Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frequent Tire Punctures (4 in 7 months) Killing My Love For My Model X- Avg Every six weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having very frequent tire punctures and tire issues in general. It has gotten to the point that it is really ruining the experience of owning this vehicle. I have had 4 tire punctures since April. I am averaging a tire puncture about every 6 weeks. My wife and I can't remember the last time we had a tire puncture or issue. We can't think of a single tire problem between the two of us in the last 15 years. Nothing has changed about the way we drive or where we drive, the only thing that changed was the vehicle, which makes it feel like it is a problem specific to the Model X or the tires.

To add to the stress of this, the TPMS sensors don't tell us the pressure in the tires until we are a mile or two down the road. So by the time we get the low pressure signal we are well on our way to work or to drop kids off at school, at which point we have to turn around and go back home to the compressor. As a result, I have to go out and manually check the tire pressure, every time we want to drive, which makes driving this car feel more like a chore than something I enjoy. My daughter and wife have been significantly late for school and work twice now bc of this issue.

Another issue is that we no longer feel confident traveling long distances in this vehicle without having some tire troubles. As a result, I have purchased the Tesla spare in a can, a full sized spare, and a full tire changing kit. This adds quite a bit of weight to the vehicle, taking up precious cargo space and depleting the battery more quickly due to the added weight.

This is getting really frustrating and it makes this car no longer enjoyable or dependable for us. We wanted the larger wheels but opted for the smaller ones bc we didn't want headaches with the tires. Well we are still having headaches with the tires. What do we do? Is anyone else dealing with this? Is this normal?

By tire punctures, are you referring to foreign objects (nails or such)? Or are you getting a pinched sidewall from potholes? Or is it just slow leaks?
Do you have the 20 or 22 inch rims? What size were the tires on your previous cars?

By tire punctures, are you referring to foreign objects (nails or such)? Or are you getting a pinched sidewall from potholes? Or is it just slow leaks?
Do you have the 20 or 22 inch rims? What size were the tires on your previous cars?
By punctures, I mean debris in the tires. It has been glass and nails. I have the 20's bc I thought I would have fewer issues with this size. Previous vehicle was a Yukon and the tires were much bigger

By punctures, I mean debris in the tires. It has been glass and nails. I have the 20's bc I thought I would have fewer issues with this size. Previous vehicle was a Yukon and the tires were much bigger

That is just bad luck then, or some had a poorly secured load on your commute.

For comparison, we never had trouble with our cars. Then wife got a new SUV, first month: nail in sidewall, second month: door was backed into, third month: windshield taken out by rock.

Yes, very seriously. I have a pregnant wife, a 3 year old and a 5 year old and we take frequent long road trips. Im can't get stuck on the side of the road with a flat, its not an option.
I think they were referencing the range loss due to weight of spare...

Sounds like you are driving on the shoulder of the road where all the debris ends up!! Are your flats on the right side tires? ............... or you are very unlucky! Don't waste your money on lottery tickets until this clears up!!;)

Buy some road hazard insurance????

Last edited:
That is just bad luck then, or some had a poorly secured load on your commute.

For comparison, we never had trouble with our cars. Then wife got a new SUV, first month: nail in sidewall, second month: door was backed into, third month: windshield taken out by rock.

I think they were referencing the range loss due to weight of spare...
Yea sorry I caught that! A spare tire, plus a jack, plus all the tools and supplies weighs close to 100lbs. 100lbs, of what should be unnecessary equipment will have an impact on range. I don't care how minimal it is, the fact of the matter is, the more weight you add to these vehicles, the worse the range.

Yes, very seriously. I have a pregnant wife, a 3 year old and a 5 year old and we take frequent long road trips. Im can't get stuck on the side of the road with a flat, its not an option. And yes to the battery depletion. The spare tire kit and equipment all together easily weighs 100lbs.
Sorry you are having trouble with flats, but as others have stated it is not a Tesla problem, you apparently have run into a VERY unlucky streak (or something was dumped on a route you typically drive).

FYI, 100# does not change your range by even 0.1%. Estimated impact over 100,000 miles = 17kWh.

Well I've had one nail in a tyre on my MX (20" OEM Michelin tyres) in 13K miles - no other tyre issues. If you are picking up glass and nails on a regular basis I would suggest someone is either deliberately sabotaging your car or perhaps a builder is dropping a load of glass and nails along one of your regular routes. I really don't think it's the car's fault! What tyre brand/model are you running?

BTW all TPMS sensors take a bit of running before they update. That's just how they work and not specific to Tesla.

Are you regularly driving through an area of road construction? I've had a nail puncture and I think it came from driving on an unpaved road.

I think the combination of weight, and pressure raises the odds of a puncture.

As it happens the one nail I picked up was after driving through a stretch of road works. The weight doesn't help for sure, but I don't think it's an inherent problem with the X. It's not like people are posting about this sort of issue every day.

I’ve had 4 nails in 2.5 years. 3 nails were on the original 20” wheels. 1 nail on the 22” turbines. To be fair, my precious car, a RAV4 EV had similarly frequent nails. But none of my other current and past cars (Model S x2 and a variety of Honda’s and Acura’s) have had so many nails. No clue what this all means though. Lol