Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fresh new Roadster owner (722)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@ecarfan #722 Roadster Sport, in Twilight Blue. Previous owner was Tesla Motors itself. Some of you California roadster owners out there may have had this car as service loaner. Turns out a friend of mine had actually received this car twice as a loaner. I haven't gotten the full service history yet, but I suspect at the very least that the PEM has been replaced (lacks the Roadster Sport badge).

Another potentially interesting observation: I've been in several roadsters before and I always recall this quiet but distinct throaty clunk when accelerating hard. This roadster doesn't seem to do this. Any other owners know what I'm talking about here? Maybe it's just the charger CAN rolling back and forth in the trunk?

Reactions: dhrivnak
Another potentially interesting observation: I've been in several roadsters before and I always recall this quiet but distinct throaty clunk when accelerating hard. This roadster doesn't seem to do this. Any other owners know what I'm talking about here? Maybe it's just the charger CAN rolling back and forth in the trunk?

My car does this, and has always done it. Sounds like a transmission issue, but I am told by Tesla Service that it is 'normal'.

I guess it's car dependent. No throaty clunks in mine, just a small one when going from regen to forward or forward to regen at low speeds, which I presume is just normal slack in the drive train.

You might check to see if there's something rolling around in the tool section of the trunk (under the floor piece), or ask if your passenger is trying to say something and can't get it out.

two seperate sounds:
1. after just starting to drive the "clack" sound will come once; this is the gear lock and normal.
2. that clunky sound came to my car after a while pushing it to the limits again and again. I am not sure this sound comes from the gearbox or from the sway bar or supensions or bearings...

ah... and kudos! Live without a Tesla Roadster is possible but makes no sense ;)