Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Friend hates autopilot / makes us lazy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My friend hates automation and he thinks Tesla autopilot is a bad thing. Says it makes us lazy and become worse drivers because we are now relying on automation and can't fend for ourselves. He also hates auto correct and he thinks any type of automation means humans using their brains less and being dependent on it. I like autopilot and it helps a lot for long drives on freeway. And it's one of the reasons I don't mind driving far now because autopilot can help conserve my energy.

He compared the scene in Wall-E where the fat guy falls out of his automated chair and he couldn't get back in. Not because he was fat, but mainly because he was dependent on all those robots / automation around him.

Automation used correctly enhances safety; automation used incorrectly decreases safety. Sounds like your friend should stick to a bicycle.
I don't think it works like this.

Instead automation used correctly reaches a point where humans can't possibly oversee it, and decreases as automation gets better but can't match human driving.

At some point automation exceeds human driving so we no longer worry about using it correctly. You just turn it on and go to sleep.

Then automation increases safety until it realizes the human drivers are the bottleneck and proceeds to remove them from the road.

Then it will realize pedestrians are a problem too.

The real purpose of Mars isn't Elons fantasy, but Elon realizes mars might be our only escape.

At some point automation exceeds human driving so we no longer worry about using it correctly.
In aviation we have a lot of automation, but pilots are trained how to use that automation. The 737 MAX crashes is a great example in which the manufacturer enhanced automation and not only did not train pilots, but did not even bother to tell them the system existed.

The biggest danger with automation in cars is that untrained people are using these systems. We already have morons trying to bypass built in safety systems, and a lot of people ask a lot of very basic questions about TACC, AP and FSD. Tesla seems to feel drivers can figure this out on their own when far too many are clueless.

My friend hates automation and he thinks Tesla autopilot is a bad thing. Says it makes us lazy and become worse drivers because we are now relying on automation and can't fend for ourselves. He also hates auto correct and he thinks any type of automation means humans using their brains less and being dependent on it. I like autopilot and it helps a lot for long drives on freeway. And it's one of the reasons I don't mind driving far now because autopilot can help conserve my energy.

He compared the scene in Wall-E where the fat guy falls out of his automated chair and he couldn't get back in. Not because he was fat, but mainly because he was dependent on all those robots / automation around him.

We're already getting pretty close to the Wall-E situation even without automation. Technology has allowed us to save lots of energy. The whole point of tools is to make things easier to do. Coupled with the abundant amounts of food, we have an obesity problem. I don't think this is a reason to stop technological progress. But we do need to adapt with supplemental exercise to stay sharp and healthy.

Reactions: ATPMSD

You need to find new friends.

Well, it's just a rant he has, he likes to rant about stuff and this is something he believes : automation makes people lazy / useless in the long run

But he won't get mad at me for using it. Because he does ask me to drive when we hang out! Not like using me because he will make a fair deal with me like buy me food or give me arcade prizes for doing the favor. Just wanna make it clear he isn't using me and he is a good friend, just a rant he has.

Well, it's just a rant he has, he likes to rant about stuff and this is something he believes : automation makes people lazy / useless in the long run

But he won't get mad at me for using it. Because he does ask me to drive when we hang out! Not like using me because he will make a fair deal with me like buy me food or give me arcade prizes for doing the favor. Just wanna make it clear he isn't using me and he is a good friend, just a rant he has.
My friend thinks your friend is cray cray.

Its always funny to see where people draw lines.

100,000 years of tool building and automation - but the friend wants to draw a line at AP ;)
People's ability to manually operate elevators is probably near zero (I don't know anyone who can do it!) so it seems his friend could be right. Of course that's fine since no one ever has to manually operate an elevator. Maybe his friend's issue is that people still need to be able to operate cars?

People's ability to manually operate elevators is probably near zero (I don't know anyone who can do it!) so it seems his friend could be right. Of course that's fine since no one ever has to manually operate an elevator. Maybe his friend's issue is that people still need to be able to operate cars?
Its like how we say nobody can do mental math now.

People forget skills for sure - thats ok. That is how life has always been the past 10,000 years of civilization. No particular reason to draw a line at AP.

No, we won't forget how to drive cars - but next generation will not learn how to drive cars and after a couple of decades cars that can be driven manually won't be made. None of us can drive chariots, afterall.