Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frequency of PW2 in backup mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All.

Recently we had a power outage and the Powerwall took the load on backup. However the UPS’s in the house continued to complain re power quality even once the PW was delivering power to the house. This was new as previous outages left the UPS’s happy once he PW had taken the load.

On closer investigation the frequency from the grid is 50Hz. But when the PW takes the load on backup the frequency goes up to 55Hz. Which is outside the UPS spec.

I have read about the frequency shifting to control the solar however it would appear the 55Hz is out of the normal spec. I have heard the PW lifts the frequency to 53Hz max to throttle back / drop out the Solar.

Any observations or advice on how I can get some technical input? I have emailed the installer but wanted to get a forum perspective.

Thanks

Some context. I have a PW2 with Gateway 2 installed. I also have solar via a SolarEdge Inverter with Panels. Powerwall version is 1.47.0. Installation is in Johannesburg, South Africa. Grid frequency is 50Hz. 230 volts.

This is pretty well known now here on these boards for powerwall users, with the exception that most of the conversation is around US frequencies. Same symptoms, same issue, just different frequencies.

Powerwall 2 + UPS Connundrum - and solution

On a side note, the energy section here on TMC is very friendly. I would suggest that if you have other powerwall related questions, you would likely get better response there.

Tesla Energy

Solved - yes, a call to Tesla via my installer would appear to have solved the issue. My observation was that it took a little persistence and insistence. The SE Inverter and Powerwall Settings need to talk to each other most closely. Certainly 55Hz is too high. Not sure what Joe Public does if they need to troubleshoot this on their own. A power quality meter / multi meter certainly helped.