Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From a Dinosaur to a Spaceship with Plaid drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Delivery Quality Check:
  • Paint: this was my main concern after reading all those crazy stories of new paint issues, so this was my hard line to reject the car if it needed any paint. Luckily I could not find any issues, I did spend like 30 minutes under Florida sun inspecting the car where I reached the point if I could not find or see anything then I do not care. my PPF guy later confirmed there are a few minor swirl marks and imperfections but nothing crazy and they can be paint corrected before he does the PPF. Also with the paint meter, the numbers were consistent between 90 and 145 across all the surfaces. the hood and rocker panels were the highest for sure as they had to deal with rock chips the most.
  • Interior: I was very impressed with the cabin interior, I love the simplicity, and the fit and finish matched my OCD, I was concerned about the window trim, leather wrinkles, and mainly the alignment between the dash and the door panel. all looked perfect and I was happy.
  • Exterior Trim: Now the bad part, Tesla for Sh**t still can't do Frunks after 10 years!! the weather trim from the frunk on the left side is raised above the body line compared to the right side, also there is more gap on the left side between the frunk and headlight (nothing crazy, but you can feel it if you run your finger). I called a friend who is an ex-Tesla Tech and he laughed as he said damn they still do that!!! he said usually it is fixable as long as there is no damage to the hinges or headlight assembly bracket, I did check the hinges and saw no damage. For the headlight assembly, since this is a new car not a repair after a collision, I assumed the bracket should be fine. otherwise, the rest of the car looked good (for sure gaps are slightly bigger than normal cars) but everything looked aligned and symmetric between left and right.
So I noted the issues above to the SA and accepted the car (appointment to fix them is set in 2 weeks) but seriously every other car company does a full retool of the assembly line for each new model every 5-6 years where they have new Jiggs, new panels new car ..etc and somehow only Tesla still struggles with panel gaps on a car that did not change a lot for the last 10 years.

Notes from Delivery that I had concerns about before I went through this experience:
  • Ignore Tesla's requests to pay your balance before delivery. Just make sure you have all other tasks ready. Call you SC and ask them what type of checks they accept. I did a cashier check (just right your RN number in the memo)
  • Ask them and demand they open the car for inspection, it is your right and if the SC said no, request to get a manager.
  • In FL registration is done on the spot: if you need new plate they will give you the reg paper and temp plate and you should get the real ones from the DMV in 3 weeks, and if you are moving a license plate to this car, they will process your old plate for the next year (just call in advance and let them know what you want so they add it to the system).
  • I did not have any trade in as my old car was sold privately before delivery date. but I saw couple doing a trade and their car had to be inspected for 30 minutes as they were waiting for the Tech to come back with the Ok letter so plan for that.

Car Impressions for the last 3 days:
  • I am happy with the yoke ergonomics, I agree it will get even better if Tesla does the dynamic turn ratio where it drops to 1 from 2.2 at slow speed.
  • On the other hand, I do not like the blinkers location (I wish if they did add them to the left and right sides of the yoke), also the horn should be close to your right thumb but I guess since Elon confirmed that that center horn will be activated via software, this won't be an issue.
  • Now what I hate is the scroll left and right buttons. Maybe it is my fingers but I cannot for the love of God do 10 clicks to change track next or back without hitting the center click in 5 of them which causes the music to pause!! this will be a nightmare when they activate it on the right scroll to change the follow distance as I am sure if I did not figure it it out I will end up stopping the AP.
  • The cabin is so quiet, maybe still brand new car with fresh seals.
  • I noticed minimum rattle when the road is really bad similar to my other cars so no issue, I did hear slighting on a few occasions or really rough road the sound that was reported by others from the rear driver side C pillar above the rear seat. again maybe still a new car and it will get worse over time:)
  • The range sucks, yeah the 345 is a mythical number and I am training my brain to assume always 70% range of what I read.
  • I am still somehow running an old version 2021.43.201, the car shows it is the latest software but I guess Tesla is holding back updates on new cars so the owner can get used to the car.
  • I live the one pedal driving!!!!
  • The care always on is feaky as the car never off and it always kicks the fan every now and then which make your feel something is worng :)
Thanks everyone for your help answering my questions for the last 3 weeks before delievery. I will post more pics when I get the car back from PPF an dadd the CF items that I ordered.

Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 10.09.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 10.09.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 10.10.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 10.02.53 AM.png

Last edited:
Delivery Quality Check:
  • Paint: this was my main concern after reading all those crazy stories of new paint issues, so this was my hard line to reject the car if it needed any paint. Luckily I could not find any issues, I did spend like 30 minutes under Florida sun inspecting the car where I reached the point if I could not find or see anything then I do not care. my PPF guy later confirmed there are a few minor swirl marks and imperfections but nothing crazy and they can be paint corrected before he does the PPF. Also with the paint meter, the numbers were consistent between 90 and 145 across all the surfaces. the hood and rocker panels were the highest for sure as they had to deal with rock chips the most.
  • Interior: I was very impressed with the cabin interior, I love the simplicity, and the fit and finish matched my OCD, I was concerned about the window trim, leather wrinkles, and mainly the alignment between the dash and the door panel. all looked perfect and I was happy.
  • Exterior Trim: Now the bad part, Tesla for Sh**t still can't do Frunks after 10 years!! the weather trim from the frunk on the left side is raised above the body line compared to the right side, also there is more gap on the left side between the frunk and headlight (nothing crazy, but you can feel it if you run your finger). I called a friend who is an ex-Tesla Tech and he laughed as he said damn they still do that!!! he said usually it is fixable as long as there is no damage to the hinges or headlight assembly bracket, I did check the hinges and saw no damage. For the headlight assembly, since this is a new car not a repair after a collision, I assumed the bracket should be fine. otherwise, the rest of the car looked good (for sure gaps are slightly bigger than normal cars) but everything looked aligned and symmetric between left and right.
So I noted the issues above to the SA and accepted the car (appointment to fix them is set in 2 weeks) but seriously every other car company does a full retool of the assembly line for each new model every 5-6 years where they have new Jiggs, new panels new car ..etc and somehow only Tesla still struggles with panel gaps on a car that did not change a lot for the last 10 years.

Notes from Delivery that I had concerns about before I went through this experience:
  • Ignore Tesla's requests to pay your balance before delivery. Just make sure you have all other tasks ready. Call you SC and ask them what type of checks they accept. I did a cashier check (just right your RN number in the memo)
  • Ask them and demand they open the car for inspection, it is your right and if the SC said no, request to get a manager.
  • In FL registration is done on the spot: if you need new plate they will give you the reg paper and temp plate and you should get the real ones from the DMV in 3 weeks, and if you are moving a license plate to this car, they will process your old plate for the next year (just call in advance and let them know what you want so they add it to the system).
  • I did not have any trade in as my old car was sold privately before delivery date. but I saw couple doing a trade and their car had to be inspected for 30 minutes as they were waiting for the Tech to come back with the Ok letter so plan for that.

Car Impressions for the last 3 days:
  • I am happy with the yoke ergonomics, I agree it will get even better if Tesla does the dynamic turn ratio where it drops to 1 from 2.2 at slow speed.
  • On the other hand, I do not like the blinkers location (I wish if they did add them to the left and right sides of the yoke), also the horn should be close to your right thumb but I guess since Elon confirmed that that center horn will be activated via software, this won't be an issue.
  • Now what I hate is the scroll left and right buttons. Maybe it is my fingers but I cannot for the love of God do 10 clicks to change track next or back without hitting the center click in 5 of them which causes the music to pause!! this will be a nightmare when they activate it on the right scroll to change the follow distance as I am sure if I did not figure it it out I will end up stopping the AP.
  • The cabin is so quiet, maybe still brand new car with fresh seals.
  • I noticed minimum rattle when the road is really bad similar to my other cars so no issue, I did hear slighting on a few occasions or really rough road the sound that was reported by others from the rear driver side C pillar above the rear seat. again maybe still a new car and it will get worse over time:)
  • The range sucks, yeah the 345 is a mythical number and I am training my brain to assume always 70% range of what I read.
  • I am still somehow running an old version 2021.43.201, the car shows it is the latest software but I guess Tesla is holding back updates on new cars so the owner can get used to the car.
  • I live the one pedal driving!!!!
  • The care always on is feaky as the car never off and it always kicks the fan every now and then which make your feel something is worng :)
Thanks everyone for your help answering my questions for the last 3 weeks before delievery. I will post more pics when I get the car back from PPF an dadd the CF items that I ordered.

View attachment 778333

View attachment 778335

View attachment 778334
View attachment 778332
Great introduction!

What carbon fiber parts did you order? You have me thinking!
I always do CF for my sports cars and didn’t even give it a thought for the Plaid ….

Did you like your Cadillac? Who is doing your PPF? Drive your new Tesla in good health!
I liked the V for sure. very different, mean looking and a head turner for sure. Warranty was almost over and did not want to trust GM without wrranty based on what they did in the last 4 years to the car so she had to go, plus the price was super great almost broke even after 4 years !!!

I am doing PPF with Supreme Wraps FL, I had couple of quotes in the area and they seemed reasonable plus they do XPEL which what I want. I was debating to drive the car to my guy in south Florida but did not want to risk it on the turnpike.

Great introduction!

What carbon fiber parts did you order? You have me thinking!
I always do CF for my sports cars and didn’t even give it a thought for the Plaid ….
I ordered: Mirror caps, camera caps and seat back covers. all matte to match the OEM.

I did not get them yet, I will post review when I install them in few weeks.

I LITERALLY had reserved same color/style/year Cadillac a couple years back at Carmax a state away from me. (was selling my 2006 E55 AMG at the time) Found out that Carmax policy is that if someone locally wants to buy it, then that trumps your reservation. So it sold.

A day later, friend mentioned Model S. Ended up getting my first Tesla (2017 90D that was a demo with 4k miles on it) and since then? On third tesla purchase and never going back to gas.

on a sepaate note, Paint correction before PPF is not necessary.

Reactions: Ash83
I LITERALLY had reserved same color/style/year Cadillac a couple years back at Carmax a state away from me. (was selling my 2006 E55 AMG at the time) Found out that Carmax policy is that if someone locally wants to buy it, then that trumps your reservation. So it sold.

A day later, friend mentioned Model S. Ended up getting my first Tesla (2017 90D that was a demo with 4k miles on it) and since then? On third tesla purchase and never going back to gas.

on a sepaate note, Paint correction before PPF is not necessary.

The glacier on that car was EPIC, everyone looked at her.

Yeah I am aware of that, it is just light PC to remove swirls and other imperfections, I have done it couple of times before and the results always looked good so why not for a few $$ more.