Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frequency of reboot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 Tesla MS 75D. I upgraded to the MCU2 about a year ago. It works much faster than the MCU1, particularly with navigation, and overall the performance is less glitchy. But, I still find that I have to reboot my MCU2, perhaps once every 2 weeks, for various reasons: 1) The center screen may lock up; 2) I may not be able to perform some touch functions; 3) The screen may turn black after using Netflix while parked; 4) I may lose volume (radio and blinkers), etc. I put up with it because I like my Tesla's performance and its positive impact on the environment, not to mention I don't have to purchase gas. Rebooting is part of owning a Tesla, and it varies in frequency for various reasons, including internet connectivity, upgrades frequency, etc. But, I'd like to get a sense of what Tesla owners feel is their norm in regards to the frequency that they reboot their Tesla's MCU. My feeling is that once a month is reasonable, but I get a bit annoyed when it is every 2 weeks.

I have a similar vintage vehicle w/ MCU2 and rarely reboot my MCU. I can think of maybe half a dozen times where I've manually rebooted. There's usually a software update at least once a month though, so it gets rebooted when I install those.

But yes...it's complicated software that is unfortunately not bug free (but no software is).