Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frequent "charging interrupted" messages on my Gen 3 Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,
I hope I am posting this in the right thread. I own a MYP 2022 and have had a Gen 3 Wall Connector installed at home from the day I took possession of the vehicle in July of 2022. In the past two months or so I have been getting a lot of "charging interrupted" messages. Some points to note:
- I almost always set the charging current to 30A
- I have not noticed interruptions when using super chargers and I use super chargers at least twice a month
- I charge my MYP 2022 and my Chevy Volt (2018) using the same charger. Yes, I use a Tesla to J1772 adaptor in the latter case. I suspect the current draw when charging my Chevy Volt does not go anywhere north of 12A
- I get the charging interruption notice in both my cars!

Any and all pointers will be much appreciated.
Thas

Your Volt probably goes up to 15 or 16 amps. It shouldn't max out at 12 amps at 208/240 volts. (I know that Bolts have a goofy 8/12 amp toggle but that ONLY affects L1 (120 volt) charging. It has 0 effect on level charging and DC charging.)
Yes, I stand corrected on the max current draw from my Volt. Regardless, I wanted to highlight that I am not drawing more than 30A in neither of these two cars.

Reactions: cwerdna
One more point about the charging interruptions... by the time I notice it in my app and go to the app to check status, the car is already continuing to charge. So the interruption appears to be temporary. I regularly check my circuit breakers in my house panel and they appear to be fine.

Can't really help on the interruption but you shouldn't need to muck w/the max charging rate on the car side.

Wall and mobile connector are J1772 (Basics of SAE J1772) behind the scenes. The EVSE is supposed to view the pilot signal duty signal advertise "this is the max you can draw". Connected vehicles are supposed to comply and draw no more than the max advertised. Page 6 of https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ng/Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.pdf lists the breaker (and circuit) ratings vs. max output. WC needs to be configured properly to avoid an overload and tripping (or worse).

What amperage circuit is the WC on?

That was my hunch as well; however, there is no red light on the TWC. By the time I get to the WC it is back to charging and all I see is the happy flowing green lights.
Contact Tesla support. They should be able to look at the logs. Maybe a problem with the hardware causing it to reboot. If it's randomly rebooting that would explain the interrupted charging for a short time and then resuming charging quickly after.

Reactions: cwerdna
Hi everyone,
here is an update on the issue I posted here. I put the TWC back on the new wifi. I had trouble making the WC transmit its SSID, so I power cycled at the mains panel. This allowed me to connect back to the WC using a web browser. There was no failure log entry even though the web interface has a specific section for this.
It has been close to two weeks now and the issue has not come up again. I regularly charge both my vehicles and no interruption warnings at all!
Conclusion: I might have had some brownout situations in February with strong winds in my area. Power cycling at the panel seems to have resolved the issue -- fingers and toes crossed!

Thank you all for all the valuable and timely suggestions.

Reactions: 240vPlug
I just started having this issue as well. Noticed it a few weeks ago. Charge interrupts and then continued to charge within a couple minutes.

I live in a condo so I don’t have access to the breaker but I’ll get our building maintenance to flip the breaker and see if this resolves it.

In the mean time I tried a factory reset via the ip/service url. I’m wondering if this is an issue on the latest firmware.

Hello to all,

I wonder if someone can give advice. The topic is already discussed but I think there is not enough users.
Since last firmware update the Wall Connector started to interrupt charging.
Here is my situation:
Model Y 2020
Wall Connector Gen 3 with firmware 23.8.2, still in guarantee.
Braker 40A.
Instalation in basement of condo building - no internet. I update from time to time with a cell phone i-net.
I have the Wall Connector for 3 years. No issues so far. No changes in el. installation.
I did the update in end of March. Since then every time I charge I have several message on my phone "Charging interrupted...." Interruptions lasts several seconds after that the car charges to desired threshold. No error messages from the car.
What I have done:
Restart the Connector, restart the car, changed account password (Tesla suggestion), bug reports, looked for another version of firmware, car has the latest update, contacted Tesla on many occasions (explanations follow).
After long hours of observations (in the damp garage :-( I realized that interruption happen when the Connector start to broadcast WIFi (just to remind you that it is not connected to I-net). There is a short LED green line, followed by blue light (as communicating with the car) and after it starts charging again. At this moment I receive message on my phone. No messages on the car screen. A curious detail - it happens only if you are outside of the car and it is locked. If I sit inside never happens.
It happens if I charge other car (non Tesla) as well.
Tesla experience: I had made many hours Inet connections so they can investigate the unit from a distance - no issues detected.
Tesla explanation: TESLA app creates false communications with the car which provokes the interruptions. They work on the problem and will contact users with this problem.

In my opinion it is not the app but the connector + last update (I charged other non Tesla cars and the interruptions happened - Tesla app cannot communicate with other cars). So far the service from Tesla is somehow inadequate and they show no interest.
My intention is to wait for an update but I have doubts that this will address the problem if it entirely directed to the app only.
Anyone with such an issue? Any solutions or suggestions? How to proceed in case the update is not working?
And another question off topic - do you know when we can add the Wall Connector to the APP (from the menu Add/Remove products) - the same way we can add car, Powerwall Solar Inverter?

Thank you very much,