Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From 340xi to Tesla dual motor Model 3 - mini comparo.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@voip-ninja thank you for the thorough reply. There's a lot to think about there. I'm wondering how many of the build or material wuality issues have been ironed out and how many still stand. Sounds like the company has a ways to go with service as well. If you could go back in time would you still make the jump?

Probably....

I'd have a WAY easier time doing it now because the cars are a lot cheaper which also means cheaper insurance, less sales tax, less registration fee, etc.

If you got a car right now it is almost guaranteed to be one produced in 2018 as there were a few weeks ago about 5,500 of them left in inventory.

I would get the latest production car you could and if you drive out of the lot and hear rattles, etc., I would turn it right back around and make them fix it when you are there picking it up. They will not let you drive the car before signing for delivery.

I have a bit of a bad taste in my mouth from Tesla's BS.

Example...

Customers who passed on EAP and ordered nothing with their car can now add what Tesla is now calling FSD for $5,000 including future hardware upgrade to AP3.

Customers like me who foolishly gave Tesla $5,000 for EAP and used it a handful of times get nothing but an offer to upgrade to FSD for $2,000.

So, I get treated worse than a customer who passed on the feature originally. Tesla didn't have to give me anything, but they didn't have to be so desperate for cash that they will give a customer who turned their nose up at Autopilot a couple of months ago a better deal with more features than a customer who paid more for their car than they are now selling it for.

SHABBY.

It's this kind of abusive behavior that brings into question whether I will own another Tesla automobile, regardless of how well it drives.

Last edited:
While ninja makes a lot of good points, I feel he has an axe to grind regarding the price drop, which perhaps clouds his overall views. People forget the fact that Tesla cars suddenly shot up by $3500 overnight in Jan, due to loss of tax credit, and another price increase of $1750 coming in 4 weeks. They had to react by dropping the price and they did.

For another datapoint, I have no rattles, squeaks, have never been to the service center in 10 months and 14k miles.

Reactions: destructure00
While ninja makes a lot of good points, I feel he has an axe to grind regarding the price drop, which perhaps clouds his overall views.
And with good reason.
People forget the fact that Tesla cars suddenly shot up by $3500 overnight in Jan, due to loss of tax credit
Actually they did not, because on Jan 2 Tesla promptly lowered the prices which offset much of the reduced tax credit. Today the cars are much less expensive than in 2018 even taking the lower tax credit into account. And on top of that Tesla seems to hand out freebies and heavy discounts to everyone except those who were stupid enough to buy their expensive early adopter cars and autopilot packages.
For another datapoint, I have no rattles, squeaks, have never been to the service center in 10 months and 14k miles.
I have an intermittent rattle in the passenger door which the mobile technician was not able to silence. My experiences with Tesla's service are similar to @voip-ninja's. Luckily I didn't have too many issues, but I fear the day that something major breaks or I get into a fender bender.

The car drives very well, but Tesla has a lot to learn about customer service.

Last edited:
Scheduled for a test drive this Friday. I currently own a 2018 S4. To all here... any thoughts? Advice? Criticisms?

Thoughts? I think you will love it. The Model 3 drives better than anything else out there in the sedan segment, and I've driven quite a lot of what's out there.

Advice? Try to buy one that you can drive first. This was not an option for me. I would find one you can drive first and make sure the car is buttoned up solid with no squeaks, rattles or groans as, in my experience, Tesla will really really struggle to fix this stuff satisfactorily. Try to find a rough road to drive it on.

Criticisms? None. Anyone who is a fan of sports sedans should drive the Model 3 and strongly consider as their next vehicle purchase.

Reactions: mtndrew1
Scheduled for a test drive this Friday. I currently own a 2018 S4. To all here... any thoughts? Advice? Criticisms?

Before I bought my Model 3 the 2018 S4 was at the top of my list. I was just waiting for the right car with the right options at the right price to show up at one of the local dealerships. I test drove the Tesla while I was waiting and that was the end of my Audi strategy...

Before I bought my Model 3 the 2018 S4 was at the top of my list. I was just waiting for the right car with the right options at the right price to show up at one of the local dealerships. I test drove the Tesla while I was waiting and that was the end of my Audi strategy...
I waited for a long while looked for the Audi equipped the way I wanted it. Never considered Tesla. My prior car was (still have it)a 2016 GTI. While I enjoy the S4, it simply does not have the same driving dynamic(s) as the GTI and I miss that. Thanks for sharing!

Show me a Model 3 owner with no quality issues (especially rattles) and I'll show you someone with high tolerance and low expectations!
Could quality on the Model 3 be better? Yes, but I would say it's mediocre, not bad. Of course, in the luxury market, that kind of puts it in the lower range of options. That said, I've only had one small rattle in the center console that the service center repaired, in the 6,133 miles I've had it so far. I actually haven't had to take my Tesla in for as many teething problems as any of the three new BMWs I've bought, or the one new Mercedes that I bought.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Could quality on the Model 3 be better? Yes, but I would say it's mediocre, not bad. Of course, in the luxury market, that kind of puts it in the lower range of options. That said, I've only had one small rattle in the center console that the service center repaired, in the 6,133 miles I've had it so far. I actually haven't had to take my Tesla in for as many teething problems as any of the three new BMWs I've bought, or the one new Mercedes that I bought.

Right. Now check out this shot of the new VW I just got for a bit under half the money I paid for the Model 3. Them idiots even painted the underside!!!

6FD96F96-2930-4DE4-976C-6EB289ED2C20.jpeg

As soon as they make a Model 3 that looks like that, drives like that and is that quiet (despite having a combustion engine), I’ll buy again!

I really don't get this perception that Teslas are of anything but dreadful quality. I get that they have some very likable and, in a few cases, outright intoxicating traits. Quality is however not one of them. It’s something that we choose to ignore, unless we really don’t know better.

• Disagree
Right. Now check out this shot of the new VW I just got for a bit under half the money I paid for the Model 3. Them idiots even painted the underside!!!

View attachment 412057

As soon as they make a Model 3 that looks like that, drives like that and is that quiet (despite having a combustion engine), I’ll buy again!

yeah I'm dying to buy your VW now.

• Love
Reactions: Runt8

View attachment 412057

I really don't get this perception that Teslas are of anything but dreadful quality. I get that they have some very likable and, in a few cases, outright intoxicating traits. Quality is however not one of them. It’s something that we choose to ignore, unless we really don’t know better.
I’m confused, is that picture supposed to be an improvement over the underside of the hood on a Model 3?

View attachment 412057

Umm, the underside of my Tesla's hood is painted. Did they really not paint yours?

For looks, I'll take any Tesla over any VW in a heartbeat. Not that VWs look bad, but none of them look particularly good; they're appliances. Whether you like them or not, at least Teslas have a distinctive style. No VW comes close to the way a Model 3 dual motor drives; the Tesla totally kicks butt in that regard. As for quiet, my Tesla is quieter than any VW I've been in at city speeds and comparable on the highway.

My Tesla has not had "dreadful quality". Overall, I'd say the quality is comparable to, or better than, most new cars that I've bought in the last 20 years. Tesla generally uses high quality parts in their cars unlike some other cars out there. The problem has been that the quality of assembly has been rather uneven. I know that some people have had many issues with their cars, but for others, such as myself, the issues have been minimal. Still, this unevenness of construction quality is something Tesla needs to continue working on.

View attachment 412057

Obviously different people have different priorities. If you’re fine with the comparatively lame driving experience of a VW because fit and finish means that much to you, the VW is for you. As far as drivetrain reliability though, I seriously doubt the VW is nearly as reliable as Tesla. Too many mechanical parts and fluids. For me, there is no way I would ever trade my 3 for any ICE. It’s just that much fun to drive.