Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Friend crashed model 3 and they think due to foot obstruction (maybe)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Since I'm recounting this from a friend, clearly there could be other things at play, and my own research (googling) doesn;t provide any real info or similar incidents, which is telling of course.

This friend doesn't actually own a model 3, they had put their car into shop for something or other and was given it as a loaner. I though it was an unusual car to use as loaner, but could be common I don't know.

They drove home, and as they recount it, as was about to pull into their driveway but somehow managed to hit car parked in front (I don't know exactly how they managed that), this apparently caused airbag deployment and here's the weird bit, they are adamant that at that point the car just started to accelerate and they couldn't stop it until it flew into another car in the street. They maintain that when the airbags deployed something obstructed the brake pedal and stepping on it did nothing.

I know, could be panic and all that, and all I can find are what's called knee airbags, presumably meant to protect knees/legs. Nothing that I'm aware of that would either obstruct the pedals, or by some fluke, force legs down onto pedal.

Anyhow, anyone else ever hear of such a thing? I'll be waiting on updates as I'm sure their insurance will want to know who is to blame and should be easy to see if something did in fact get in way, ot and more likely they panicked and let their brain come up with better excuse !!

ps. Don't be a troll/fan boy. This post is to see if anyone else has ever heard of this.

JFC, how many of these are we getting now every week?
giphy.gif

No, havent heard of that. What I HAVE heard of, is people new to driving teslas accidentally speeding up because they dont realize that they are still pushing the accelerator because regen braking slows the car down fairly aggressively.

They feel the car "not slowing down enough, but slowing down" and then push the accelerator instead of the brake. Much more likely that some strange story about pedal not working etc.

Not being a troll or fanboy but people will say whatever they can to not accept responsibility for some things, and smashing up a rental car is one thing people will lie about to try to get out of accepting responsibility for.

Also, your *friend* is the one who needs to be researching this stuff... why are you signing up to a tesla forum to resarch this "for your friend"?

No, havent heard of that. What I HAVE heard of, is people new to driving teslas accidentally speeding up because they dont realize that they are still pushing the accelerator because regen braking slows the car down fairly aggressively.

They feel the car "not slowing down enough, but slowing down" and then push the accelerator instead of the brake. Much more likely that some strange story about pedal not working etc.

Not being a troll or fanboy but people will say whatever they can to not accept responsibility for some things, and smashing up a rental car is one thing people will lie about to try to get out of accepting responsibility for.

Also, your *friend* is the one who needs to be researching this stuff... why are you signing up to a tesla forum to resarch this "for your friend"?

Yes, I agree and as I said it is very likely they panicked and stepped on it. However I did NOT sign up for friend, I've been on these forums for some time. Since both my wife and I have a 3, I was curious to see if anyone had heard of anything close

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Yes, I agree and as I said it is very likely they panicked and stepped on it. However I did NOT sign up for friend, I've been on these forums for some time. Since both my wife and I have a 3, I was curious to see if anyone had heard of anything close

Hmm, joined June 12 2019 with 5 posts.

Only thing I can think of is he pressed on the accelerator thinking his foot was on the brakes as he initially sensed the car slowing down thinking his foot was already over the brake pedal (as @jjrandorin mentioned). Pulling logs from the car will determine exactly what happened.

Reactions: Puddles
This happens all the time in every car. It's very unlikely the brake pedal failed to work, but suddenly started working after the crash. There is no way for the car to disable the brakes.
There is absolutely a way for the car to disable the brakes, that's what ABS does...

Not that I think that's what happened. Your friend hit the accelerator instead of the brake pedal. Happens all the time in every make and model of car. Look up "unintended acceleration".

Hi all,

this apparently caused airbag deployment and here's the weird bit, they are adamant that at that point the car just started to accelerate and they couldn't stop it until it flew into another car in the street. They maintain that when the airbags deployed something obstructed the brake pedal and stepping on it did nothing.

Airbag deployment disables all high voltage components so it is impossible that the vehicle accelerated AFTER an airbag deployment unless it was rolling down a steep hill.

• Informative
Reactions: Runt8
This friend doesn't actually own a model 3, they had put their car into shop for something or other and was given it as a loaner. I though it was an unusual car to use as loaner, but could be common I don't know.
Unless your friend's car that was in for service was another Tesla why in the world would someone give him an electric car as a loaner. Or did your friend tell them that he knew how to drive one and charge it?

They drove home, and as they recount it, as was about to pull into their driveway but somehow managed to hit car parked in front (I don't know exactly how they managed that), this apparently caused airbag deployment and here's the weird bit, they are adamant that at that point the car just started to accelerate and they couldn't stop it until it flew into another car in the street. They maintain that when the airbags deployed something obstructed the brake pedal and stepping on it did nothing.
It sure sounds like they had an accident and the airbags deployed, which made them panic and press the wrong pedal. If they did, in fact, hit the brake and something obstructing it, maybe they dropped their cell phone they were talking on, or the coffee they were drinking, or there was something else loose in the car that rolled under it. While possible, the odds of that happening are probably vanishingly small and the likely explanation is that they hit the wrong pedal.

• Funny
Reactions: richyrich
Another probable case of PEBSWAS

Problem Exists Between Steering Wheel And Seat

Similar to PEBKAC term used by computer Technical Support personnel: "Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair"

This is also why I don't let anybody but my wife & I drive our Ludicrous P85D. Too much temptation + too little experience driving high speed cars = high accident probability. Worse still you'll probably be held liable for loaning them your Tesla without proper training / supervision. Hope you have a high liability coverage on your auto policy... and a $1 million "umbrella" policy too.

Last edited:
I just wanna know how the hell he got a model 3 as a loaner

There are a few parts of this story that dont make sense, and chief among them is somehow the OPs friend got a model 3 as a loaner car, when they took their car "to the shop". Unless the OPs friend has another model 3 or tesla, there is likely no shop in america that is going to give a model 3 as a loaner car.

TESLA doesnt even give model 3s as loaner cars, at least not here by me they dont. They have model S loaners (or enterprise loaners_. So we have OPs friend who put his car "in the shop" and that shop gave the OP a model 3. What shop? What brand was OPs regular car? We are all making an assumption that the OP doesnt know how to drive a tesla but based on the above, the "shop" MUST be one that has teslas right?

Something is not quite adding up here... but those are not these OPs questions. To stay on topic of OPs question, its highly unlikely that the description OPs friend gave him is accurate to what actually happened. Its possible that OPs friend is just confused... its also possible that OPs friend is trying to find a story that works for insurance.

Well right off the bat something seems a miss. If you are about to turn into your driveway you are usually going fairly slow. Airbags usually take a good amount of speed (deceleration) before they deploy. Hitting a parked car in front of your driveway hard enough to deploy airbags sounds bad. Since what happened to start this episode off seems really suspicious, I think anything after that is even more suspect that you're not getting an accurate description of what really happened from start to end.

The fact that the other car was not traveling towards the driver reduces chance of airbag deployment. It would likely have to be a direct hit as well versus say a corner or side swipe. Something just doesn't add up.

It's possible the Model 3 had a defect and prematurely deployed airbags but I believe air bag systems are fairly isolated systems and mostly not of Tesla's design. Now if Tesla's AutoPilot programmers were responsible for airbag deployment I'd say anything is possible. But I don't think that's the case.

Reactions: Dana1
Airbag deployment disables all high voltage components so it is impossible that the vehicle accelerated AFTER an airbag deployment unless it was rolling down a steep hill.

THIS. Normally a pyro fuse blows (or equivalent). This disables many cars after airbag deployment not just Teslas.

See above - that would be a particularly unusual failure if it occured the way you state. Can you post some photos?

Also, whatever obstructed the brake pedal would still be there after the accident. Did your friend get any photos of that?

Reactions: Dana1