Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From Models S to Model 3...Wow these cars are different!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I find amusing is there is even a comparison considering how big of a price difference is.

The reality is what we see in the 3 is a lot of what the 2019 Model S revision will bring.

I expect the 2019 Model S to be a pretty substantial car. That being said I opted to go from the S to a P3D because it's a better fit for me size wise and car type.

The S I see as more of a grand touring type car. It's basically a spaceship and the 3 is a fighter jet.

I get to drive the S every once in awhile when the X or 3 is at Tesla.

One of the things that blew me away about the S is how comfortably 3 people could sit in the back.

And the trunk is canaverous. You can get lost in there.
11D6E72B-1D55-421F-AA53-0F1FFB241498.jpeg

Most flexible setup is a Model X + 3. S really has good overall flexibility for a 1 Tesla setup.

I do hope the S eventually regains flagship status as it is the “signature” Tesla.

However, S is spaked by 3 in relative value terms.

I’ve driven the performance 3 and RWD 3, but neither experience convinced me to give up my S75, but on paper it definitely looks like I should sell my S and get a new AWD 3. I just can’t make up my mind. My least favorite part of the 3 is the dash with the screen protruding from it. It looks fine compared to ice cars, but the dash in the S is just gorgeous and the two screens are more functional. I like having the rear view camera on most of the time. With the 3 you can’t see the navigation and have the rear camera on at the same time. Decisions decisions.

I just picked up my Performance model 3 and I agree that it is annoying you can’t have both the Tesla Nav and the rear view camera on at the same time which I always have in my S90D. I hope they will update this in the future so you can have both on a split screen.. preferably top/down. Otherwise I love my P3D and am eagerly awaiting getting it back from the wrap/tint shop.

Reactions: Chaz
It
Expecting delivery in the next week or two, waiting back for that call after telling them when delivery would work best for us, and I know for a fact the one thing I am going to miss is the cargo space and the lift gate. Test drove the Model 3 a few weeks back, thought it drove and felt great and it drives "like a Tesla" so no real difference there, but when I checked out the trunk space it really hit home the difference. Where as I could stand and put anything almost into the cargo area of our Model S and easily reach anything in there, the opening due to it not being a hatchback on the Model 3 is so much more shorter, I'll probably be bending lower to reach things inside, and boxes and such I could have fit in the Model S won't go in the Model 3. Big boxes aren't going to necessarily fit in the rear door area to the cabin either.

I agree the Model 3 trunk is smaller but because you can fold down the seats unlike in my 2016 S90D so I feel the Model 3 storage space is still quite spacious (P3D will mostly be my commuter car for solo use)

I've been driving a S 90D refresh on a lease which is ending shortly. I had planned on replacing it with an S 100D, but having just done some M3 test drives (both the LR and P3D), I'm waffling with which route to go. Here are some impressions:
  • the S is a more comfortable highway cruiser, a little softer ride and would be better for a family trip with our four person family.
  • Relevant for a longer trip, the storage space in the S is great and easy to access with the hatchback design. I easily slide my bicycle in the back with both wheels attached multiple times a week...
  • the S is sluggish on curvy roads given the weight of the car
  • technology is getting a bit dated which will get addressed in the next refresh
  • interior isn't that much nicer than the M3. The S has a small number of features that the 3 doesn't. The biggest from my perspective is the air suspension with adjustable height which I use frequently. We have some rough roads and steep driveways/curbs, etc. in our area and with the long wheelbase you can actually high center an S if it isn't raised a notch. The other two noticeable features are the auto open/close hatchback and the auto present door handles. The S has a sunroof which isn't an option on the 3. I would not bother with the sunroof if I get another S.
The M3, specifically the Performance version:
  • is much more nimble, I drove it aggressively on a mountain road and the handling was great, driving it was a blast
  • easier to maneuver in tight quarters and around town due to its smaller size
  • less cargo/passenger space, but still good. I could get my bike in the back with the wheels on but it was more effort. I'd probably pull the front wheel off to make it easier if I got the M3.
  • I'm used to the S dual screen/controls but I think I'd adapt to the single screen pretty quickly.
  • P3D compared to S 100D (non-P) accelerates better
  • latest technology, the car may not depreciate quite as fast as an S but that's TBD
Both S and P3D would include free supercharging so that's a wash.

Coming from the S 90D, I would not get the LR 3, not enough acceleration for me. The service centers that I've visited don't have non-P AWDs for test drives so didn't get the opportunity to test that model.

But the biggest difference (obviously) is the price, ~$35K+ between the P3D and S 100D. The difference is greater when I figure all the operating costs as well (annual insurance, registration, etc.). If we didn't have an alternative vehicle for family trips with lots of luggage I'd probably get the S, but as I said I'm waffling and leaning towards the P3D. Interested in additional folks with experience with both cars.

What I find amusing is there is even a comparison considering how big of a price difference is.

The reality is what we see in the 3 is a lot of what the 2019 Model S revision will bring.

I expect the 2019 Model S to be a pretty substantial car. That being said I opted to go from the S to a P3D because it's a better fit for me size wise and car type.

The S I see as more of a grand touring type car. It's basically a spaceship and the 3 is a fighter jet.
The issue for the S is apparently the 2019 refresh will bring an interior refresh, but the rest of the car (battery and motors) will not see a full overhaul and redesign until 2021 following rumored current plans. So in terms of the technology, especially in terms of the improved battery density and weight savings, the S will not catch up with the 3 for another 3 years.

Also if they remove the driver's instrument panel screen in the 2019 S refresh, I think a lot of people will not be happy. People LIKE having the speedometer in front of them. Taking that away will especially annoy current S owners who were thinking of an upgrade to the refresh model.

After a couple of months now, I'm back to mostly driving the S. It feels much more solid whereas the 3 has more of a go-cart feel, which is great too, but different. I really like them both, and for the money the 3 is, of course, a much better deal, but the S has a more secure, rock solid feel about it that is missing for me in the 3, along with the browser, that I use a lot.

I’ve driven the performance 3 and RWD 3, but neither experience convinced me to give up my S75, but on paper it definitely looks like I should sell my S and get a new AWD 3. I just can’t make up my mind. My least favorite part of the 3 is the dash with the screen protruding from it. It looks fine compared to ice cars, but the dash in the S is just gorgeous and the two screens are more functional. I like having the rear view camera on most of the time. With the 3 you can’t see the navigation and have the rear camera on at the same time. Decisions decisions.
I was really nervous about going from the the 2 screens in the S to the 3's single screen. I've got to hand it to the Tesla engineers, this radical design is executed very well. Regarding running the rear view camera while running nav, the rear view camera button is easily accessible on the left part of the screen(with the speedo etc.) so it's super simple to switch it on and off as needed. You'll find almost everything on that center screen where you'd want it and set up for quick activation.

Expecting delivery in the next week or two, waiting back for that call after telling them when delivery would work best for us, and I know for a fact the one thing I am going to miss is the cargo space and the lift gate. Test drove the Model 3 a few weeks back, thought it drove and felt great and it drives "like a Tesla" so no real difference there, but when I checked out the trunk space it really hit home the difference. Where as I could stand and put anything almost into the cargo area of our Model S and easily reach anything in there, the opening due to it not being a hatchback on the Model 3 is so much more shorter, I'll probably be bending lower to reach things inside, and boxes and such I could have fit in the Model S won't go in the Model 3. Big boxes aren't going to necessarily fit in the rear door area to the cabin either.

I'm not a fan of the screen placement, would rather it been vertical like on the Model S. I find sitting in the passenger side it kind of sticks out where you could hit it with your knee if you are a long legged person and depending on how you sit. Not an issue on the driver's side as you encounter the wheel first. I can see where in that early accident the passenger hit the screen and got cut. Having gone vertical would have made that a non-issue. Did notice a lot of glare on the screen when I did my test drive, more so than on our Model S since the screen is more recessed and I don't think the windshield goes back as far on it as on the Model 3. But really think the biggest thing I'll notice is the cargo space. Hope to find out soon! We'll have both cars so can always take the Model S when we need the extra space but for someone who will only have one car I would say that is the biggest adjustment in going from a Model S to a Model 3.

And BTW really wanted to get my old car replaced soon and wanted another Model S. If Tesla had come out with a refreshed Model S with new battery tech, we might have ordered one and kept our Model S as our second car instead of the Model 3. Just didn't make sense to spend the extra money on an MS right now, with our circumstances. The perforated seats might be back on the refresh and I really had wanted a sunroof in my car too so worse case we trade in the Model 3 down the road. Not sure if those options will ever get offered on the Model 3 in the near future or ever. But I will add we love our Tesla and expect any car/s in our near future beyond this Model 3 purchase will be a Tesla as well.
The S is huge hence the tremendous capacity but I gotta say, for a far smaller car you can pack a lot into the 3.

Reactions: suwaneedad

Exactly

Reactions: Chaz
I just drove a PM3 and a new P100D yesterday and the Model 3 felt good but the Model S felt nicer - probably because I'm used to it. Not to mention many of the upgrades in the new MS I paid extra for in 2016 (my 2016 MS actually cost about $10k more than the same configuration in 2018, which is a good thing now).

I thought the single, center screen in the M3 would bother me, or the lack of the full-time rearview camera, but surprisingly, it did not. Using the center screen was very intuitive and having the rear camera while driving wasn't really needed as I could see much more in the M3's rearview mirror than the MS's. Oddly, I felt there was something a bit off with the M3 steering wheel size - or is it just me? Wasn't expecting that.

In the end, I'm still undecided between the two - both are great cars and have their pluses and minuses. To keep the unlimited supercharging and get the $7,500 Federal tax break, I plan to order very soon. For my situation, it is going to be a close call....

My girlfriend was more excited about the heated steering wheel in her BMW X3 than pretty much anything else in the car. I have it on my 3 Series, and I've never turned it on beyond the day I got the car. I guess parking the car in the garage has a lot to do with that.
Mine is parked in a garage too and it is still the first thing I turn on. That preheat update that inc. steering wheel heating was amazing. We've had the LR for part of one winter already (Feb 18 delivery) - I missed it then.

Mine is parked in a garage too and it is still the first thing I turn on. That preheat update that inc. steering wheel heating was amazing. We've had the LR for part of one winter already (Feb 18 delivery) - I missed it then.

I think I'm just different than a lot of people. Cold doesn't bother me nearly as much as heat. I've had heated seats in my cars for over 10 years, and I can count on one hand how many times I've used them.

Reactions: MacGreiner