Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Friend opening car with no cellphone or wifi covarage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm away on a trip and I have my car parked in a garage with no cellphone or wifi coverage during my trip (car is not plugged in). My trip got prolonged and I'm worried that the battery will run out.
I asked a friend to charge up the car. I granted the friend access to the car as a new driver in my Tesla app. But when my friend walks up to the car with the Tesla app open on the phone, the car asks for key card and won't open.

1)
Since the car has no connection to the internet it will not be aware of the new driver that I assigned. I thought the car should still open? Has it gone into some power saving mode?

2)
Can my friend charge it with her charger? Will the charging port open for any Tesla charger even if car is locked?

You need to be inside the car with a key card and the mobile phone to set up a phone as a Phone Key.

While sitting inside the vehicle with a key card handy, open the Tesla mobile app and touch Set Up Phone Key on the main screen, or navigate to Security > Set Up Phone Key. Follow the prompts on the mobile app and vehicle touchscreen to set up your phone key.

Using the Tesla mobile App you can remotely power on the car and unlock the doors to allow someone else to drive it without them using any key. I think they have 30 mins to get in and put it in drive.

Upvote 0
You need to be inside the car with a key card and the mobile phone to set up a phone as a Phone Key.

While sitting inside the vehicle with a key card handy, open the Tesla mobile app and touch Set Up Phone Key on the main screen, or navigate to Security > Set Up Phone Key. Follow the prompts on the mobile app and vehicle touchscreen to set up your phone key.

Using the Tesla mobile App you can remotely power on the car and unlock the doors to allow someone else to drive it without them using any key. I think they have 30 mins to get in and put it in drive.
thanks!
So, there is no way for me to solve this?
- I want my friend to access my car
- I'm thousands of miles away
- The car has no internet connection (no cellular coverage and no wifi)
- My friend does not have a key card, just a phone

Upvote 0
Good thinking, but unfortunately I don't have the key card with me on the trip...
i suggest you always travel with the key card, like a photo ID and credit card which are often needed.

Does anyone have access to your keycard who could FedEx the card? It depends on how long you are gone. At 20% the Tesla will shutdown. Is a charger within 15-20% charge of your parked Tesla?

Longterm storage of an unplugged Tesla is a somewhat complex issue with climate control, sentry, thirdparty apps, etc. There are many threads on airport parking and other longterm storage.

Basically a Tesla is fine if plugged in for that time.

Upvote 0
i suggest you always travel with the key card, like a photo ID and credit card which are often needed.

Does anyone have access to your keycard who could FedEx the card? It depends on how long you are gone. At 20% the Tesla will shutdown. Is a charger within 15-20% charge of your parked Tesla?

Longterm storage of an unplugged Tesla is a somewhat complex issue with climate control, sentry, thirdparty apps, etc. There are many threads on airport parking and other longterm storage.

Basically a Tesla is fine if plugged in for that time.
My trip ends in 5 days, so I guess I'll just hope for the best.
Car is deep down in a garage (hence no cell coverage), so no climate control and sentry turned off.
Let's see how well my 65% charge held up for 45 days....

Upvote 0
I could be wrong, but won’t the car let anyone walk up and plug in a charger? I know you need a key to unplug the charge cable but as long as it’s a native Tesla charger with the button you press to open the charge port it should just open when you press the button.

Upvote 0
I was astonished to find out that my car only lost ~11% in 50days!!!
I left it at 67% and picked it up at 56%.
MYL, 50 days in a garage deep down under ground (no WiFi, no cell coverage), sentry disabled, no climate control.
I clearly din't need to worry....
Thanks everyone!

Thanks for closing the loop on this. I was way off (in a good way). There are now at least a couple of reports of extremely low drain if the car is left for long term parking and sentry / cabin overheat protection is off, and one doesnt (or cant) reach the car via app to wake it up.

Upvote 0
On a recent trip, my car sat in an airport parking garage for 9 days and had lost 1% battery when I returned.
It seems to be Sentry Mode that significantly ( over time) will drain the battery. As yours is garaged, she should be in good shape.
Re not having the card with you, does your friend or anyone nearby have access to the house? They could find the card if you are still concerned.

Upvote 0