Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From a Merc C Class to a 3 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And the large swaths of piano black on the center console was a horrendous choice. You can't have that fragile of a material in a place that's gonna get a lot of wear. Up higher, maybe. Not where the cupholders are, where they want you to put the key card, where your phone is, etc.

The piano black is a problem. I wrapped mine the first night I had it and don't know anyone who hasn't wrapped theirs.

I'm trading in my 2017 AMG C63S for a performance Model 3.

I am yet to sit in the 3, but it is gonna be tough to beat the interior of the Merc. It is very nice. I am not a fan of the "infotainment" system on the merc though. My wife drives a MX and that system is head and shoulders above what mercedes is doing. I expect similar from the Model 3.

In terms of ride, the c63S tends to be a bit of a rough riding vehicle (even in "comfort mode")....even hitting the lights that divide lanes on the road can cause quite the sound in the car. I do realize it is a performance vehicle, but that one as always been a bit of a turn off for me. I had a hellcat and an audi RS5 before the merc and they weren't quite as rough with small things on the road.

Performance will be a no brainer. the P version of the 3 will smoke the Merc day and night. AWD and instant torque make that an unfair race. The C63S burns a lot of rubber off the line...i can't imagine the tesla will.

The one thing i will miss from my C63s is the prrrrrr of her exhaust. Can't beat a throaty AMG exhaust system....but I feel like that's the ONLY thing i'll miss..

I'll try to give more insight if i get to test drive a P.

The current C class is light years ahead of the 3 in terms of the interior quality. Mercedes did hit a rough patch for a while, but right now, the current and new stuff is top of the class.

I wouldn't knock the Accord/Camry either. They're not luxury, but Honda and Toyota know where to put money and where they can skimp.

The 3 can barely be considered luxury, but only because it has soft touch everywhere. A lot of regular class cars do soft touch at the common touch points as well though.

The steering wheel is kind of sad compared to the competition from MB/BMW/Audi. Innovative, but bland and cheap feeling. At least mix up the colors a little to get some design going. That's why I think wrapping part of the steering wheel isn't a bad idea. And the large swaths of piano black on the center console was a horrendous choice. You can't have that fragile of a material in a place that's gonna get a lot of wear. Up higher, maybe. Not where the cupholders are, where they want you to put the key card, where your phone is, etc.

I don't mind the concept. I like the clean look. It was just executed really poorly in the Model 3.
I'm not knocking the Accord/Camry, they are solid cars for their price points and I've own both. But just comparing the steering wheel, the one in the Model 3 feels a lot better. Again it's going to come down to personal preference.

I personally love the interior look of the Model 3. It's basic and clean. The one for the C class looks super cluttered. Why are there so many buttons on the steering wheel?

tesla-model-3-interior-01-480x320.jpg
merc_c-class_2018_51.jpg

• Love
Reactions: lukex4 and kbM3
I'm trading in my 2017 AMG C63S for a performance Model 3.

I am yet to sit in the 3, but it is gonna be tough to beat the interior of the Merc. It is very nice. I am not a fan of the "infotainment" system on the merc though. My wife drives a MX and that system is head and shoulders above what mercedes is doing. I expect similar from the Model 3.

In terms of ride, the c63S tends to be a bit of a rough riding vehicle (even in "comfort mode")....even hitting the lights that divide lanes on the road can cause quite the sound in the car. I do realize it is a performance vehicle, but that one as always been a bit of a turn off for me. I had a hellcat and an audi RS5 before the merc and they weren't quite as rough with small things on the road.

Performance will be a no brainer. the P version of the 3 will smoke the Merc day and night. AWD and instant torque make that an unfair race. The C63S burns a lot of rubber off the line...i can't imagine the tesla will.

The one thing i will miss from my C63s is the prrrrrr of her exhaust. Can't beat a throaty AMG exhaust system....but I feel like that's the ONLY thing i'll miss..

I'll try to give more insight if i get to test drive a P.

Wait, seriously? C63 to P3D? o_O

The current C class is light years ahead of the 3 in terms of the interior quality. Mercedes did hit a rough patch for a while, but right now, the current and new stuff is top of the class.

I wouldn't knock the Accord/Camry either. They're not luxury, but Honda and Toyota know where to put money and where they can skimp.

The 3 can barely be considered luxury, but only because it has soft touch everywhere. A lot of regular class cars do soft touch at the common touch points as well though.

The steering wheel is kind of sad compared to the competition from MB/BMW/Audi. Innovative, but bland and cheap feeling. At least mix up the colors a little to get some design going. That's why I think wrapping part of the steering wheel isn't a bad idea. And the large swaths of piano black on the center console was a horrendous choice. You can't have that fragile of a material in a place that's gonna get a lot of wear. Up higher, maybe. Not where the cupholders are, where they want you to put the key card, where your phone is, etc.

I don't mind the concept. I like the clean look. It was just executed really poorly in the Model 3.

I love the Model 3 interior more, the more I see it.

Hard to like any other, unless one has a button/small screen fetish?

Reactions: PJFW8
I'm not knocking the Accord/Camry, they are solid cars for their price points and I've own both. But just comparing the steering wheel, the one in the Model 3 feels a lot better. Again it's going to come down to personal preference.

I personally love the interior look of the Model 3. It's basic and clean. The one for the C class looks super cluttered. Why are there so many buttons on the steering wheel?

tesla-model-3-interior-01-480x320.jpg
merc_c-class_2018_51.jpg

That is actually the E-Class interior (the C-Class has a few less buttons on the steering wheel :) ). The Germans don't like having touch screens so they need buttons galore to make up for the lack of touch controls (but on the plus side, no fingerprint smudges since there is no way to ever wipe those down). Using Carplay or Android Auto without a touch screen is just ridiculous.

That is actually the E-Class interior (the C-Class has a few less buttons on the steering wheel :) ). The Germans don't like having touch screens so they need buttons galore to make up for the lack of touch controls (but on the plus side, no fingerprint smudges since there is no way to ever wipe those down). Using Carplay or Android Auto without a touch screen is just ridiculous.
Really? Google images letting me down again.

Tesla provided a great solution for the finger print smudges (a microfiber cloth). Cleaning the screen is what stopping at red lights are for. :)

• Funny
Reactions: ℬête Noire
That is actually the E-Class interior ......The Germans don't like having touch screens
nope, you`re double wrong here. That indeed IS the c-class interior and the "touch" part of the screens is in the center console and works really well.

The new A-CLass w177 2018
2018_07_a_16.jpg

C-klass w205 Facelift 2018
Mercedes-C-Klasse-Interieur-Cockpit-Facelift-2018-W205-articleDetail-8afafafc-1146239.jpg

E-Class w213 2018
csm_Mercedes-E-Klasse-Limousine-222_84e96868f9.jpg

Actually in the high-level trims they`ve all become very similar as you can see, the C-class is the "oldest" model atm.
I personally adore the yacht-design of the new e-class, but with all the bells and whistles a "normal" E-Class can get into the 80-90k€ range now.

Last edited:
nope, you`re double wrong here. That indeed IS the c-class interior and the "touch" part of the screens is in the center console and works really well.

2018_07_a_16.jpg

Mercedes-C-Klasse-Interieur-Cockpit-Facelift-2018-W205-articleDetail-8afafafc-1146239.jpg

E-Class w213 2018

Actually in the high-level trims they`ve all become very similar as you can see, the C-class is the "oldest" model atm.
I personally adore the yacht-design of the new e-class, but with all the bells and whistles a "normal" E-Class can get into the 80-90k€ range now.
The Germans seem to really also like buttons.

• Funny
Reactions: kbM3 and FlatSix911
Japan has an answer. ;) My last car could hang with it on the buttons front. A nifty large multi-function dial/button/D-pad control for the center screen is the crown jewel.

2014-Acura-TL-SH-AWD-dash-view-0012.jpg

It's the sliders on the MB steering wheels that are tickling my funny bone, and the steampunk air vents. It's all so whimsically opulent. You have to give that it's mostly internally consistent design that way and if you like that theme you're probably going to love that implementation. It's only the C's center display that doesn't quite fit, is my sense. Maybe it's a better fit seen in person?

Japan has an answer. ;) My last car could hang with it on the buttons front. A nifty large multi-function dial/button/D-pad control for the center screen is the crown jewel.

View attachment 318249

It's the sliders on the MB steering wheels that are tickling my funny bone, and the steampunk air vents. It's all so whimsically opulent. You have to give that it's mostly internally consistent design that way and if you like that theme you're probably going to love that implementation. It's only the C's center display that doesn't quite fit, is my sense. Maybe it's a better fit seen in person?
I must have missed the whole button phase. My previous car was made in 2005.

I must have missed the whole button phase. My previous car was made in 2005.
It's a somewhat natural consequence of having a lot of features. As feature counts have risen, particularly on higher trim vehicles (that's a top trim Acura TL) you need to have something to control all the stuff. That steering wheel has 4 button for handsfree phone, 5 for basics of the audio system, 5 for cruise, and 3 for the menu system in the instrument cluster. Then in the center you've got.....well, a big list. Maybe you could figure out a control system that shrunk the button count but buttons would have to do dual duty, which isn't easy to be clear.

That's really the genius of Tesla's screen. The above systems are already doing it to an extent, pushing stuff onto the screen (and that huge, wacky multi-dimensional spinner control...which actually worked really well) because they're running out of real estate (and price room ;) ) for buttons. Tesla just embraced it, so they can have the two multi-purpose spinner controls.

Last edited:
Reactions: kbM3

2018_07_a_16.jpg

E-Class w213 2018

Yikes! No thanks on any of the those. I’m appreciating the Model 3 interior more the more I drive it.
I wasn’t so sure about the steering wheel at first, but I’m starting to like it more now. I like the small diameter, but I’m still kind of getting used to the thick profile.

It's a somewhat natural consequence of having a lot of features. As feature counts have risen, particularly on higher trim vehicles (that's a top trim Acura TL) you need to have something to control all the stuff. That steering wheel has 4 button for handsfree phone, 5 for basics of the audio system, 5 for cruise, and 3 for the menu system in the instrument cluster. Then in the center you've got.....well, a big list. Maybe you could figure out a control system that shrunk the button count but buttons would have to do dual duty, which isn't easy to be clear.

That's really the genius of Tesla's screen. The above systems are already doing it to an extent, pushing stuff onto the screen (and that huge, wacky multi-dimensional spinner control...which actually worked really well) because they're running out of real estate (and price room ;) ) for buttons. Tesla just embraced it, so they can have the two multi-purpose spinner controls.

We have a 2014 acura mdx - it has a shitty resistive touchscreen and the worst infotainment ergonomics you could possibly imagine. 100s of buttons and it's still 3 presses to adjust heated seats or the HVAC fan.

We have a 2014 acura mdx - it has a shitty resistive touchscreen and the worst infotainment ergonomics you could possibly imagine. 100s of buttons and it's still 3 presses to adjust heated seats or the HVAC fan.
We have one as well and agree on all counts. Why can’t I see song track info when looking at the nav screen?
That being said, it does drive nice. (For an ICE SUV anyway)

2018_07_a_16.jpg

E-Class w213 2018

Oops, the European model is different than the U.S. model and noticed the new C has even more buttons on the steering wheel than the E. Now you need to focus on the steering wheel just to figure out which button you are pressing. Those are getting way way too busy.

Hey, they are trying their best to wean themselves off buttons but it takes time to overcome addictions. Give them a chance. Just so you understand, this is what they are coming from just a few years ago. Current MB interiors are absolutely spartan by comparison:

2014-mercedes-e350-dash-angledjpg.jpg

With apologies to any Germans reading this. My other car is German and I still like it (although whenever I have to drive it instead of the Tesla now feels like punishment) :D.

If we are into the subject of generalisations, I don't really understand why Americans don't like buttons. Some functions are much better executed with buttons.

Or do you really believe that for example opening the glove box by pressing one button is worse than navigating some screen menus to do so?
Or adjusting the side mirror? Button on the door next to the mirror itself versus navigating through menus on the screen?
Manually locking the car from the inside? Adjusting the electric seat position? Etc etc etc.

Honestly, I understand that "cluttered" interiors are not nice, and that the clean looking 3 interior looks great, at least at first glance until you notice the material quality like that hideous piano black for just one example.
But when it comes to comfortably and quickly executing basic functions, having to use a screen for everything slows down things quite a bit, depending on where in the menu the function you want to execute is buried - plus it is more dangerous because you have to take your eyes off the road for much longer.

And don't get me wrong, I don't see this solely as a problem in the 3, any modern car that relies ever more heavily on screens instead of buttons for the most basic functions is an unneccessary hazard imho.

I keep my 3 reservation of course, plus I have ordered an e-Golf recently, which also has a large center screen for many functions (mostly navigation, entertainment and phone), but it still has buttons for the basics. Imho this interior is a great example how the old and new can be combined into something stylish* and uncluttered, yet still highly functional:

eg_int.PNG

*for an economy compact car that is. Of course a premium or luxury vehicle can look more stylish, but at what extra cost? When I compare the Golf interior to that of its competion like the Leaf or the Focus, or even the Ioniq, to my liking it blows all three of them away.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Tony_YYZ