Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fresh new batch of Teslas on Island?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dates are now literally the end of the month, of 25-31st. The dates have remained fairly consistent in terms of distance to where I was at the time. Friday 11th, it is 13 days ahead of me. Last Sunday 6th, it was 13 days ahead. November 25th, it was 14 days ahead.

Bit frustrating, since I ordered last quarter to try and get it sooner than EOQ.

I am planning on stopping by the delivery center tomorrow morning, to drop off my Military Tax exemption form, and also to spy on it to see if there are people taking delivery so I can glower at them in jealousy.

We know what you are feeling. We can relate. You have our sympathy, seeking it or not. I know you waited a long time for your transfer so you could order your car. That's different and it isn't different. Way way back in 2012/13 we had to wait and get an invite to place the order. Then we waited months for the build. In those days they first build about 100 cars a week. It was a big deal when it jumped to 200 a week.

Two years ago the last 10 days of Dec, a group of local club members worked 15-16 hour days at the SC helping with deliveries. We talked to people waiting hours to pickup their cars. We answered questions and soothed their nerves while they waited. And we sat with them helping them learn the car while Delivery Team moved to the next customer to do paperwork. Some of us worked in the back and washed (honestly) two-three dozen cars a day and prepped them for the owners. We know. We know owner anxiety to pickup their cars. And we loved every minute of it.

So, possibly good news. My delivery window shifted forward to 15-18! Which is awesome! Excepting I had tied up my cash in stock options, haha, since the pick up wasn't for another supposed two weeks. Gotta go buy back that Put now, so I can have the cash to make the deposit before picking up.

I am in communication with another Oahu member picking up his S. He received a call this afternoon and has scheduled his pick up for the 23rd. I, being unable to have my cell phone in my office, hurried down to the lobby to check to see if I had any missed calls. I did not, alas, but I am hopeful.

I did try to go to Tesla this weekend, only to learn as I was lost looking at google maps that it was closed on the weekend. Don't know how accurate that'll be if the shipment came in, but I did not drop off my form as intended. May start bringing it with me to work, however. In case of sudden pick up.

I have received my delivery appointment! Next Thursday, 24 December.

I plan on bringing cookies to the delivery date since they're all working the holiday.

@Akikiki Do you know if the Hawaii Tesla owners group will be helping with deliveries this year? You said y'all did so in 2018, dunno if that continued. I'm uncertain how many cookies I should bring.

Do you have any updates for your MY delivery?

They updated my Tesla account and first said to expect delivery around Dec. 23 - 29 so I figured that was OK since it gave me time to prepare. Then they updated it and said Dec. 15 - 19 which was sooner than I expected. Got the phone call which I ignored since it was out of state, they left a voicemail and a text so I called them back.

Seems my car is on the boat arriving next week after all, but is on the boat the following week so I'm taking my time and scheduled delivery on Dec. 26.

Reactions: LN1_Casey
I have received my delivery appointment! Next Thursday, 24 December.

I plan on bringing cookies to the delivery date since they're all working the holiday.

@Akikiki Do you know if the Hawaii Tesla owners group will be helping with deliveries this year? You said y'all did so in 2018, dunno if that continued. I'm uncertain how many cookies I should bring.
@LN1_Casey, yes, I know :) We will not. There's no big end of year rush this last quarter. (We worked BIG end of year/qtr. They didn't need is at the very last qtr before the rebate ended. So its been a while.

Congratulations on getting your new car. We hope you post some pictures here of delivery and the car. You are most welcome to do so.

Reactions: LN1_Casey
Update: 12/26/20 finally did take delivery of my Model Y at the Auahi St. service center on this rainy, rainy day. While I had intended to do the detailed inspection, I did a quick walk around to try and spot any obvious issues but didn't really notice any. Even the light grey interior sections were clean.

When I got home and started to load up the new car with stuff from the old car noticed one minor assembly issue in the right rear inner fender where one plastic "nut" wasn't fully cinched down on the 'felt' like inner fender lining. Other fasteners on both left and right inner fenders were fastened down OK.

Rear doors aren't quite level with the front door or rear quarter panel, but you have to be looking closely or run your hand along the body to notice. I'm going to wait and see since I don't want to mess up the rear doors then get wind whistling or some other annoyance popping up.

Oh, yeah, it did come with the metal scroll wheels on the steering wheel, the USB stick in the glovebox, dual pane front door glass, auto dim mirrors seems to be both door mirrors and interior rear view (? from the look of the mirror glass with the band around the edges) and no updated console. VIN 77,XXX build 11/20.

Yeah it does ride firmer than I remembered from my test drive of the Model Y (and earlier of the Model 3) but I can live with it on our lousy streets.

Last edited:
Whoops! Forgot to post here about my delivery.

upload_2020-12-23_8-7-26-jpeg.620484

Got her on the 22nd, thankfully no rain then. Only saw one minor chip of paint near her rear taillight, but it's getting wrapped Monday so not big of a deal. However, more annoying is that her driver's side repeater camera is not functional, and thus navigate on autopilot, left side sentry mode, and back up is not functional. Getting the service tech in on Monday also, before drop her off for her wrap.

Staff loved the cookies, and it was a quick and easy turn about. Really love the adaptive suspension on these bumpy roads.

Hmm, looks live a covey of Teslas resting in place before they take flight around the island. Good catch, but be quiet. We don't want to spook'em.

It is at Ilikai Marina, so halfway between the two stores I guess. Looks like there might be an opportunity for a good deal on an X before the refresh...

I wonder if my car is sitting on that rooftop?

OK, I have sort of the reverse or opposite problem to what you are used to.
  • Been planning to buy a Tesla since 2016. (Had to save.)
  • Excited in 2020 to hear of upcoming refresh.
  • On 01-27-21 studied refresh details closely—but preferred pre-refresh Model X.
  • Looked through inventory cars all over the United States. Missed some by minutes.
  • On 01-29-21, ready to give up, finally found the car—in Honolulu.
  • Read the Tesla information and followed the online instructions carefully.
  • Committed with the $100 non-refundable deposit.
  • Received a Tesla account, RN number, and VIN number. (Car odometer has 15 miles.)
  • Received full breakdown of fees and charges, including special $2,000 transportation fee.
  • Tesla system reviewed my home address but selected (Rocklin, CA) service center for delivery.
  • So all set. Entered pre-delivery period hell (just like everyone else).
But! This week I get call from Hawaii--please come in and pick up your car. What!? I explained; they balked. Why didn’t I select a car on the continent? Blah, blah.

So now I am waiting in agony for a final decision (by Elon?).

Back to you all. If I had to take delivery there and try to ship the car from Honolulu to California what’s involved? Do I have to establish residency!? About how much would it all cost, do you think? This is a nightmare.

Not that I wouldn’t want to visit the Islands, but I’m seeing money fly out the window. And I am really annoyed at (someone or something in) Tesla for putting me through this.

Any advice?
Title Screen.jpg

Direct advice? I would not dare. But isn't CA sales tax 8%? And if you took delivery in CA regardless of where you live (I know you live in CA), you had to pay CA sales tax? If you take delivery in HI, and pay 4.21% sales tax and ship it for $1100, might be ahead. Drive with no plate or HI plate for 80+ days and re-register it in CA. Just a thought.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: tps5352
Direct advice? I would not dare. But isn't CA sales tax 8%? And if you took delivery in CA regardless of where you live (I know you live in CA), you had to pay CA sales tax? If you take delivery in HI, and pay 4.21% sales tax and ship it for $1100, might be a head. Drive with no plate or HI plate for 80+ days and re-register it in CA. Just a thought.

Interesting. This issue just started this week, so it is totally new territory for me.

I should have known it was too easy. If only there had been inventory cars left in the Lower 48. Tesla did too good of a job getting rid of inventory cars before the refresh announcement.

Although I would think that transport from Coral Gables Florida (where one car I missed was) to California would be just as expensive as transport from Hawaii. (Maybe not.) I think I read that boats come fully laden to the Islands but go back much less full. Should be cheaper to ship back, I would think.

Same cost from Pasha and Matson to ship either way. Lots of cars fill the ships going back to mainland. Besides, how do you think we get rid of all the pineapple we grow? Ya think we eat it all?

I was going to say that, but I didn't want to invoke a commerce stereotype. Actually Hawaii is an exporter of petroleum and airplane parts. Who knew? (And yes, pineapple and macadamia nuts, thank heavens for us in the remaining 49, in addition to some interesting movies and TV shows.)