Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fresh new batch of Teslas on Island?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LN1_Casey

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus
Mar 6, 2019
Oahu, Hawaii
Does anyone know when Tesla delivers to Hawaii? I know that they generally produce for the EU/overseas market for the first part of each quarter, to facilitate deliver in time for end of quarter, but where does Hawaii fall into that? It can't exactly get a truck delivery, but I don't think it'd get a dedicated RoRo either.

I have my model S on order, just curious as to how long I'll need a rental before it arrives.

Before the tax credit expired, the last 5 or so quarters the numbers arriving each last 3 weeks of the quarter numbered in 3 digits.

We track the cars we see in the wild. We collect license number, color and model. Those that we have seen and documented are more than 1660. We estimate there's another 100 at any one time with paper plates. And maybe another 200+ that we have not seen yet to capture its tag.

Right now, we believe there's 2,000+ on Oahu.

• Informative
Reactions: LN1_Casey
Before the tax credit expired, the last 5 or so quarters the numbers arriving each last 3 weeks of the quarter numbered in 3 digits.

We track the cars we see in the wild. We collect license number, color and model. Those that we have seen and documented are more than 1660. We estimate there's another 100 at any one time with paper plates. And maybe another 200+ that we have not seen yet to capture its tag.

Right now, we believe there's 2,000+ on Oahu.

Huh! Interesting. :eek: Lets see if someone spots me before I get my car custom color wrapped, haha.

If you are considering Purple, there's one already done here.

We might spot you, but we won't count you, until you have a number.

Your number will likely be xxxP or R.

Our EV tags have only 4 digits. Think about it. about 999 then 999a, 999b. We are at P now. But it includes hybrids and other EVs.

• Informative
I shipped my Model S from Oakland to Honolulu on 8/28/20, arriving 9/14/20. As I dropped the car off in OAK at the Matson pier, there must have been about 40 brand Teslas waiting to be shipped out. I would expect that they make deliveries every 2 weeks or at least once a month. I bet Tesla has an arrangement with Matson.

• Informative
I shipped my Model S from Oakland to Honolulu on 8/28/20, arriving 9/14/20. As I dropped the car off in OAK at the Matson pier, there must have been about 40 brand Teslas waiting to be shipped out. I would expect that they make deliveries every 2 weeks or at least once a month. I bet Tesla has an arrangement with Matson.
Ordinarily, car shipments only take a week. Actually less than a week. Arrive Sunday or Monday. Offloading on Tuesdays'. Boats usually leave CA on Thursday. So, if you dropped it off on 8/28th a Friday, you missed the late Tue/Wed loading. Years ago we used to track our cars from factory to Honolulu harbor. Back in those days, Tesla turned on Remote Access to test at Fremont and didn't bother to turn it off. And when there was only 20 employees building and performing admin, they added our car's to our accounts immediately. We could "see" them in the map part of the app before they left CA and again when they got close to Hawaii. And we knew the ship they were on, and tracked them on ship nav. They got smarter and took all that away from us because we used to honk the horn and play with the lights while the car was in the ship's hold. Bad owner, bad.

Currently in the window of my delivery, but still no VIN assigned.

Do they give the VINs from the factory, or do they assign them once the vehicle arrives here? My advisor said we can schedule delivery once VIN is assigned, so it gives indication that it may be the latter.

At factory. Usually before production starts. Deep enough into when it occurs, so you will likely get a 2021 VIN now.

Found a home with place where you can charge at home?

I believe so. I picked a place in Mililani, and it has a currently unused jacuzzi outlet that the owner is fine with me re-purposing into a EV one. It was wired post-production of the house from the breaker box in the garage, so easy peasy to pull the wires back and reuse them. And there is a 240v already in there for the laundry I can use in the meantime between moving in, getting the Tesla wall charger, and getting the electrician out there.

However, the owner will be occupying it until Mid-month, so if I get my car between now and then, I'll have to figure out a charging location near my hotel on Ford Island. Good thing though, is that I work on Ford Island, so once charged it should last me quite a bit.

I believe so. I picked a place in Mililani, and it has a currently unused jacuzzi outlet that the owner is fine with me re-purposing into a EV one. It was wired post-production of the house from the breaker box in the garage, so easy peasy to pull the wires back and reuse them. And there is a 240v already in there for the laundry I can use in the meantime between moving in, getting the Tesla wall charger, and getting the electrician out there.

However, the owner will be occupying it until Mid-month, so if I get my car between now and then, I'll have to figure out a charging location near my hotel on Ford Island. Good thing though, is that I work on Ford Island, so once charged it should last me quite a bit.

Target is right down the road from the Ford Island bridge and has free charging available - about 4 stalls IIRC, but you'll have to compete with all the Leafs. I think there might be a charger at the NEX too, but I assume you should have Military ID before you go there to charge.

• Informative
So, finally got my VIN, and an expected date of Delivery of more precisely December 5th-December 11th. A bit disappointed by the lateness, as I'll have to redo my pre-approved loan documents. On the other had, with the SP&500 inclusion announcement, it'll allow my stocks to appreciate nicely... right before it actually goes into effect, haha. Hopefully there is some runup between now and then.

Though I will question whether anyone received a non-inventory Tesla on island since the start of the Quarter. I've had this car on order since mid-September, after all, so logically it should have been shuttled to the first shipment one made. As it's a Model S, they're not as crunched for mass production as model 3 or Y are.

I've been sitting and waiting since August when I finalized my MY order, still waiting with no updates after completing the usual registration info, insurance, payment info. Taking so long my initial trade in offer expired twice and now dropped a couple thousand.

My delivery window keeps getting pushed back. It's now at 09-15 December, from 05-11. :oops: Every day closer is still the same days away.

Just happy that I have my motorcycle now, so I don't have to keep paying for a rental. That was getting pricey!

My SA contacted me saying she pinged my car, that it was sitting in Oakland port. My delivery window is now 12-18 Dec, but that's not a guarantee as it keeps . I got my home charger installed, so that's nice, whenever my car does arrive.

Pity I'm not in CA and can't just go up there myself and drive it back.

My delivery window keeps getting pushed back. It's now at 09-15 December, from 05-11. :oops: Every day closer is still the same days away.

Just happy that I have my motorcycle now, so I don't have to keep paying for a rental. That was getting pricey!

Dates are allll the way back to 20-26 December now. I've been in communication with another member on the Island who's also had his dates pushed. He said that Tesla told him there will be two shipments this month for delivery. Dunno why so late in the month, but I also got a call from Tesla today who told me that Hawaii is like the red headed stepchild of deliveries. Usually get the "left over" ones to sell instead of the more populated ones.

Dunno how true that is, but then again it's more effort to send cars here, so I can see them trying to save some pennies by doing such.