Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fridge/Freezer that fits the Model X is on sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These Dometic Fridge/Freezer are excellent. The CFX 28 fits between the two middle seat in the 6 seater or fit in the rear trunk behind the 3rd row seat. They rarely go on sale, but you can get them now for a slight discount. The stock 12v cuts out everytime the car shuts off, so its good to get a cheap battery pack. You can run this for a few hours with a portable battery that you can charge on the fly.

Dometic CFX 28 Electric Powered Cooler: Never Use Ice Again

Can the 35 fit between the middle seat and sideways in the trunk?
Dimensions from the other thread. Compare 28 to 35:
M8G8cTi.jpg

I've used one of these (Dometic CFX-35US) in my X on multi-week roadtrips and if you have sentry on then the 12v rail/power is kept on and fridge keeps working. I think the same would happen on 'camper' mode.

Other threads:
Renewing the debate on the best Fridge/Freezer for 6 seater MX
Dometic CFX-40W in Model X (6-seat) Unboxing and Initial Imptression

Re: if you have sentry on then the 12v rail/power is kept on
This no longer appears to be true that sentry=on means the rear 12v plug stays on ... after either an OTA firmware update OR my MCU1->MCU2 upgrade.

I also tried leaving the climate=ON HVAC option (i.e. as if you left a passenger in the car). I set the temp to 81F (one more click up means 'HI') and the temp was 79F outside. This used 1% over an hour (bike ride). Came back to a fridge at 54F when it will normally be in the ~35F range based on my current setting.

Anyone experience the 12v rear plug not staying on in sentry? Alternatives? Situation is if you are on a road trip and want to keep things cold in your fridge.

On a recent road trip the 12V in the trunk apparently stayed on the first two nights while plugged into Tesla destination HPWC. Later, when plugged into a 110 V 15A outlet in a garage it was clearly off, and cooked our food inside the hot garage. During all the time parked, sentry was on.

I'm working on a battery backup. My first attempt with a solar charge module failed, it didn’t recharge the aux battery consistently, and finally blew the fuse to the trunk 12V outlet. Replacement fuses arrived today ...

I’ll post with details after I verify the functioning battery setup.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
On a recent road trip the 12V in the trunk apparently stayed on the first two nights while plugged into Tesla destination HPWC. Later, when plugged into a 110 V 15A outlet in a garage it was clearly off, and cooked our food inside the hot garage. During all the time parked, sentry was on.

I'm working on a battery backup. My first attempt with a solar charge module failed, it didn’t recharge the aux battery consistently, and finally blew the fuse to the trunk 12V outlet. Replacement fuses arrived today ...

I’ll post with details after I verify the functioning battery setup.
I'm wondering if the trailer ebrake 4 pin wiring harness stays hot/on.

On my MX I'm using the trailer ebrake 4 pin wiring harness plugin for power for my dashcam. It is 20 amps. That would be 240 watts = 20 amperes * 12 volts.

faq051_hh_500-jpg.99142

Tesla X manual:
EFbGHPU.jpg

Below via ecrsail: Dometic CFX-40W in Model X (6-seat) Unboxing and Initial Imptression
The maximum rated current consumption at 12 V is listed at 7.0 A, or only 84 W.

technical-data-snapshot-png.244504

Last edited:
Yes it is on all the time, it powers my dash cam
Thanks. It is powering mine as well but indirectly as I have a BlackView battery between the plug and dashcam so I don't know if I could easily tell. Originally I was concerned about running the 12v as I now recall but then read about how the Tesla monitor it and top it off.

This Amazon purchase may just be the solution for me. Not road tripping lately but doing hikes and bike rides and it is nice to come back to cold drinks/snacks!

cuHbTrE.jpg

Last edited: