Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From a Merc C Class to a 3 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove a CLA 250 for a few months, and rented a Model 3 for one day on Turo. Not quite the depth of experience you are looking for, but hopefully this helps.

They felt similar to me, especially since the PRNDL for both of them is on the right stalk. That felt pretty luxurious for whatever reason.

Model 3 had similar ride quality, better performance, and better interior in my opinion.

The CLA interior seemed pretty cheap to me, and the performance was lackluster compared to my Subaru WRX. I did like the steering feel of the CLA, tight but numb, similar to the Model 3. CLA and Model 3 suspension and ride quality felt very similar while cruising, but I would give the nod to the Model 3.

Model 3 performance was great. It didn't feel crazy, very controlled luxurious speed. As nice as my WRX, but in a very different way. CLA was a lurching struggle. The front wheel drive torque steer on the CLA was noticing and annoying.

I really liked the center display in the model 3, and the resulting open cabin. Felt very high end and was super smooth. Like I mentioned before, CLA interior felt cheap to me by comparison, especially the center console knobs and UI.

CLA I would be willing to pickup for 15-20k. I much prefer my Subaru over it.

Model 3, well I have an order in optioned to 55,000 and am selling the Subaru :)

EDIT: Forgot to add, CLA was optioned to bare minimum, totally base. Model 3 obviously had the Premium Upgrade package.

I had a C300 before switching to the 3. (I also had a CLA loaner for three weeks and you can't compare the CLA to the C or 3).

My C was fully loaded with the AMG Sports package and 19" wheels.

The C is a much firmer ride than than the 3, although this could be due to having 18" wheels on the 3 and run flats/19" on the C (in 3 years, I cracked two wheels on the MB on potholes so no longer desire ultra low profile tires). The C was jarring over bumps and uneven terrains yet the 3 feels just as confident around corners with the exception of the lower quality tires on the 3. Performance of the 3 blows the C out of the water.

The interior of the C is much more luxurious than the 3 and thought I would miss it switching to the 3 but I don't. You quickly get used to the spartan interior and become to appreciate it quickly. Now getting into other cars, everything feels so busy. The one thing I miss is the vented A/C seats but if you turn on the conditioning early on the 3, the seats will be nice and cool when you get in.

I really like the smaller steering wheel on the 3. It just feels right and is the perfect size for the car. I don't miss the trips to the gas station nor those monthly charges for MBrace and XM radio.

The C is a much firmer ride than than the 3, although this could be due to having 18" wheels on the 3 and run flats/19" on the C
Definitely the run flats.
I have a C and an E class without run flats and they are both extremely good at delivering the classic floaty "bad roads don`t exist"-Merc feel. This comes at the cost of a bit of body roll in some tighter corners.

Nevertheless I much prefer comfort suspension over any kind of sporty stiff suspension.

@Topic
As I´ve only had a few minutes with a Model 3 on my short SF visit so far I can only report on that.
The (german) C interior is much more luxurious and materials look/feel higher class than in the 3.
Business as usual when coming from a german premium car to anything US middle class I´d say. I especially disliked the plasticy steering wheel in the Tesla.
Not sure how long it`d take me to get used to the spartan interior of the 3 as I´ve always been an absolute sucker for comfy luxury interiors. On the other hand I didn`t get to actually drive the 3. Might very well be that I´d forget the perceived quality differences over the electric powertrain.

I´m also not sure if the american C class is the same as the german one. I´ve been in a 5 series in the us that honestly looked like a barebone 3 series on the inside so there might be some quality differences between the markets for Merc also.

Last edited:
sorry but If that`s premium in the US, then I seriously don`t want to see what "budget" is.
I don't know what type of cars you normally drive but the steering wheel in the Model 3 is definitely not plastic feeling and is much better than what's on a budget vehicle like a Camry or Accord. I personally prefer it to the wood trim steering wheels in fancier cars I've driven. It may not be top of the line when it comes to materials but functionally, I really enjoy it.

My C-class is getting traded in for the Model 3 this weekend. I liked the body size, chassis (it has a sport package with AMG body kit, suspension, wheels, and so on) when I bought it. However long-term, the engine and transmission have been terrible disappointments. I've never come to terms with how the transmission shifts in daily driving, and both it and the engine have required very expensive repairs. Frankly, I'm done with ICE cars. No plug-in, no sale.

My C-class is getting traded in for the Model 3 this weekend. I liked the body size, chassis (it has a sport package with AMG body kit, suspension, wheels, and so on) when I bought it. However long-term, the engine and transmission have been terrible disappointments. I've never come to terms with how the transmission shifts in daily driving, and both it and the engine have required very expensive repairs. Frankly, I'm done with ICE cars. No plug-in, no sale.

^^^
This is right on. We sold our 2007 C230 S for the 3. The interior in the C was nicer from a finish and traditional car standpoint. Obviously, the 3 is radially different approach, so it takes some getting used to. At best, the interior in the 3 is a tie. The 7-speed transmission in the C was just strange. Don't know if this was ever improved on, but I test drove a C300 in 2016 and it felt the same. Shifting is smooth, but ill-timed and kills acceleration. The 3 blows the C off the street performance-wise. The best aspect of the C was the handling. Great turn radius and nice ratio and feel. The 3 is tight too, however, and I can't really give the C much of an edge here. Now I've only had the 3 for 4 months, so this is a bit lopsided. That said, I can hardly imagine any car going through brakes and tires faster than the C sport. It looked great, frankly, but that low profile and wide tires burned through money like it was its job. I also cracked a rim on our terrible SF roads. I have 0 regrets and would never go back to a C class vehicle.

Reactions: suwaneedad and wws
Definitely the run flats.
I have a C and an E class without run flats and they are both extremely good at delivering the classic floaty "bad roads don`t exist"-Merc feel. This comes at the cost of a bit of body roll in some tighter corners.

Which C do you have? Don't know if they are the same in Europe as in the U.S.

I had a base C300 as a loaner with their "Extended Mobility" tires (a/k/a run flats). The base C was much more floaty than mine with a ton of body roll. It also had the MB-tex seats - in theory it is the same (similar) material as the seats for the 3 but the 3 seats feel much better (although not as nice as the real leather MB seats).

Which C do you have? Don't know if they are the same in Europe as in the U.S.

I had a base C300 as a loaner with their "Extended Mobility" tires (a/k/a run flats). The base C was much more floaty than mine with a ton of body roll. It also had the MB-tex seats - in theory it is the same (similar) material as the seats for the 3 but the 3 seats feel much better (although not as nice as the real leather MB seats).
c300 avantgarde-line without any AMG/sport whatever packages or something and without run flats. Run flats are crap on any car, they completely kill the ride comfort.

The steering wheel in the Model 3 is much better than the S. It's a good size and feels much more premium.

I don't agree, although admittedly my time in the 3 has been limited. The size might be better to some, but I think the S shape and materials are better. So much so I was thinking about swapping the wheel out of my 3 when it comes.

Traded our 2013 C350 to Carvana last week in prep for picking up the Model 3 next week. Our Merc was super reliable, comfortable and a great premium sports sedan, IMO. After 5+ years, I never tired of hearing that *thunk* when you closed a Mercedes door, it was like a bank vault. Hoping that is the only thing we miss on the Merc and that the Model 3 will exceed it in every other aspect. No more gas stations, no more premium gas, no more worrying about potential expensive out of warranty repairs, expensive oil changes etc. Totally psyched about our first Tesla. If only they could make the doors sound like the Merc.

Reactions: suwaneedad
I don't agree, although admittedly my time in the 3 has been limited. The size might be better to some, but I think the S shape and materials are better. So much so I was thinking about swapping the wheel out of my 3 when it comes.
I guess it all comes down to personal preference. I had the P85D as a loaner for a while and I did not like the steering wheel at all. It felt really stiff and rubbery. The one on the Model 3 feels more like soft leather.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I definitely would not describe the 3 wheel as more premium than the S....both model 3'sI have been in the stitching at 6pm on the wheel has an almost frayed appearance, despite being nearly new cars.

I really think Tesla should have spent a few extra dollars on one of the only things you touch repeatedly in the car, especially since they saved so much on switchgear.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Traded our 2013 C350 to Carvana last week in prep for picking up the Model 3 next week. Our Merc was super reliable, comfortable and a great premium sports sedan, IMO. After 5+ years, I never tired of hearing that *thunk* when you closed a Mercedes door, it was like a bank vault. Hoping that is the only thing we miss on the Merc and that the Model 3 will exceed it in every other aspect. No more gas stations, no more premium gas, no more worrying about potential expensive out of warranty repairs, expensive oil changes etc. Totally psyched about our first Tesla. If only they could make the doors sound like the Merc.
I am surprised the C class has that thunk. I’ve had a 2005 C class before and it was no thunk. Our old 2010 E class didn’t have it either. We also still have a new E class and I don’t really feel the thunk either. Granted we had a 95 E class and. 190E back then and that’s what I’d call thunk. I guess everything is relative.

The steering wheel on the Model 3 has been a common complaint among owners compared to the Model S... :cool:

Looks almost exactly the same to me, except the Model S has a bunch of extra buttons. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

What do you base the "common" complaint on? It's a Tesla so people complain about everything. The amount of complaint about the steering wheel is almost non existent. Again I'm just saying I prefer the feel of the steering wheel more. Not that it's better material.

Last edited:
The current C class is light years ahead of the 3 in terms of the interior quality. Mercedes did hit a rough patch for a while, but right now, the current and new stuff is top of the class.

I wouldn't knock the Accord/Camry either. They're not luxury, but Honda and Toyota know where to put money and where they can skimp.

The 3 can barely be considered luxury, but only because it has soft touch everywhere. A lot of regular class cars do soft touch at the common touch points as well though.

The steering wheel is kind of sad compared to the competition from MB/BMW/Audi. Innovative, but bland and cheap feeling. At least mix up the colors a little to get some design going. That's why I think wrapping part of the steering wheel isn't a bad idea. And the large swaths of piano black on the center console was a horrendous choice. You can't have that fragile of a material in a place that's gonna get a lot of wear. Up higher, maybe. Not where the cupholders are, where they want you to put the key card, where your phone is, etc.

I don't mind the concept. I like the clean look. It was just executed really poorly in the Model 3.