Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From a 2018 M3 to a 2021 MY / 400 mile road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I picked up my 2021 MY. My 2018 M3 needed new tires and windshield wiper blades, so I decided to trade it in. I put 30K miles on the Dual Motor Long Range M3. It had FSD. I had the sales staff here in Jacksonville search inventory for available cars and it was available in Atlanta. Keith did a great job for me. (There is a great team here in Jacksonville) The total wait time was 4 days.

The MY is black with a white interior. It has the 20-inch black induction wheels. I was surprised to see Goodyear tires on it, but they ride great and are incredibly quiet.

My impression of the staff at the Decatur, Ga store is that they are very professional. Gerrard was one of the best I have had the privilege to work with. I was welcomed and the paperwork for the delivery was ready. I got there early in the morning before they opened and found my vehicle on the lot. I did an inspection outside and left. (I know how to inspect a vehicle it is my job) No problems with the car. I came back a little early for my appointment and was greeted and they were ready. (I wanted to get on the road back to Jacksonville.)

I had a few minutes to wait for my car as they were detailing it. I watched a customer spend 45 minutes inspecting his car. It was funny. He had a checklist and kept the staff busy nitpicking the car. I had looked at it earlier and there was not anything wrong with it. Some of the items he pointed out were at the point of being ridiculous. That staff has the patience of Job. I am sure he was there a lot longer after I left. (Yes, there are a few issues with quality control.) My MY is a 2021 and I did not find anything to complain about. If there is an issue in the future, we have a great service center here in Jacksonville.

My first impression, as I drove out of the lot, this is smooth. That is the best way to describe it. I drove the M3 for 30k miles and there is no comparison. This car is smooth! It is quiet. I really have a problem knowing my speed. I must check and make sure I am not speeding. It is that smooth and quiet. I started noticing a lot of details that have been improved. The seat belts, the steering wheel, etc. The seat is awesome. It is wonderfully comfortable and supportive. It is one of the best seats I have seen in any car.

Acceleration is comparable to the M3. I found the handling a little better than the M3. I did not get the double pane glass in the doors. I do not think I will miss it. This car is super quiet.

I had FSD in the M3. I traded it in for this one. Tesla was very fair on the trade-in. I was concerned that I might miss it on the MY. I will get it in the future. Autopilot with autosteer on the freeway works fine. When I wanted to change lanes, I turned on the blinker and it dropped out of autosteer and I moved over. Then I re-engaged the autosteer.

I have noticed that my power usage seems to be better than the M3. I drove the entire trip, on the freeway, at 80. If I did that with the M3 I would start to get nervous watching the charge percentage drop fast. I got used to driving the M3 around 75. When I left a charging station with the MY and it said I would have X% at the next station that is what I had. And I drove 80. I could have skipped one of my stops.

Is it a perfect car? No. It is one of the best I have seen in my career. I love it. I will have to wear these tires out and trade for the next generation. This is fun! And just to let you know. I am a buyer for a car dealer. I see dozens of cars of all makes and models every month. I know the good, the bad, and the ugly about most cars. Tesla is a car company that is less than 20 years old and they are producing fantastic cars. The MY is my favorite.

Any regrets after a month? I'm toying with trading my M3 Performance and Golf in for a MY Performance (I want one EV that can do everything year around and the M3 just cannot transport stuff as well as the Golf - try to get a boxed printer into an M3 if you don't believe me). Actually I won't be trading them in against the Tesla since I believe their offers in Canada are pretty low. There's another, non-EV, non-practical vehicle that will be joining the MY but that's another story for another forum.

Anyway, have you wished you kept the M3 for any reason at all, however seemingly trivial?

Any regrets after a month? I'm toying with trading my M3 Performance and Golf in for a MY Performance (I want one EV that can do everything year around and the M3 just cannot transport stuff as well as the Golf - try to get a boxed printer into an M3 if you don't believe me). Actually I won't be trading them in against the Tesla since I believe their offers in Canada are pretty low. There's another, non-EV, non-practical vehicle that will be joining the MY but that's another story for another forum.

Anyway, have you wished you kept the M3 for any reason at all, however seemingly trivial?
I'm not the OP, but I sold off my 2018 LR RWD M3 shortly after getting a LR AWD Y.

Not once have I regretted it. Similar to what was mentioned above, everything in the Y is just a little bit better in feel, operation, and function. I reboot way less often, the back seats have tons of room, storage in the back is huge, the visibility is WAY better (despite having a smaller rear view), and I can't tell any difference in acceleration. I miss nothing from the days of owning a M3. I also think the Y looks worlds better than the 3.

Reactions: RobRain