Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frequent Tire Punctures (4 in 7 months) Killing My Love For My Model X- Avg Every six weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the suggestion is that a Tesla Model X is the cause of the nails and other road objects on the road puncturing tires.
That's a pretty odd connection to make - but hey ho.
o_O
Thats not exactly what I said. I am frustrated with the amount of tire punctures I am having and I am simply trying to figure out the cause as I have never had tire issues before owning a Tesla. Bc I've never had these problems with any other vehicle, yes I did wonder if there might be something unique to Tesla's that may make them more prone to having tire issues. It was not my intention to attack or blame Tesla. I was just asking for advice and trying to find out if this was bad luck for me or a wide spread issue.

Thats not exactly what I said. I am frustrated with the amount of tire punctures I am having and I am simply trying to figure out the cause as I have never had tire issues before owning a Tesla. Bc I've never had these problems with any other vehicle, yes I did wonder if there might be something unique to Tesla's that may make them more prone to having tire issues. It was not my intention to attack or blame Tesla. I was just asking for advice and trying to find out if this was bad luck for me or a wide spread issue.
Its pretty close to what you said - "makes it feel like it is a problem specific to the Model X" is exactly what you said - just sayin'
Having said that, I feel your pain - I've had two nails in two months with my Model 3, I just didn't go to thinking it was the car. More that I'm now driving differently and taking advantage of its capabilities that I never had the opportunity to with my old car.
I had one that I could get plugged, but the other was a big nail sticking in the sidewall so had to replace a two month old tire.
So technically it is because of the new car, just not its fault. . . . . . :cool:

Reactions: Akikiki
I have put on 20,000 miles on my Model and had no such experience. A few years back when I had the first-year-model of Chevy Volt, it had tire punctures just as frequently as your Model X, but driving other cars of mine didn't seem to have such bad luck, so I can understand your frustration.

Reactions: Akikiki
It’s the damn AP that is doing this
I've actually gotten this suggested on a couple of other forums as well. I am starting to lean towards this theory. While I would never be able to spot a individual nail or a piece of glass, I do avoid piles of debris that build up in certain places on the road. It makes sense that my AP wouldn't worry about those little sandy spots that I would otherwise avoid. I think, at the moment, this is the most logical explanation.

I've actually gotten this suggested on a couple of other forums as well. I am starting to lean towards this theory. While I would never be able to spot a individual nail or a piece of glass, I do avoid piles of debris that build up in certain places on the road. It makes sense that my AP wouldn't worry about those little sandy spots that I would otherwise avoid. I think, at the moment, this is the most logical explanation.

Before I knew anything about AP this was exactly what I thought it was supposed to do. Navigate around debris, squirrels on the road, stuff falling of trucks on front of me etc etc.

I think stuff just happens:

Yes, I have had more problems also with my model S. First 500 miles a screw that turned out to be very short and no leak.

The second was on a 3000 mile trip another short screw with a sharp point on the near edge of the tire. I limped home amazingly it held air all the way after slightly overfilling like 48psi. It was in the last 300 miles and nobody including Tesla would fix it. I plugged the tire a week later at home and has been plugged for 13000 miles. I know its there and I keep tabs on it and the steering wheel at speeds.

It is what it is, its not the car. Now lack of spare and a way to change it yourself, well thats different and yes we all make and have plans at varying degrees to accommodate getting back on the road quicker. I have not gone as far as carrying a spare though. On a very long trip, I may reconsider that at later date. Sounds cumbersome.

As far as being that quick to fix a slightly lower inflation on a tire(s) from day to day, well I don't do that, my tires hold pretty well to 45 with some occasional topping off. Summer more then winter.

Now maybe your referring to the fact you know something is in the tire and you must go back home to fill it up to keep the psi up until you fix it because now the TPS is telling you its low because its leaking?

Something is happening in your environment that was not happening perhaps with other cars. Here in Florida, its called new construction and the whole place is under construction, all the time. These cars are heavier, but I really don't think thats it. They are not any heavier really then those SUVs you describe in your post.

I recently bought a Subaru and in the course of the first 400 miles I had two punctured tires. The punctures were sharp rocks going right through the tread blocks of the OEM Bridgestone Duellers. I replaced the tires with proper tires for gravel and dirt roads (Yokohoma Geolanders) and in the several thousand miles since, driving on the same roads/trails, no punctures.

OEM tires are often a compromise and if you are in an area with more debris on the roads, you may want to just upgrade to tires that have more robust construction. You'll lose some range or performance, likely, but if you are very concerned with punctures it's probably the easiest solution.

I never had a flat or leak in over 20 years until I bought my Tesla. Then I had two screws within two months: Screwed twice in less than two months! BAD luck or sabotage?

At first, I thought it might be a jealous coworker or something but then realized there's a house two blocks away that was having the siding installed. I think that's what probably caused my two problems...and I haven't had any other issues in the past 20+ months.

Reactions: jboy210

Sorry to hear about the experience. As you already know, there are too many other variables to think that it might be the Tesla. Perhaps there just wasn't any construction issues or problems with nails on the road in the past with your other cars. I'm also thinking just bad luck and like the suggestion of other folks to buy some tires at a place that also has good road hazard insurance.

We’ve had ours for 12K miles. No punctures or problems so far. Haven’t seen any reports on the forums about it.

So I don’t know. And yes the TPMS takes a while to fire up on all our cars.

I had 10+ years no flat in my pre-Tesla car. Then I got a Tesla and suddenly the other car had two flats and then I got another Tesla (lemon the first one) and withint 1.5 months had two flats... Things just happen I guess.

the first one was (a very gentle) bump against curb that completely ripped out a section in sidewall that immediately killed the tire, TPMS gave me warning of flat withing 10 seconds of the event.

The second one is a mystery. The tire is melted and the cord is exposed and I am not sure what caused it, but it was a relatively slow leak so I was able to pump it up and go to a tire shop all by myself. The first warning appeared pretty soon after the event it appears too.

IMG_20180912_174503.jpg