Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From Germany to Russia with the Model S: Blog with Live GPS and Live Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, my wife and I are driving from Germany to Russia with our Model S (well, we are trying :) ). We've been on the road for 5 days now, currently we are a bit behind Minsk in Belarus, heading towards the Russian border. Far away from Supercharger territory, so our mission is to find red plugs somewhere :)

We're trying to be the first German (or maybe even Western European?) Model S at the Moscow Supercharger.

We've set up a blog with Live GPS tracking and Live video streaming (video only, no audio in order to have a little bit of privacy left :D ). Note to mobile/tablet users: Choose "Web version" at the bottom of the page to view the Live GPS + Live video.

URL: Tesla goes East

Regards
Markus

Reactions: GoTslaGo and Vitold
Cool...

I do wonder, however, I thought the Moscow Supercharger had American, not European plugs. But then I searched and found that you confirmed 3 EU and 1 US connector. Terrific. Good luck!

Alright, we're back! :) After 14 days on the road, 6010 km (3734 miles) driven, 7 countries visited, 1153 kWh / 192 Wh/km consumed. Cost for charging on this trip: 25 EUR :)

It was an awesome trip, with some pioneer feeling and also some adventure (when we missed the exit on the M11 in Russia and had to drive 100 km without a single exit and thus without any chance for a charging possibility). I would have loved to cruise Russia for days longer and find more charging possibilites and add them to Plugshare etc. but my wife found that rather annoying/boring... too bad :)

The route was Germany - Poland - Lithuania - Belarus - Russia - Finland - Sweden - Denmark - Germany

There's an animation of the driven track on the blog (the recorded GPS track played in Google Earth): Tesla goes East

Instead of taking the ferry from Helsinki directly to Germany we took it to Sweden and drove home via Denmark.

Highlight of the trip in terms of charging: Made an online reservation for a hotel in St. Petersburg, Russia, late in the evening, just an hour before we arrived and wrote in the comment field: "We're coming by electric car, charging possibility would be nice but not mandatory (even 220V would be fine), thanks." Next morning our phone in the hotel room rings and the guy says: "Hello there, you can now charge your car, we're done." We went downstairs to the yard where the car was parked and found this electrician installing a CEE reg plug 400V 32A (= 22 kW) just for us! Wow! Wow! Again wow! :) Well, they said they used the opportunity so they could offer a new service to future guests with electric car so it was a win-win situation but still, the speed of the install and everything impressed me... details & pics can be found in the blog :)

We streamed video live from the car most of the time (only video, no audio) and since probably no one is going to watch all recorded streams now (univ123 | Bambuser) I made a list of 3 "highlights":

1. Sundown in Finland: Tesla goes East | univ123 | Bambuser
2. Arrival at Supercharger Moscow: Tesla goes East | univ123 | Bambuser (starting at -2:18:15).
3. The longest stream without interruption, 9 hours, Stockholm Sweden to Copenhagen Denmark: Tesla goes East | univ123 | Bambuser

Best mobile networks: Sweden and Poland. Worst mobile networks: Eastern Germany (E-Plus/o2). :)

That's it, thanks to everyone who followed us -virtually- on the blog, live GPS or live stream :)

Cheers!
Markus

Reactions: ggnykk
Alright, we're back! :) After 14 days on the road, 6010 km (3734 miles) driven, 7 countries visited, 1153 kWh / 192 Wh/km consumed. Cost for charging on this trip: 25 EUR :)

It was an awesome trip, with some pioneer feeling and also some adventure (when we missed the exit on the M11 in Russia and had to drive 100 km without a single exit and thus without any chance for a charging possibility). I would have loved to cruise Russia for days longer and find more charging possibilites and add them to Plugshare etc. but my wife found that rather annoying/boring... too bad :)

The route was Germany - Poland - Lithuania - Belarus - Russia - Finland - Sweden - Denmark - Germany

There's an animation of the driven track on the blog (the recorded GPS track played in Google Earth): Tesla goes East

Instead of taking the ferry from Helsinki directly to Germany we took it to Sweden and drove home via Denmark.

Highlight of the trip in terms of charging: Made an online reservation for a hotel in St. Petersburg, Russia, late in the evening, just an hour before we arrived and wrote in the comment field: "We're coming by electric car, charging possibility would be nice but not mandatory (even 220V would be fine), thanks." Next morning our phone in the hotel room rings and the guy says: "Hello there, you can now charge your car, we're done." We went downstairs to the yard where the car was parked and found this electrician installing a CEE reg plug 400V 32A (= 22 kW) just for us! Wow! Wow! Again wow! :) Well, they said they used the opportunity so they could offer a new service to future guests with electric car so it was a win-win situation but still, the speed of the install and everything impressed me... details & pics can be found in the blog :)

We streamed video live from the car most of the time (only video, no audio) and since probably no one is going to watch all recorded streams now (univ123 | Bambuser) I made a list of 3 "highlights":

1. Sundown in Finland: Tesla goes East | univ123 | Bambuser
2. Arrival at Supercharger Moscow: Tesla goes East | univ123 | Bambuser (starting at -2:18:15).
3. The longest stream without interruption, 9 hours, Stockholm Sweden to Copenhagen Denmark: Tesla goes East | univ123 | Bambuser

Best mobile networks: Sweden and Poland. Worst mobile networks: Eastern Germany (E-Plus/o2). :)

That's it, thanks to everyone who followed us -virtually- on the blog, live GPS or live stream :)

Cheers!
Markus
Cool, a 22kw charging installed just for you!! Do people recognize your car as a Tesla or know that it is an EV along the whole trip?

are any of your videos posted on Youtube? There would be tons more people that can see it, rather than hidden in some website.

Cool, a 22kw charging installed just for you!! Do people recognize your car as a Tesla or know that it is an EV along the whole trip?
Some did, for example some teenagers in a small town in Belarus. Some pointing and more staring. And of course you get the confused looks when you pass by someone silently :)

are any of your videos posted on Youtube? There would be tons more people that can see it, rather than hidden in some website.
I don't think they're good enough for YouTube. They were just live broadcasts of our driving, without sound, just for fun. And many vids are lagging because of insufficient mobile bandwidth at times.

Some did, for example some teenagers in a small town in Belarus. Some pointing and more staring. And of course you get the confused looks when you pass by someone silently :)

I don't think they're good enough for YouTube. They were just live broadcasts of our driving, without sound, just for fun. And many vids are lagging because of insufficient mobile bandwidth at times.
the kids are more updated with tech, hehe.

Hi Guys,

I know this is an old thread. Looking to see if someone is will to exchange Tickets to the Bayern / Dortmund game on 11/10/2018.

A lighted applique for either the model "S" or "X" for a pair of tickets to the game. You can PM me regarding the exchange.

Thanks.