Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fresh Air Intake Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m going to use window screen material today and or cheesecloth... the furnace filter material works well, but mine is certainly 1” thick - which is at the maximum thickness. If you can find 1/2” filter media - it would be amazing in my book.

I also love the idea of a hair net w the elastic band stretched over the intake channel.

Reactions: laservet
UPDATE

Prefilter is doing a really good job! This is after 4 months to the day after installation. It has picked up quite a bit of grime as can be seen in the pictures. This is on relatively clean roads during winter use. No gravel roads or anything out of the normal stuff. Put about 3,000km on her which is not much yet there is quite a bit in there which would have ended up in the main filter. Overall this is a worth while addition considering the very low cost and ease of replacement. Will change mine out about 3 times a year based on what I see now.

I did not put much milage on the car however due to winter, preheating happens probably 2 times a day in my case and that heater does move a lot of air causing the filtration to work harder than an ICE vehicle.

Bottom line is the prefilter picks up quite a bit that would clog up the main filter much quicker compared to not having one.

IMG_2824.jpg
IMG_2825.jpg

Last edited:
this is great idea.
but i am worry that most of these filter are made for indoor temperatures.
they may not stand up well in very hot and very cold weather..
The foam may become brittle and break into small pieces or dust and got suck into the car.

Make sure you get the material that’s suitable.
There are aftermarket engine foam filter for ICE car. Modding one of those should work.
this comment needs more visibility. People in hot / humid climates. i.e sitting outside in a parking lot for 8 hours baking while at work.

I have similar furnace filter media cut to fit in my 2020 MY - but as a science teacher, the temperatures noted above make me wonder about skiing in the mountains and then baking 120-130F in a parking lot.

I may look into simple window screen media instead.

The other cabin filters can take care of the pollens and smaller particulates.

I do not see the material braking up due to temps. That being said mine felt no different than new material when removed however it has only seen extreme cold temps so far, no real heat to speak of. Even if some did break off, it would simply get caught by the main filter just like all the crud that gets sucked in naturally.

Reactions: 52 16 57 39