Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Friend ready to give up on FSD Beta Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have FSD Beta, but am asking for a friend. He has been using Safety Score (and driving like a grandma) for a few months now.
He's at 99, but Tesla doesn't seem to be adding new FSD beta drivers (our perception, no empirical evidence)
I'm not sure if that's related to the 'rolling stop recall', figuring they need to get that ironed out first (just a guess)
I got FSD beta a few days after hitting 99 back in October
He's ready to leave the program, so he can enjoy the car and revisit later on
Is anyone aware whether or not there is a pause in adding new drivers.
Is it worth hanging on?
Thanks!

Reactions: Rusty1
Given how you stated that, my assumption is your friend is the type of person they would not want in the beta program.

They open the beta, when they open the beta. It happens occasionally. One has to be patient. Otherwise, why bother trying to be a beta tester? The point is you'll drive it for many months and give them loads of data/feedback. Otherwise you're not much of a use as a beta tester to Tesla.

my assumption is your friend is the type of person they would not want in the beta program.
Not necessarily a fair assumption, I believe he is the right type of driver, but to be honest, driving under Safety Score is a lot more difficult than using FSD Beta (for example, fearing hard braking when you're doing 35 and the light turns red etc., getting cut off on the highway, etc....and no, there is not a 3 second lock out when you turn off AutoPilot, I got dinged as soon as someone cut me off and I hit the brakes overriding AP).
He's been in Safety Score for over three months and has been at 98/99 for two months.
When I got FSD, it was after being in the program for a total of around 25 days

“Tesla doesn't seem to be adding new FSD beta drivers (our perception, no empirical evidence)”

Teslafi.com does have empirical evidence. Their large user base shows what versions of software are in their cars as well as past versions that were installed. And as you surmised it has been quite a few weeks since new FSD Beta cars have been added. There are lots of active threads here with people discussing this issue in much more detail.

Given how you stated that, my assumption is your friend is the type of person they would not want in the beta program.

They open the beta, when they open the beta. It happens occasionally. One has to be patient. Otherwise, why bother trying to be a beta tester? The point is you'll drive it for many months and give them loads of data/feedback. Otherwise you're not much of a use as a beta tester to Tesla.
It’s one thing to have patience to beta test, and a whole different thing to have patience to play some dumb game without any benefit for 6 months.

It’s like hey you can come work for us for free and maybe one day we’ll start paying you. 6 months later you keep showing up to work for free and your manager doesn’t mention anything about it lol

I have FSD Beta, but am asking for a friend. He has been using Safety Score (and driving like a grandma) for a few months now.
He's at 99, but Tesla doesn't seem to be adding new FSD beta drivers (our perception, no empirical evidence)
I'm not sure if that's related to the 'rolling stop recall', figuring they need to get that ironed out first (just a guess)
I got FSD beta a few days after hitting 99 back in October
Is anyone aware whether or not there is a pause in adding new drivers.
Is it worth hanging on?
Thanks!
Same question for me. For over a month, to maintain a high safety score, I've been driving unsafe by nearly hitting animals, swerving around cars that stop too quick and entering intersections when stopping to avoid decelerating too fast since the app rates, "excessive braking" as the biggest ding against safety score.

biggest ding against safety score.
((Moderator note - works differently now in later builds) …rebooting screen before putting car in park would make the most recent trip disappear. Of course, if that trip was 99 miles of perfection, with an incident at the end, you lose the 99 miles, too.)

You could “water down” excessive braking by driving around your neighborhood, accelerating and braking repeatedly. The score looks at what percentage of braking is heavy, so if you perform a lot of good braking, your percentage score will improve.

I did both of these to improve my score before getting the beta

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the feeling. I've been at 100 for a few days; however, someone zipped in front of me just as I was turning and it triggered a "collision warning", bringing my score down to 99. It just phantomed another collision in an empty parking lot today on about 5 miles for the day, so I'm wondering if it's worth going out to level down my score for the day or stay home and go out tomorrow, minimizing the weight of today's drive. I really want to try out the beta; as far as I know, there aren't a lot of Teslas in the area so I feel the data would be helpful, and I would be throwing out the roughly 250-300 miles per week I've been driving to get into the beta.

However, as I recommend to your friend, perhaps he should set a limit on his expectations. When driving is no longer enjoyable, perhaps that's the time to bow out. It's stressful enough driving in bad traffic (OMG, the state DMVs allow *anyone* on the road), so one shouldn't have to add "will this drive knock points off my score?". One of the reasons I bought my Tesla was because it was a blast test driving one and mine was a lot of fun before pressing the button. I made excuses to go out and drive; lately, I've been dreading it. Perhaps, for me at least, it's time to bow out. Maybe your friend is feeling the same way. However, I don't think FSD is going away and when it becomes available to the entire fleet of FSD owners/subscribers, it'll be a lot more polished off.

Not sure if they corrected this bug, but rebooting screen before putting car in park would make the most recent trip disappear. Of course, if that trip was 99 miles of perfection, with an incident at the end, you lose the 99 miles, too.

You could “water down” excessive braking by driving around your neighborhood, accelerating and braking repeatedly. The score looks at what percentage of braking is heavy, so if you perform a lot of good braking, your percentage score will improve.

The reset no longer works.

Not sure if they corrected this bug, but rebooting screen before putting car in park would make the most recent trip disappear. Of course, if that trip was 99 miles of perfection, with an incident at the end, you lose the 99 miles, too.

This bug patched. Also no more resetting of entire score by opting out and back in again. Score is now permanent

I opted in for about the 10 time last week and I got a rotten 91. But here's what's different. I opted out but my safety score hasn't gone away in my app. I re-opted in again and it did NOT log the mileage or the score get updated
Correct. Gives you a window for when you are planning to go into grand theft auto mode or let someone you don't trust drive. You might miss an invite to beta if you're just trying to preserve your score while opted out, so calculate risk accordingly