the car. Mennekes had to design an optional shutter add-on to the Type2 (which I have never seen in use anywhere).

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.