TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

French Road Trip

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by mj88, Jul 12, 2019.

1. mj88

mj88 Member

End of August we're off on a road trip to Ile de Re near La Rochelle. I haven't had our Model S over in France during the summer, and wondered if anyone had any experience of how busy the Superchargers get? Specifically I'll be routing thru Mont Saint-Michel, Nantes, Poitiers and Le Mans. I've sorted destination charging as there is destination charger a 3 minute walk from our Airbnb, but just wondering if I should plan in some time for waiting for a stall. Many thanks.

2. Rob R

Rob R Member

What do you do about your headlights on the Continent? I am getting a Model 3, and intend going to Spain, but I'm not sure what is required for getting the headlights to point down and right, instead of left. Is it just the old stick-ons?

3. pgkevet

pgkevet Member

I asked that question when i bought my S and was told there was no need to do anything due to the flatness of the light....but then i haven't been abroad (yet) with it so not looked any further

4. GreenT

GreenT Member

mj88, you'll need by law a gilet jaune in your car. Not the demonstrator, the actual yellow jacket.

The worst part of the journey will be staying at an Airbnb. Good luck.

• Like x 1
  5. mj88

mj88 Member

Yeah I've driven thousands of miles in UK vehicles in France over the years and never had any issues with lights, but I HAVE seen how busy the french autoroute network can get when it appears everyone in Europe all use its network to move around, hence my original question about Superchargers... the Dutch especially love to drive for their holidays... and they have ALOT of Tesla's :)

6. Rluner

Rluner Member

We traveled to France in our Model S in 2017, there was no issues with charging. However, as numbers of Teslas have risen drastically since then the situation could be different.

We are heading to the south of France the last week of August too, so any update on here maybe to late for you.

As for the lights, in 2017 I rang Tesla support while waiting to board the ferry, I was informed I didn’t need to do anything to my lights as the car would sort them out itself, after it realises we have left the U.K. so I never did anything and never got pulled.

• Like x 1
  7. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

Model-S headlights are adjustable and I have always changed them to "point down" when on continent in case of any drift towards the left. I don't drive much at night on back roads, so managed OK with the somewhat "feeble light effect" that that produced

Might not be necessary (based on above comments) but if available on Model-3 too? then is an option if you get flashed etc.

8. henleyregatta

henleyregatta Member

Did a trip St Malo - Quiberon - Caen last summer hitting a few Superchargers including a couple of those mentioned above and I have to say it was a joy. Didn't see many French Teslas but there were plenty of other British ones as well as the Dutch and Belgians. Never enough to cause queuing though and was impressed with the placement - all of the ones we hit were 8-stallers at the edge of hotel car parks, very convenient for conveniences and a bite to eat!

As other have mentioned, Model S/X lights don't require any blanks or adjustments abroad per the official advice. I did nothing and had no trouble although we weren't out after dark that often anyway. I'd hope Model 3 is the same...

• Like x 1
  9. Roy W.

Roy W. Member

I was talking to the Stockport service manager today about M3 lights on the continent. He confirmed that they are a “flat beam” design, so don’t need adjusting. He did advise however that I might want to apply some black tape or deflectors anyway, because the French Plod have a habit of pulling over UK cars without anything obvious on the headlights. He also said if my French was good enough to explain, there was no need. I wish!:)

• Like x 1
  10. pgkevet

pgkevet Member

@Roy W.
    Please note that the traditional way of dealing with authorities in foreign countries that haven't bothered learning english is to speak louder.

• Funny x 3
  11. Roy W.

Roy W. Member

“PARDON?” in best ‘Allo ‘Allo Fringlish accent ;)

(Only readers of a certain age will understand...)

• Like x 1
  12. davidmc

davidmc Member

Alway be polite to the officers by using the greeting "good moaning"

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1