Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frequent 50KW DC charging and the Model3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Little concerns about fast charging overheating a Tesla Battery. They have large heat exchangers and powerful fans that will control the tenps of the water coolded battery pack. If the pack gets too hot, the computer will simply turn down the rate of charge.

"A plugged in Tesla is a Happy Tesla"

• Funny
Reactions: freekie
Actually, reading a bit deeper, it may only be fast charge rates which are harmful at low temperatures

at 20% capacity loss ... 2,500 equivalent full cycles (EFCs) at 1 C charge to only 200 EFCs at 4 C charge.

Seems this capacity loss relates to the charge current overwhelming the rate of 'desired' charging interactions, so I'm sticking with my assumption that cool gentle charging remains the best.

Reactions: Roy W.
All the Charge Place Scotland chargers are free to use, apart from in Dumfries & Galloway. Most small towns have a 50kW charger.

You can use the app with these, but I suggest you get the Charge Your Car RFID card, costing £20 a year, as mobile coverage can be very patchy.
Dundee City has been charging since 1 November 2019. For non-residents, it is a reasonable 15p/kWh, plus 38p connection fee, not sure if its a different price for residents but they do get free parking in multi-storey car parks (which will all have whole floors of AC charging, Greenmarket is open, Olympia under construction). Advise checking website or email or call [email protected] , 01382 432779 or 01382 432713.

The rapid hubs (Lochee, Princes Street and Queen Street, Broughty Ferry) are free to park while charging, suggest AC charging at Queen Street, you get 3 hours free, rapids are just 30 mins.

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
Talking about cold pack temps, noticed by selecting a Tesla Supercharger in NAV (within 30mins drive) the pack will commence preconditioning (message on dash) and then charge at Non Tesla 50KW location, haven't tested whether the pack makes less noise once preconditioned.

Talking about cold pack temps, noticed by selecting a Tesla Supercharger in NAV (within 30mins drive) the pack will commence preconditioning (message on dash) and then charge at Non Tesla 50KW location, haven't tested whether the pack makes less noise once preconditioned.

I'm not sure if the preconditioning would have much effect on a 50kw charge and more designed for the higher charging of superchargers