Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

French Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
End of August we're off on a road trip to Ile de Re near La Rochelle. I haven't had our Model S over in France during the summer, and wondered if anyone had any experience of how busy the Superchargers get? Specifically I'll be routing thru Mont Saint-Michel, Nantes, Poitiers and Le Mans. I've sorted destination charging as there is destination charger a 3 minute walk from our Airbnb, but just wondering if I should plan in some time for waiting for a stall. Many thanks.

End of August we're off on a road trip to Ile de Re near La Rochelle. I haven't had our Model S over in France during the summer, and wondered if anyone had any experience of how busy the Superchargers get? Specifically I'll be routing thru Mont Saint-Michel, Nantes, Poitiers and Le Mans. I've sorted destination charging as there is destination charger a 3 minute walk from our Airbnb, but just wondering if I should plan in some time for waiting for a stall. Many thanks.
What do you do about your headlights on the Continent? I am getting a Model 3, and intend going to Spain, but I'm not sure what is required for getting the headlights to point down and right, instead of left. Is it just the old stick-ons?

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
What do you do about your headlights on the Continent? I am getting a Model 3, and intend going to Spain, but I'm not sure what is required for getting the headlights to point down and right, instead of left. Is it just the old stick-ons?
I asked that question when i bought my S and was told there was no need to do anything due to the flatness of the light....but then i haven't been abroad (yet) with it so not looked any further

I asked that question when i bought my S and was told there was no need to do anything due to the flatness of the light....but then i haven't been abroad (yet) with it so not looked any further

Yeah I've driven thousands of miles in UK vehicles in France over the years and never had any issues with lights, but I HAVE seen how busy the french autoroute network can get when it appears everyone in Europe all use its network to move around, hence my original question about Superchargers... the Dutch especially love to drive for their holidays... and they have ALOT of Tesla's :)

We traveled to France in our Model S in 2017, there was no issues with charging. However, as numbers of Teslas have risen drastically since then the situation could be different.

We are heading to the south of France the last week of August too, so any update on here maybe to late for you.

As for the lights, in 2017 I rang Tesla support while waiting to board the ferry, I was informed I didn’t need to do anything to my lights as the car would sort them out itself, after it realises we have left the U.K. so I never did anything and never got pulled.

Reactions: mj88
Model-S headlights are adjustable and I have always changed them to "point down" when on continent in case of any drift towards the left. I don't drive much at night on back roads, so managed OK with the somewhat "feeble light effect" that that produced

Might not be necessary (based on above comments) but if available on Model-3 too? then is an option if you get flashed etc.

Did a trip St Malo - Quiberon - Caen last summer hitting a few Superchargers including a couple of those mentioned above and I have to say it was a joy. Didn't see many French Teslas but there were plenty of other British ones as well as the Dutch and Belgians. Never enough to cause queuing though and was impressed with the placement - all of the ones we hit were 8-stallers at the edge of hotel car parks, very convenient for conveniences and a bite to eat!

As other have mentioned, Model S/X lights don't require any blanks or adjustments abroad per the official advice. I did nothing and had no trouble although we weren't out after dark that often anyway. I'd hope Model 3 is the same...

Reactions: mj88
As other have mentioned, Model S/X lights don't require any blanks or adjustments abroad per the official advice. I did nothing and had no trouble although we weren't out after dark that often anyway. I'd hope Model 3 is the same...
I was talking to the Stockport service manager today about M3 lights on the continent. He confirmed that they are a “flat beam” design, so don’t need adjusting. He did advise however that I might want to apply some black tape or deflectors anyway, because the French Plod have a habit of pulling over UK cars without anything obvious on the headlights. He also said if my French was good enough to explain, there was no need. I wish!:)

Reactions: henleyregatta
So to answer my own question re. french supercharger traffic, half way in to our trip down near La Rochelle, and its been super easy, never queued, most cars I saw on any one charger was me being the 4th vehicle at the 8 stall in Nantes. Super easy! Just watch the destination chargers, as its peak season down here, getting some push back on using these...

So to answer my own question re. french supercharger traffic, half way in to our trip down near La Rochelle, and its been super easy, never queued, most cars I saw on any one charger was me being the 4th vehicle at the 8 stall in Nantes. Super easy! Just watch the destination chargers, as its peak season down here, getting some push back on using these...

Sounds good. We are regular drivers in France, either Normandy where Mrs interbears family reside, or down to the south west Basque Country for holidays, we love that area. Prior to ordering the Model 3 I checked out a few of our typical French routes, we have a tag for the motorway tolls so tend to stick to them. It all looked fine in terms of supercharger network. If it didn’t I would have held off ordering the Tesla. Also spotted several Teslas en route this summer, mostly Dutch, but there was a nice black UK Model X at the campsite we stayed at (Sylvamar in Labenne) which I also saw now has a EV charger on site, which is handy.

Biggest challenge for us will likely be rural Normandy so I need to find the right cables to charge at home there, I’m sure the in-laws won’t mind me plugging in :D

Reactions: Roy W.
we stayed in the cannes monaco area also up in the north nancy metz area all good no problems a lot of model3 arround and it will become a queing problem next year i think with more and more pouring in.

Blimey Yes you're right. Time to stop the shipments.
(I've got mine.)

Elon - You can stop shipping them now!

Last edited:
we stayed in the cannes monaco area also up in the north nancy metz area all good no problems a lot of model3 arround and it will become a queing problem next year i think with more and more pouring in.
Its the destination chargers that I worry about. The owners of the properties are perfectly within their rights to deny access to public, but the messaging about them "alludes" to accessibility. There are 5 within a 10 mile radius of my location here, the first has been physically removed for the high season, the second I had to negotiate access to. I would recommend anyone planning a roadtrip in europe, to plan on using Superchargers as your primary source, and either book into a Destination Charger property, or presume you cannot access them. Which having typed that, is totally logical, the only reason I needed access was due to an accident on the autoroute caused a significant detour, and left me a little light on Watts for next leg of trip.

Last edited:
Its the destination chargers that I worry about. The owners of the properties are perfectly within their rights to deny access to public, but the messaging about them "alludes" to accessibility. There are 5 within a 10 mile radius of my location here, the first has been physically removed for the high season, the second I had to negotiate access to. I would recommend anyone planning a roadtrip in europe, to plan on using Superchargers as your primary source, and either book into a Destination Charger property, or presume you cannot access them. Which having typed that, is totally logical, the only reason I needed access was due to an accident on the autoroute caused a significant detour, and left me a little light on Watts for next leg of trip.

My assumption anyway was that destination chargers were only for guests / users of the destination property, be that a hotel, restaurant, whatever. Isn’t that the point of these properties installing a destination charger, to provide a charging facility for their customers and/or to attract new customers who need this? Not sure what rules, if any, Tesla apply to destination chargers in terms of accessibility.

Overall though, I think that your suggestion to plan on using superchargers only unless you intend to use the facilities at a destination charger location, is definitely the right policy.

Next year I'm off to southern France in my M3, but going the scenic route, staying in various small hotels. I hope to use Supercharges mainly, but would like a backup plan. I can get a Izivia Access pass for €15, and no monthly subscription. Their network of charges seems large and varied. Does anybody have experience of Izivia or any other charging networks in France?

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.