TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

From Münster (Germany) to Amsterdam

Discussion in 'Belgium and the Netherlands' started by tsaulial, Apr 27, 2015.

1. tsaulial

tsaulial Member

Hey all,

I'm driving the Model S from Münster (Germany) to Amsterdam on Sunday. The plan is to drive via Zevenaar-SC. I've been driving some miles in Southern Germany, but never at northern Germany nor in Nethernlands.

- Do you have any hints for driving a Tesla in Netherlands? Anything must-know issues?
    - Do you have any ideas of places to visit on that route? (it's a holiday - I've got time to stop for something interesting)

Thanks!

Tuomas,
    Finland

2. Glitch

Glitch Member

If you go via zevenaar than go via Oosterhout and make a stop in Dordrecht they have a beautiful old city center.

3. BvL

BvL Member

Dellft and Leiden both have a nice old city center as well. Both cities have lots of students. If you would visit Alphen aan den Rijn, i.e. Archeon (archeological park) you can charge at my home (walking distance).

4. Jeroen1961

Jeroen1961 Member

Hi Tuomas,

From SuC Zevenaar the normal route is via Arnhem and Utrecht (A12), then continue on the A2 towards Amsterdam.

I don't understand why Glitch and BvL recommend places like Suc Oosterhout, Dordrecht, Delft and Leiden. They're nice but really out of your way. On your route Arnhem and Utrecht are the major cities, but it will take some time to visit them. In my opinion it would be a better option to spend the extra time in Amsterdam.

Have a great trip!

5. Erik-S85

Erik-S85 Member

On the A2 the speedlimit is 100km/h and there is a continuous speed check active.

6. Keezje

Keezje Active Member

#6 Keezje, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    Huh, the guy is from Helsinki ... what does it mean then "out of your way" :tongue:

Have a different recommendation though (nothing to the detriment of Dordrecht, or Delft, or Leiden), and not just because I like it so much, it is at #10 of "52 Places to Go" according to the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/01/10/travel/2014-places-to-go.html?_r=0

Also, when you get here, make sure to check if it is still a good time to make a trip through the area between Amsterdam / Haarlem / Noordwijk / Leiden where I guess the bulb fields will still be in full bloom. Get a beer at Noordwijk beach and be surprised about the long stretches of sandy beaches.

7. ErnstT

ErnstT Active Member

Welcome to Amsterdam! It is a fun city to enjoy and drive the Tesla as long as you like city driving and some narrow streets. Parking at 11kW type2 charging spots is available within a 300m radius of wherever you want to go. Private parking and charging is rare to find in this city. Not sure how you can get a card to activate but plugsurfing works fine. The Rijksmuseum (and others) and the Royal Palace are nice places to visit if it rains. Otherwise, enjoy the city center or outside of town, tulip fields and beaches. Depending on where you stay, some parking garages have charging options. If you would rather park outside the city center and want to use public transport, you can park in my neighbourhood, I have free space available, 10min tram ride to the central station. PM for info, or any other questions. A12-A2 is one route, depending on traffic and part of Amsterdam you are heading, Tesla will navigate you through A12-A1 which is fine too.

8. Maarten

Maarten Active Member

Like the two above stated: definitely the bulb fields, with the colorful flowers in bloom a must-see! That is, right now. Not in a month's time from now, by then it's all over.

9. tsaulial

tsaulial Member

Thanks all! I guess it's straight to Amstedam then, and some flowers too. I have no problem with speed limits, I guess I have my share of free speeds at German side of the route :)

In case youre more interested, here's some additional info: The next Tesla roadtrip: Berlin Amsterdam | Tuomas Sauliala

- Tuomas

10. Maarten

Maarten Active Member

If you are with kids I would not spend too much time at the FastNed charging stations. They will be utterly bored. Have a nice trip.

11. tsaulial

tsaulial Member

12. Edi99

Edi99 Egbert Dijkstra

Tuomas - had a look at your pictures.. some of them are really very niche... Thank you !
    for those who did not take the trouble to have look, here is just one of them..

tesla_full.jpg

13. basvk

basvk Active Member

Very nice, thank you for sharing! :)