Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From Love to Hate in one Roadtrip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've only made two road trips so far but if our nav said you only needed a 10 min charge to get to your final destination I would still charge longer for extra buffer. I'm sure 10 min sounded great considering the family was all there and wife maybe not crazy about EV charging and time spent doing so but I'm the type that would rather be safe than sorry and it goes by fast usually.

Reactions: Evoforce
For long trips you don't want Range Mode in winter. For short trips, it is extremely useful in winter.
Don't use Range Mode in winter. The battery will not be heated and you will have issues. If you do, make sure you turn it off while charging.

Yeah, long trips definitely require supercharging. Hopefully, your charge port will be repaired and you will try again.
Where's this from? I've been told by many employees it will not change the way it handles battery...

• Disagree
Reactions: Evoforce
Where's this from? I've been told by many employees it will not change the way it handles battery...
Range mode prevents the battery heater from running. On a long drive this means your battery might not get warm and then charging is slow, which is bad. On a short trip, it saves energy from being wasted trying to heat the battery which won't get warm enough to matter before your trip is over.

@whitex , I'm tired of reading posts such as the OP and yours that states one failure of a Tesla and then use hyperbole such as "I hate this car!" and "needing to check the car is ridiculous." The use of hyperbole is telling.
I don't think it's a hyperbole. I don't know if you are married with kids, but if you are and you spent a year's salary or more on a car which your wife was skeptical about and then you take the brand new car on a trip and it turns mid-trip out it cannot be refueled causing you and the whole family to be stranded while the company that made it says "nothing we can do, find a service center back during business hours". Wives can get really angry in such situations as they will perceive it as "you are potentially endangering the kids because of a decision I was against from the get-go". That can cause any married guy hate the product and the company, no hyperbole required. You say how "tired" you are of seeing such posts, believe me, your tiredness doesn't compare to a pissed off wife especially when endangering (perceived or real) of the the kids welfare is involved (getting stranded in the middle of nowhere with a dead car qualifies).

Also, it is not the car failure that people have a problem with, it's the way Tesla handled it. If they provided transportation for the family to continue the trip, that would be a positive experience. Instead they just let the customer fend for themselves. Not to mention that they knew about this issue and the affected cars, so they could have contacted the owners or even add a notification in software when someone sets the destination to a super charger - "Sorry to inform your but your car possibly came defective and you should schedule a service center visit before going to a supercharger, or you risk being unable to supercharge".

@whitex
You stated that owners should not be required to check their cars before taking a trip. I pointed out that is not the case. When I hear the word "trip" I think of more than 100 miles.
So? You stated your opinion, backed up by nothing but. You are free to take the car for service inspection before every 100+ mile trip. I don't think Tesla would publicly agree with you on that one as it would imply their cars are really unreliable.

@whitex
Also, the OP's trip was 426 miles
And your point is that delivery inspection just days before is not sufficient to reliably take a 426 mile trip? Or is it that every new Tesla should be thoroughly independently inspected, like when you buy a used car, to make sure there are no hidden issues?

Last edited:
Toolioiep, I know exactly how you feel. I picked up my 75D on December 21 and had the same charging problems. After a lot of jiggling the connector and changing chargers, etc, I would usually get something going. After 30 days, I took it in to Tesla and, after testing for a full day, they ordered in a new charge port. In two days it arrived and was installed, and now all is perfect. I pull up to the charger and plug it in, and Voila! a green light begins to flash.

Don't wait, take it in and tell them you want a replacement charge port installed in the car.

Toolioiep, I too took delivery of a 75D on December 21 and had charging problems from the beginning. At Superchargers and SemaConnect chargers, it always required lots of retries, wiggling the plug, changing chargers, pushing and pulling. Usually I finally got something, but what a pain! People told me there's a problem with charge ports on Model S's made in the last couple of months.

Finally I had time to take it in to Tesla Service Center. After a day of testing, they declared that we needed a new charge port. It came in about two days, and by day three I had the car back and all is working fine. I plug in and immediately get the green light flashing. Life is suddenly good.

So, if you have not already done so, take the car back and ask them to replace the charge port.

As a pilot with two small airplanes, I concur. Before every flight, we "pre-flight" the aircraft, checking everything we can see, move, or touch -- to be sure that it is working as it should. They do the same thing on commercial airliners too -- next time you're waiting at an airport, watch either the captain or the first officer walk around the plane, checking every visible part and piece of the plane.

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa
I do not agree with this statement. Every machine needs to be checked periodically and before an intense or long use. This is true of ICE vehicles and their manuals state such. This is true of industrial equipment in factories, trains, airplanes, etc. It is true of an electric vehicle too.

I can actually say that I don't do this (although I should do it)... When we had ICE vehicle's we just made sure the car had an oil change and that the tire's were in good shape and we were on our way. And the car's went and came back in the same condition they were in before we left.

With our Tesla's we don't do anything but drive and they have NEVER let us down on a long trip.

My understanding is that it doesn't completely eliminate the battery heater however significantly reduces how much it is used. Basically the car just uses the battery heater to make sure the car is warm enough (or not too hot) to function without harming the batteries as they charge or discharge. It basically creates a more liberal temperature range at the low and high end that the battery can be in without running systems to heat or cool the battery. But it won't let the battery be outside of acceptable limits so it doesn't completely disable the heater (or cooler).

Example: Even in range mode if you stay overnight at a hotel and it's really cold and stop by a supercharger to charge up it will heat the battery to allow charging to happen.

I've observed the fact that it greatly reduces use of the battery heater in personal experience. In short trips in winter there is a really big spike in consumption with range mode off that is minimal with it on.

Reactions: hacer
Hardly evidence...

Assuming you remain skeptical that range mode impacts battery heating or cooling: search on "range mode" on this site and there are a number of threads that discuss this including some with graphs showing battery temperatures.

It's also notable that multiple Tesla employees saying things work a certain way is hardly evidence either unless it's a powertrain engineer.

Ohhhhh crap. What was the manufacture date range for this issue, and is there a way to tell from the VIN or whatever if yours is affected? My S is currently "in transit from the factory", but overseas so I assume its on a boat. Not sure if it was considered manufactured in December or January.